Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-12-2011, 3:19 PM Reply   
I need a new "boat board" for riders 160+. I'd like it to be forgiving enough to learn on but fast enough for low intermediates to have fun. Pretty sure I'd like it to be surf style. Durability is also an issue. I don't thrash my gear but I'm not going to put it in a gun safe after every set either.

I know that the inland surfer blue lake fits this bill but are there others? Cost is an issue, though I'm ready to spend for the right board. I do not have the ability to demo boards in my area.

Willing to buy used too if you are holding the perfect board.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-12-2011, 3:28 PM Reply   
the new Mucus from Inland Surfer seems like it will be a good boat board. Its going to be about 500 i think which makes it less than the other Inland surfer boards. It wont be out til march or april though probably
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xc5MqbeDdc
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-12-2011, 6:50 PM Reply   
Where are you located? Lots of great boards around that weight.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-12-2011, 8:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffymahoney View Post
Where are you located? Lots of great boards around that weight.
Reno, NV.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-12-2011, 8:46 PM Reply   
shawn, in may there will be a big wakesurf event at camp far west which is about 1.5-2hrs from reno. there will be tons of boards to demo and buy there. that would be the best option if you are not in a hurry.

but you will definitely see that most wakesurf boards they are decent are pretty pricey ($600+)
the Inland Surfer Squirt seems to be a great price point wakesurf board, but it isnt surf style. The cheapest surf style boards are the grind water boards and the Mucus from Inland Surfer will be probably the cheapest once it's out.
You can find grind waters pretty cheap online right now, especially on ebay
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-12-2011, 9:09 PM Reply   
I handled a grindwater at the wakeboard comp here last July. It looked like it would ding if I coughed on it. Are they durable?

That camp far west event is intriguing. My wife's B-day is mid-May, so that could interfere, but maybe I could make it work.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-12-2011, 9:29 PM Reply   
shawn, they are very fragile from what i have heard. They are glassed pretty lightly. The strongest surf style boards are Inland Surfers, but that also makes them a tad heavier.
There are so many great brands out there but most probably wouldnt work for a boat board for you because of price and durability. maybe a used Shred Stixx Ja Mako would be good for you. They are as durable as any real wakesurf board (dont drop it) and seem to work for a lot of riders. New they are $600 but maybe you can find one used.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-13-2011, 2:15 PM Reply   
I 2nd the Ja Mako. That's what everyone above 150 learns to surf on my boat, it's a fun board and you can progress quickly on it. I can even get air on it. If they are smaller then we rock a thresher.
Attached Images

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-13-2011, 2:15 PM Reply   
Not huge air, but no fins touching counts!
Old     (peettee79)      Join Date: Sep 2010       01-13-2011, 2:42 PM Reply   
I second what Duff Said, Both the thresher and Ja Mako will be perfect for your range, plenty of room to grow on both.

Good luck.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-13-2011, 2:56 PM Reply   
Also there are tons and tons of boards out. Most are crap. Here are a few surf style (sorry if I missed one), Walker Project, Shred Stixx, Lakewakes, Stretch, Inland Surfer etc...
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-13-2011, 4:45 PM Reply   
Duffy, thanks that's some real world feedback of the sort that I was looking for! How's the durability on the shred stixx? Like I said, I don't thrash my gear, but it will be in the board rack and we might hit rough water from time to time. Do the boards dent really easily? I understand that glass boards will dent, but I don't want to destroy a board just because we brought it with us.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-13-2011, 8:06 PM Reply   
Well you need to learn to take care of them. Both production shred stixx and inland surfer are tuff. But they will last and be better boards if you take care of them!
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-14-2011, 8:11 AM Reply   
I'll second the Lakewakes,as well as the Walker Bazooka.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-14-2011, 8:14 AM Reply   
your too nice dude! people learning on my boat use our old hyperlite coex.... or the LF venture we have. No body rides my custom Elevation!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-14-2011, 8:29 AM Reply   
They have to prove themselves on the thresher or the ja mako before the are allowed to touch my custom boards
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-14-2011, 10:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
They have to prove themselves on the thresher or the ja mako before the are allowed to touch my custom boards
duffy any word on the new boards?! You always have the scoop haha. Im still collecting vid to be on the flow team!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-14-2011, 10:41 AM Reply   
When I have details on my 2011 custom hazen I will post them
Old     (StanleyWheelhouse)      Join Date: May 2010       01-14-2011, 2:31 PM Reply   
pretty sure i got the last elevation/chase models for 2010. the board is the shiznit!!!! this is also a board i would recommend for beginners. the board is easy to ride as a beginner yet offers excellent growth potential.

the thresher is also a great board. it does not have the pop and release of the hazen/elevation model however. if cruising and slashing is your JIG go with the thresher. If bustin out is your JIG go with the hazen. i have owned 5 shred stixx boards and the one Nick built for me and Chase brought to me is the most improved board i have had vs the other five models we have owned. Chase was also very impressed with the improvements nick made. IMHO you cant go wrong with either.

results are below

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-14-2011, 3:41 PM Reply   
Thanks for showing me up wheelhouse
Old     (StanleyWheelhouse)      Join Date: May 2010       01-14-2011, 7:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Thanks for showing me up wheelhouse

Dude it's the board and riding with Chase. Come on down!!!!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-16-2011, 9:58 AM Reply   
Dude come up with a time and I would love to come surf! Where do you live?
Old     (StanleyWheelhouse)      Join Date: May 2010       01-17-2011, 7:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Dude come up with a time and I would love to come surf! Where do you live?
Houston. We will get the camera crew Chase my crew and go shred. April will be good.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-17-2011, 9:31 AM Reply   
Sick dude I may be down! I will be super rusty. Haven't surfed since Oct. Unless you count powder