Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Tsg137)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-04-2011, 12:59 PM Reply   
Hi All,

Has anyone heard or knows of someone who has installed a vapor detector (inside the engine compartment) on a v drive boat? I am having a debate w/ a friend and i do not think it is necessary if i follow the mfg instructions (e.g. blower for 4 mins before start up, at idle, etc.)...

I know that humans can detect gasoline vapor at 250 PPB (parts per billion) and the LFL(lower flammable limit) is 17000 PPM (parts per million) and UFL (upper flammable limit) is 76000 PPM is the only range where you can go boom... any thoughts... Thanks.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-04-2011, 1:24 PM Reply   
I really don't think its that important. Think you only need to run the blower if you're in really hot weather, and then if you're happy with running the blower every time I'd say you're set
Old     (Tsg137)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-15-2011, 6:53 AM Reply   
Thank you. I called a few dealers as well and they indicated that they have never heard of this being install on a v drive boat either.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-15-2011, 10:14 AM Reply   
Hot weather doesn't have anything to do with why the blower is on a boat. The blower is designed to clear any gas fumes from inside the engine compartment, which can accumulate almost any time, but especially after fueling up the boat or flooding the engine (like on a cold start).

In the last few years someone figured out that the blower can be used to cool the engine compartment, which seems to help with the vapor lock problems many guys are having. Vapor lock definitely seems to be worse as the weather gets hotter. So running the blower a lot seems to help both situations. My blower is so quiet that I run it a lot & people rarely notice it.... unless their sitting back on the swimstep by the vent.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-15-2011, 10:23 AM Reply   
Our rear v-drive hatch is on a hydaulic ram - we just crack it was we're lowering the boat (no blower in the boat anymore)... and we've never had a problem.... but I will promise there has been plenty of times we've forgotten
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       08-16-2011, 9:09 AM Reply   
Yup, the first start up of the day, I open the engine cover too. I remember to becasue that is where I put my Perko switch. SMART!
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-16-2011, 4:07 PM Reply   
A blower is less that $20, is pretty quiet, and doesn't really drain the battery much. Why not just run the dang thing? I turn mine on when I pull the straps off the trailer, and usually have it going while the boat is running. At worst I could be wearing out the blower slightly quicker.