Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 08, 2007

Old     (gmhdesign)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-18-2007, 11:41 AM Reply   
Fist opportunity to ride in 3 weeks! Got a chance to dial in that 360. It’s all about coming off edge in the trough and leaving the wake flat! That advice really helped out! Thanks a bunch! Had a GREAT DAY! Thanks for taking the Photos Steve! I’ll get yours uploaded to Wally World so you can get your prints online. I’m loving this camera more and more every time we go out.

Later!

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (jkuzma)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-18-2007, 4:00 PM Reply   
that wake look's buttery what's the set-up.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-18-2007, 5:02 PM Reply   
Not to rag on your newly acquired HS FS 3, but as you do them more and more, try to keep your upper body tall and pass the handle above your butt. You're doing what I do: which is to say you dip your shoulders and use your body to spin, rather than using the handle almost 100%. Our way works--and I land about 9 out of 10--but I've been trying like crazy to break that habit because it doesn't look as good and it makes spinning anything past 3 nearly impossible. What has been working for me has been trying to take them bigger and not letting off my edge any (you don't need a lot of edge, but you should never let off your edge for any on-axis spin). This gives you more time to wait and then pull, so you don't feel as rushed. You should have enough line tension to "punish" you if you spin too early by throwing you off axis and also enough that you can literally wait to spin until the way down and still have enough tension to pull and pass. Hope I didn't come off as a jerk and you take this as friendly advice. I just know how frustrating it can be to spin low (with the handle) and slow. I almost landed a HS 5 out in the flats the other day though (and I suck), so keep with it.
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-18-2007, 7:56 PM Reply   
I think passing the handle under the butt looks for stylish. I do it the other way, above the butt.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-18-2007, 8:52 PM Reply   
Jeff, I agree on backside spins, but frontside spins...not so much
Old     (jwr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-18-2007, 10:01 PM Reply   
1. I have a friend who passes under the butt, and it always looks sick.
2. i'm supprised focusing on letting off your edge helped,it is the exact opposite i try to do on about every trick
Old     (gmhdesign)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-19-2007, 5:42 AM Reply   
Fist of all Jeff Vaaler, thanks for crapping on my great DAY! Geeze! (Just Kidding) I’m always glad to get advice from other riders. ;-) And I totally agree with everything you’ve said. I didn’t realize how “under the butt” I was passing until Steve took that photo.

1. For some reason when I take it into the flats I can’t land it??? I totally agree with the philosophy of never coming off edge at the wake… I mean if your going to do it, DO IT BIG right. For some reason though, leaving the wake flat really helped me land the FS 360.

2. Justin, I hope I’m not giving bad advice here??? But when I get to the trough I go flat and I almost leave the wake on my toeside edge. (just off the top of my head) I think this pops me straight up with less line tension. I’ve been trying to learn this trick for about 2 years now and loading the line just never seemed to work for me????

3. What’s up with all the J-names?

4. James, it’s sad to say that I don’t know what kind of boat I’m riding behind! It’s a 2006 Malibu… and I think it’s a V Ride??? Maybe a VLX??? The onboard ballast tanks are full, there’s about 500lbs of lead tire weights in custom made PVC Tubes that we place in the lockers on either side of the engine. The tubes can be moved from locker to locker depending on wake shape. (Lead Tire Weights can be acquired for free from most automotive shops) A 500lb tube sack in the bow, three people onboard, and the wedge is down. I’d have to guess about 19-22 hundred lbs of weight running at 23 mph. We have slowly, over the course of a year, added and added until now I think we have it dialed in pretty well.

The wake looks washed out on the right side in the roll 2 revert photo but it cleans up as soon as the rider moves to the other side of the wake. So it basically cleans up on whatever side the rider moves to… works out pretty well.

Thanks for the advice Jeff!
Old     (gmhdesign)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-19-2007, 6:29 AM Reply   
Here’s a photo showing the shape of the wake when approaching it from the opposite side.

