Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-14-2007, 10:19 AM Reply   
I was at a ski show last night and saw Gino (the guy that jumped the boat on Stunt Junkies), that guy is nuts... Anyways, after see that I have decided that I need to get my hands on one of these things. For the guys out there that do it what is a good starter set up to buy? Looking online I'm finding either Sky Ski or Air Chair and they are about $1500 new. There are a few used ones on eBay also for sale (a little cheaper)... Question is does anyone have one lying around they want to part with for cheap? Or can anyone give me some information on what I should be looking for? I'm about 6' 200 lbs if that is any help...

Thanks
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-14-2007, 10:32 AM Reply   
From what I am hearing, you want to stay with Sky Ski.
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-14-2007, 10:36 AM Reply   
I managed to get one off of Ebay for $1200 shipped with the bag(VERY important to have), spare strap. I opted for the sky ski as I the construction looked a little stronger. They all originated from the same designers and can be upgraded as you progress. It is the most money you will spend on a toy but they are absolutely AWESOME, very easy to get up on but hard to master. It does not put much strain on your body, but I would recommend a helmet of some sort as you can smack your face pretty hard like on a kneeboard. I use an damaged full face MX helmet with some holes drilled in it.
Old     (air_junky)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-14-2007, 10:58 AM Reply   
Hey Aaron, Trevor is right, Sky Ski's are upgrade-able so you can get better wings, towers & boards as you progress and figure what you like. We also use all billet aluminum components for better strength and performance. If you have any questions I'm happy to help however I can.
Jake@SkySki.com
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-14-2007, 11:24 AM Reply   
I have a buddy that might part with his for cheaper than most. I will let you know if I can get a hold of him. I find it a lot of fun, but to me not as exciting as wakeboarding.
Old     (jeff_altman)      Join Date: May 2002       08-14-2007, 12:53 PM Reply   
http://www.airchair.com/bargain/bin.htm

The price went up on this, but back when I bought it about a year ago it was $1000 shipped. Now it is $1250 plus shipping. You can call and they might hook you up, they did mine for free shipping when I ordered.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       08-14-2007, 3:09 PM Reply   
I've been foiling for a few years now and went from the AC to the SS. You can get a newer sky ski 2 piece billet foil pretty cheap and they ride soo much nicer than the standard air chair. The SS is easier to upgrade. You may not notice yet but Geno is one of the only pros riding air chair. It's a good foil don't get me wrong, but there are so may other options with sky ski. Check out foilfreaks.com

You can pick used foils on there and it has a great forum that will answer all your questions. Lot's of pros post on there and are very helpful to people starting out. You may spend a few more $$ to get a newer sky ski pro, but if you like foiling you'll save money in the long run by not having to upgrade everything. It takes a little more time to learn than boarding and can be frustrating, but the big air and inverts are worth it if you give it some time. I haven't touched a board since the first time I came out of my wake roll and was still looking down the rope onto the top of the tower. (I'd blow my old knees out if I tried to go big like that on a board).

I just noticed your from FL. Give Tim a call at eastcoast hydrofoils and visit their site. I live 2 hours from sky ski itself and bought my foil from Tim in Fl. He has used foils also. He'd prolly be able to hook you up with a test ride/lesson.

(Message edited by bstroop on August 14, 2007)
Old     (dgarland0)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-14-2007, 8:42 PM Reply   
I happen to read this post today and then saw this on Phoenix Craigslist, check it out.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/spo/397335714.html

dg
Old     (by03lsv)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-14-2007, 10:34 PM Reply   
THANKS I am all over it
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-15-2007, 10:17 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the info guys... Went with a Sky Ski SS Pro form Eastcoast Hydrofoils... Should be here on Friday, I'm stoked to try it out.
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-15-2007, 12:35 PM Reply   
Congrats. Post some pics up when you get a chance.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-15-2007, 1:50 PM Reply   
What'd you get that for anyway? I'm thinking of a sky ski as well.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       08-15-2007, 9:40 PM Reply   
aaron,
it would be in your best interest to try and hook up with someone who knows how to ride if you can. You'll pick it up soo much faster with some good instruction. Get on foilfreaks.com and read some of the tutorials. If you have any questions about the ski or tips on riding shoot me an email or register on foilfreaks and post up..............congratulations on the new ski. You wont be sorry you got that one as your first one.

B
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-16-2007, 5:55 AM Reply   
I really wish I knew someone that rode one around here. If I did I would have probably been able to try theirs out before I dropped a boat load of cash on one. The biggest question I have is how fast? Do you ride wakeboard speed or faster? I'm sure once I figure out how to get up on the thing we'll go from there and get it dialed in... Thanks again for all the help. When it shows up I'll post a pic of it.
Brett - Way to much...
Old     (air_junky)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-16-2007, 8:28 AM Reply   
To learn how to get up and just ride the board you go slow, like 12-15 mph. Once you figure that out you will bump the speed up a bit to around 18mph. Also in the learning stage you want to be leaning way forward, hands out at arms length and shoulder height. This position will keep you off the foil, and down on the board where its more stable. Once you get that start sitting up straight and getting your hands down into your lap. As soon as you start sitting up you start rising up on the foil. Small movements go along way, the hydrofoil is very sensitive and will respond to even the slightest weight shift. Tim @ eastcoast ought to know of someone in your area, hit him up on that. If he doesn't then let me know where you're at in FL and I'll find someone close to you.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-16-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
Thanks for the tips Jake, Tim told me I can come out and ride with him and his crew anytime but he is in Jacksonville which is about 5 hours away. I'm in the Panhandle (between Destin & Pensacola) if you know of anyone let them know they are welcome on the boat anytime in exchange for some pointers.
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-16-2007, 4:27 PM Reply   
Ditto what Jake said.

Here's a little more detailed info. For getting out of the water lean way back and push with your feet. As soon as you feel the deck is about half way out of the water, lean way forward almost to the point that your chest is on your knees. Keep your arms extended. This position should keep the deck on the water so you can get the feel of how to steer it. Steering is done with your knees and/or by leaning from the waist down from one side to the other. Using your knees if you want to go left move your left knee out. To the right would be the right knee out. Remember to have your driver keep the speeds down low at this point. Once you think you're ready to try the foil, do what Jake said with the body position. Also, if the ski is going up you can make it go down by leaning forward or raising the handle higher. Hands up, ski down, hands down, ski up.

It can be a little frustrating when learning, but once you do learn the basics it's like riding a bike and you do things to correct other things without even thinking about it.

I also wear a helmet (ProTec) not so much for protection from the foil, but for protection from the water when I do those head first crashes. Also to protect the eardrums. It's hard to fall "right" when you've got all that weight strapped to your ass.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-21-2007, 12:35 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the tips guys... Sky Ski showed up on Friday and a few hours later we were on the water trying it out... I got up the first try and was on the foil the second, and even managed to jump it out of the water on my second set (yeah it was on accident but who cares). My only complaint is how big this freak'n thing is. I really need a rack, any body have any recommendations? I have any old Wake Designs tower (2" dia. piping) on my boat. I have to get this thing off the floor and out of the way or I can see it sitting in my garage more than it should.

Here is a picture of the ski...
Upload
Another
Upload
Picture of the boat, I really want to get the rack above the board rack on the on the port side. Not sure if you can see it or not.
Upload
Any help?
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-21-2007, 1:01 PM Reply   
Check here www.foilfreaks.com

Someone should be able to help you out.