Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old    bigbeats            10-29-2003, 8:34 AM Reply   
Hi, I am thinking of switching from a Trip 138 to an Obrien Player 143. Since the Trip is pretty fast, once I make the switch will the player be too slow for me? But I've heard that the player has some incredible pop due to its large rocker. What say you guys??
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-29-2003, 8:59 AM Reply   
The 3-stage pop outweights the speed factor for me.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-29-2003, 9:04 AM Reply   
POP Rocks... good candy too
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-29-2003, 9:05 AM Reply   
3 stage rocker doesn't necessarily mean more pop.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            10-30-2003, 8:26 PM Reply   
My Premier, with a subtle 3 stage is a lot slower than my Parks with an abrupt 3 stage. I think it is more than just the rocker.
Old     (muddyboss)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-30-2003, 8:59 PM Reply   
hey, i was usin a trip and loved how fast it was, then my bro left town and i got his board an Evo. Since it was newer i thought i would give it a try. The trip had a rocker of 2inch with the Evo at 2.4inchs. Both of these boards are too small for my body weight but when riding the Evo it was a real struggle to get upto the speed and turning that i had with the trip. I kept at the Evo thou and now like that one better. Its slower on the water, but seemed to be more direct with the jumps and landings, where as the trip was a bit unpredictive.
Old     (muddyboss)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-30-2003, 9:05 PM Reply   
Also gotta say i wouldnt want a board that went any slower than this. I should be riding around the 143 sizes so that might make a difference. But will a rocker of 3inch really kill the speed. Its a good question.
Old    veganx            10-31-2003, 12:11 PM Reply   
Rootc and Jim are right. There are many factors that go into how a board rides. These must all be considered together before you can come to a safe assumption as to how a board will ride. All other things being equal, a three-stage rocker board will have a more abrupt pop (straight up and down) than a continuous rocker board. This isn't saying it has more pop, just a different style pop. Similarly, all other things being equal, a board with more rocker will turn faster, land softer, and accelerate slower than a board with less rocker. However, when you start changing other factors, such as; number of, depth, shape, and placement of fins, tail shape, channels, rail profile, etc. it becomes difficult to board X will be faster than board Y simply because it has less rocker.
Old    wakerider3            11-01-2003, 11:39 AM Reply   
let me throw my two cents into the mix, bird- I think you are right for the most part aside from 3 stage landing softer. 3 stage boards are flat through the middle which makes them land hard, definite drawback to 3 stage rocker. That flat spot is not put there to make the board land hard but increase the speed of the board. If your board had 12" rocker it would be super slow but with only 2.5-3" rocker lines, a 10" flat spot will make it perform as well or better than a continuous rocker. Hyperlite boards such as the parks and byerly make up for the hard landings by putting the v down the center of the bottom, very nice.
Old    veganx            11-03-2003, 1:18 PM Reply   
Where did I say three-stage lands softer? No, no, no, that would be crazy.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-04-2003, 6:40 AM Reply   
3-stage boards aren't faster then continuous rocker boards. Again - The rocker in a board does not dictate board performance. Lots of other design issues to account for.

Gus - your wrong about the purpose of the 3-stage rocker... It has nothing to do with speed in design. The 3-stage rocker is designed to get a specific pop off the wake. (I can explain in detail if you like) Go tell Shaun Murray that a 3-stage rocker performs better than a continuous rocker. It's a matter of personal preferance