Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-13-2004, 9:10 PM Reply   
I think I have this fuel filter /water separator:

How do you get this thing open to replace the filter unit? Do you use a oil filter wrench? What about the 2 brass plugs on the top and the one on the bottom? Any tips??

I backed out the 2 brass plugs on the top and now I'm wondering if they were "set" to a certain depth for fuel flow reasons or do you just snug them back down all the way? Thanks........
Old    mgamble            05-14-2004, 4:18 AM Reply   
Snug them back down, check for leaks. The bottom one, when loosened, will drain the fuel, or at least I believe it will. The black part should be threaded onto the brass part, and can be removed w/an oil filter wrench. It might have an element inside that can be replaced. If those brass fittings on top leak, take em out and use pipe dope or teflon tape on the threads and put them back in and you should be fine. Good luck.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-14-2004, 6:56 AM Reply   
i had the same type of filter in my boat and ended up trashing it. skidim sells kits to switch to the spin-on type of filters that everyone sells. i didn't look too hard but couldn't find replacements for the one you have.

the kit is pretty cheap, $40 if i remember. you find a place to secure the base, run the fuel lines, and spin your filter on.
Old    oshensurfer            05-14-2004, 8:48 AM Reply   
Gents, In many boats there's a difference between the "Fuel Water Separator" and the "Fuel Filter". At least on mine it's two separate devices.

(Message edited by oshensurfer on May 14, 2004)
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-14-2004, 6:13 PM Reply   
Scott...as far as I know...this one does both.

Thanks for the input guys!