Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-25-2005, 9:14 AM Reply   
I'm pretty set on getting the Accurate Catalyst rope (A-line w/ 5 3' takeoffs), but not sure on handles. I've done lots of searching on this site, but haven't found the answer I'm looking for.

1) Will the Carbon handles break?
2) Which of the Carbon handles is the most durable, most comfortable? What would you recommend? I know its personal preference, but input helps. I liked the Catalyst carbon handle (smooth feeling), but have heard good things about the Nevin. If not for the carbon, I think I like the Premier handle the best.

Thanks.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       03-25-2005, 9:23 AM Reply   
Brian,

I was a little worried about the handle breaking, too, but I don't think it will. I rode the Accurate Parks carbon handle, and I liked it a lot. I weigh 200 lbs., and I was sure that it'd break as soon as I cut in hard for a raley, but it didn't, and I'm pretty sure it won't... So, I think it's durable enough for about anything. My roommate says that the lightness makes handle passes a lot easier too, but I haven't experienced that yet. Hope that helps.

-Blake
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-25-2005, 9:59 AM Reply   
It won't break from just pulling on it but it will break from smackin it on the board or the boat or whatever. Every one that I've used that's been over 3 months old has fractures in it from where it got bounced off of something. If you drop it while carrying it from your house it'll break, still usable but now you've got a carbon serated edge that cuts the hell outta your hand. I've had it happen in a tournament & it sucked! Go with the Nevin Josh Sanders or Collin Wright. They are incredibly light weight rigid like the Accurate except not exposed Carbon. Lightness doesn't make the handle pass easier I mean really what are we dealing with here? A few ounces? I prefer to have a little weight so you can feel where it is.
Old     (leewilson)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-25-2005, 10:09 AM Reply   
I have the Parks carbon handle. Overall I like the lightness of the handle. The rope attached to the handle somehow got loose, luckily it got loose when I was pulling someone up. If you were doing a flip or spin, it could mean trouble. I have had the handle hit my head before when doing a backroll and a tantrum.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-25-2005, 10:19 AM Reply   
Thanks for the feedback. I'm still researching and another question is whether its worth it to go to a 17" handle. Nevin's website says they have a 17" osmosis. I handle pass fairly regularly as part of my riding. Thanks.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-25-2005, 10:29 AM Reply   
Dude... The 17" handle is huge and kinda gay looking. The Sanders or Wright handle are sweet and have a really nice "machined" grip that is supposed to hold up really well. I'd go Nevin if I were you. I'm not really into the carbon handle thing. By the way, if you didn't know, the Nevin handles aren't carbon fiber. They are flexible on the sides, made of a hard rubber type material.

As far as other handles go: I really like the Premier handle too. It holds up really well. The only handles that I would stay away from are the LF handles and they supposedly are making them better for '05.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-25-2005, 3:44 PM Reply   
Thanks again. Not disputing your knowledge Evan (I've never even seen a Nevin handle), but Nevin advertises its handles as carbon fiber (or hybrid c-f): Nevin :: 2005 Osmosis 15" Handle Get a grip with the carbon fiber Osmosis and never fall again.

Anyways, I don't know any shops that carry 'em. I may just go with the Premier (less $$ and pretty nice). Thanks for the advice...keep it coming if you've got more.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-25-2005, 8:44 PM Reply   
the Liquid Force handles are gonna be the shiz this year. I had a Watson for about the past year and I loved it. It started to fall apart so I glued it back together because I like it a lot.

I'm not a big fan of a rigid handle whether it's carbon or anything. I've ridden with them I just don't think they're my cup of tea.
Old     (gbphantom)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-25-2005, 8:47 PM Reply   
Like Stephan said, if you treat it good it'll last, but if your hard on it the lifespan of it will decline just like anything. Accurate wouldn't release a handle that would break if you cut too hard. I'm not a big fan of carbon handles personally. I used a Parks handle and it hurts hitting it on your hands, and it doesn't allow you to twist it at all, obviously. I know it's sort of cliche, but try to demo them if you get the chance.
Old     (phil06140)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-26-2005, 3:16 PM Reply   
one broke on my friends board and in the act cut his leg and gave him some carbon splinters...
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-28-2005, 1:31 PM Reply   
Apparently LF knew the error in their ways and are warrantying the old handles to the newer style one. Maybe one of these days I'll get my Watson handle back so I can comment on that (its been with LF for over a month now). I do know that they weren't satisfied with the Chinese junk that they made last year. Hopefully their quality control gets better (my Watson handle was a joke and I had to take apart my '05 transits and cut the toe overlay because it was significantly bigger on one side than the other). Whatever.... I still like their product.

As far as the Nevin handles go: Whatever they want to call it, they aren't the carbon fiber that most people would think of. The sides are flexible and made of a hard rubber type material. They are really nice. The grips are made from a single machined piece (read: not molded and glued) that shouldn't ever fall apart. I'd like to try one this year if I can get my hands on it. Ha, ha, lame pun intended.

Peace
Old    chubbydaddy1            03-28-2005, 2:43 PM Reply   
go with the nevin TCH series go to www.buywake.com
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-28-2005, 2:45 PM Reply   
I think you guys are talking about two different handles. Nevin has a handle that is carbon fiber, the handle and about two inches above the grip are carbon, from there it is plasic covered spectra. Then there is the Sanders & Wright handles which aren't Carbon at all, like mentioned above they are a flexible hard rubber thingy. I like them a lot & the grips are incredibly durable, not like my stupid Accurate where the EVA nubs came off.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-28-2005, 3:41 PM Reply   
I think Stephan nailed it.... The Sanders and Wright handles are sick. I think the Carbon thing is over rated.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-28-2005, 7:37 PM Reply   
Guido - what happened to your watson handle? did it come apart at the seam where it was glued together? I just glued mine back together and did a good job so it looks nice and it's holding well. The material on the grip of this year's watson handle is a solid tube that is slid over the bar and glued to prevent the seperating problem. All this I gathered from examining one, so I could be wrong but there's no seam in the new one.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-29-2005, 1:20 PM Reply   
Yeah, mine came apart like yours, but the grip was also really worn out under where my hands were. There werent any grooves left. Like you said the new ones are a "machined grip" that doesn't have a seam. They should hold up a lot better. My handle is with LF right now. I am supposed to get one of the new ones as soon as they have them available as warranty replacements.
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-29-2005, 2:39 PM Reply   
Brian,

I've had the Parks carbon for a few months and am very happy with it. No damage yet to report and the feel/weight is great. The only drawback is that it makes a sickening sound when the person retrieving the line isn't careful and smacks the handle against the side of the boat.
Old    chubbydaddy1            03-29-2005, 4:44 PM Reply   
Thats why you get a Nevin TCH No Sickening sound and no dent on boat or handle !