Upload
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-19-2007, 6:40 AM Reply   
Greg, letting off your edge will certainly help keep you on axis and help you get the handle, but, because the tension isn't there, it forces you to throw your body into the spin by dipping your shoulders. From the looks of it, you're a pretty good rider with a lot of pop (I want your R2R!), so you'll be able to figure it out in no time now that you've seen yourself on camera. And by going big, I just meant try boosting it straight up more...I wasn't trying to land a 5 in the flats; I would have much preferred the transition. Come into the wake slow, keeping the same edge pressure throughout your cut, so you're not loading the line too tight, but you still have enough tension that one pull on the handle rotates you all the way around. Keep up the good riding.
Old     (gmhdesign)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-19-2007, 6:51 AM Reply   
Thanks again Jeff.

and not to beat a dead horse but here is one more photo and an animated gif if anyone has more advice.

In the giff you can see me come off edge and pass under the butt.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/wake1ghuth/Lake/360landedsmall.gif

Upload

I stood tall and passed at the small of my back but I'm off axis and I doubt I landed that one.

I'll try pulling more on the handle.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-19-2007, 7:03 AM Reply   
The giff looks really good. Real smooth. I think a lot of people learn 3's that way, and then, as they get more comfortable, they start spinning later and figure out how to spin faster using the handle. In the meantime, there's nothing to be ashamed of with your 3's...very fluid looking.

By the way, the position you're in in the picture is VERY familiar to me
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-19-2007, 7:24 AM Reply   
I see what you are saying about coming off your edge and it allows the line to be slack enough to pass it. If you hold your edge a little more up the wake and use the line tension to get a good pull on the rope your spin will get much easier and you wont slide the rest of it around on the downside of the wake. Spin more with the handle and keep your head up most importantly... practice makes perfect

(Message edited by wakebordr11 on June 19, 2007)
Old     (gmhdesign)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-19-2007, 8:12 AM Reply   
Thanks for the help guys! Who knew practice could be this much fun!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-19-2007, 8:23 AM Reply   
Nice job! I'm still trying to get things spinning. In your gif, looks like you start rotating your head/hips/shoulders and just put the handle back there to grab. like you pull yourself to the boat to create the slack, instead of pull yourself around. looks good. I'll be working on these...
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-19-2007, 8:24 AM Reply   
slack: in addition to coming off edge at the wake...
Old     (eyedvride)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-19-2007, 9:03 AM Reply   
06 Vride stock 250s rear, 400 stock in locker, 600 lbs lead, 350 sack in the walk way and v foil wedge at 23 mph and 70' 3 people in the boat, really just 2.5 (wife only ways about 100 lbs :-) )

So, 1850 plus the wedge. It's very solid and poppy. And like any wake with the pull of the rider, the opp side washes.

Nice work Greg, R2Rs are still the best I've seen.
Old     (eyedvride)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-19-2007, 9:05 AM Reply   
Oh, and the gif wake is the same boat except no wedge and only stock ballast.
Old     (gmhdesign)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-19-2007, 9:25 AM Reply   
Thanks Diego. The 06 V Ride is such a great boat, and very well crafted. Wish I had the $$$Coin$$$. Not that they are over priced… I think you got a lot for what you’ve paid for.

Thanks for the props on the R2R. I’m working up the “Nards” to start on the Half Cab Roll. I came really close last year behind a fully weighted 220 who’s wake was as big as me. My HC 180s are big, grabbed, and floaty but I loose the height when I try to put the roll in.

I need to start grabbing the R2R as well. Currently I can’t grab any of my inverts and I don’t know what the deal is, I guess you just have to man up and do it????
Old     (gmhdesign)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-19-2007, 11:04 AM Reply   
Just thought I'd show "Diego", and Steve some love too since I have the images and my boss is out of town. I hope they don’t mind me posting photos of them????

Steve is starting to poke his grabs out nicely!

Upload

And I love the way Donny flashes the bottom of his board on this hard to reach grab!

Upload
Old     (other1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-20-2007, 10:27 AM Reply   
Damn, I did a pretty good job with those pix. Must be the camera! Wish I would have had it yesterday when Murray was riding!
Old     (gmhdesign)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-20-2007, 10:39 AM Reply   
This camera is BA! Matt has the same one, where was his??? I bought that camera after riding with Matt last year. I liked his camera so much I went out and bought one.

How was Murray btw... who all was out with you guys? The weather man scared me into going into work! Bummer! It never rained here in Nelsonville!