Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old    whitechocolate            01-12-2005, 7:25 PM Reply   
Im starting a install on a friends X-2. I want to put a sub in this location @ the drivers feet. There is a black fiberglass foot rest that is in my way. I want to cut it out and away. But I wanted to ask if any one has done this or know's whats underneath, before I do it, and if cutting ths away will be a problem. My main question. Is the floor finished underneath this foot rest like on a SAN

I have cut the foot rest away on SAN's before and its not a problem but never on a Mastercraft

Here is a photo of the fiberglass foot rest im talking about
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-12-2005, 10:08 PM Reply   
Grant, isn't that an x-9? I didn't think the x-2's had the recessed foot well.
Old     (mc_driver)      Join Date: Jan 2002       01-13-2005, 12:34 AM Reply   
Looks like an X9 to me, also. It looks like it provides structural support - that's a pretty thick piece of material.

Post pics of the finished product. I have a 12" mounted in the panel that's just above that footrest.

You have the seat out - get down and stick your head up in there and take a look see. . Or remove the front seat cushion, I think you can get a look from the backside.
Old    whitechocolate            01-13-2005, 12:08 PM Reply   
My bad it is a X-9, The fiberglass price is not attached to the left side of the dash so I wouldnt think its a structure peice like you suguested, If it did tie into the side of the walk threw I would be more unsure of cutting it out. It looks like it ties into the gunnel or side of the boat and the floor of the boat. But I wouldnt think it would offer much suport.
Old    whitechocolate            01-13-2005, 12:13 PM Reply   
Ral You must be running your 12 in a open air type of set up because I dont see alot of room there with out cutting the foot rest out.

Im gonna run a 12 W-7 in that location and I need to make some room. I need to re-locate the heater and the fuse pannel and Perfict pass boxe's. Bal Bla Bal.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       01-13-2005, 7:51 PM Reply   
I think it is probably there for structural support. Is there one on the passenger side? I could only think it would be there to create a higher point for structural integrity. Look at pic below-

I would leave it in, otherwise you open yourself to all kinds of problems with gel cracking. Maybe it does provide the same support for the drivers side like is found on the rear facing passenger seat? You know how the passenger seat is all molded into the floor and follows all the way around.

image/bmp
x-9 floor1.bmp (135.5 k)
Old     (mc_driver)      Join Date: Jan 2002       01-14-2005, 1:33 AM Reply   
Yes Grant, it is open-air. Never really got around to designing a box to make use of the limited space up in there, and still have the needed airspace for the sub - my idea was having a slide-in enclosure that extended as far into the space beyond the footrest and outward (rearward towards driver) to obtain the airspace and maintain legroom.

BTW, how much airspace would an average 12" need - 1.5 or 2 cu. ft.? I could see fitting a tube in there, but need to figure the length of tube I would need.

(Message edited by mc_driver on January 14, 2005)
Old    whitechocolate            01-14-2005, 9:58 AM Reply   
Luke: there is nothing like it on the passenger side. IMO it has nothing to do with any sort structural support. I think the only reason it ties into the side of the boat is so that it has more strength to support itself. If it was tied into the wall that is the walk threw then I would be worried about it being flexy. And the dash having lost some structural support, But this is not the case.

I have a friend that has a 2002 X Star and he says the top deck/window frame is some what flexy. And that his window has had some aligment problems and I have seen the same is true with Judes X-9. "Dam Master Craft's" LOL

RAL: The sub im going to use will need s 1.375 Cubic feet for a sealed box. Im guessing with the footrest removed there is like 4-5 cubic feet back there.
Old     (mike_d)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-14-2005, 10:54 AM Reply   
I have cut the foot rest out of an X-7 and an X-9. I put 2 10s there in both boats but what I did was acually just cut the holes open for the subs then pulled all of the foam out and sealed it with fiber glass. Anyway it can be done its just a pain in the butt. Lets just say u will need a sawzall
Old    whitechocolate            01-14-2005, 11:22 AM Reply   
Mike: Thanks for your imput. Thats just the Info I was looking for, someone that has done it and knows what the they are talking about. Thanks Again
Old    whitechocolate            01-14-2005, 5:24 PM Reply