Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-02-2009, 10:02 AM Reply   
Looks pretty good, 720p/60 dropped in a 24p timeline for the slo-mo. A little jumpy given the 1/1000th shutter but very clean looking.

Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-02-2009, 11:01 AM Reply   
uhhhh!!!! I cannot wait until the Nikon D3x!!!!!! 14 days! Fingers crossed!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-02-2009, 6:08 PM Reply   
Yep Nikon needs to hit a HR with the D3X, Canon just owns the DSLR video market right now.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-03-2009, 1:35 AM Reply   

Upload
Old     (steve_b)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-03-2009, 6:19 AM Reply   
I'm a Nikon guy but I guarantee the D3x will be FAR more expensive than the 7D. For someone who is going to use their DSLR mostly for video but still want a mass of still photo opportunities, the 7D seems to be the camera for them. Someone who wants more of a still camera with the ability to shoot quality video....maybe the D3x would be their body.
Either way, the next few years in digital media is going to be insane. RED has raised the bar very high, but has failed to deliver at a reasonable time. All of the Scarlet buyers, who are still waiting, have far more options now and most at a fraction of the cost.
Hard to beat a RED, but also hard to turn away from spending 30% of the money and getting something that the viewer could never tell the difference.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-03-2009, 7:17 AM Reply   
Yep, I watched that vid too Scott, there's actually another one called "perya"

that's pretty well done as well.

I didn't realize until I started researching all this that Philip Bloom had dumped his EX1/3 in favor of the 5D2 and now 7D and that there's a whole new group of Indies using these things. Those Redrock Micro and Zacuto rigs cost 2-3 times as much as the 7D body!
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-03-2009, 11:56 AM Reply   
All these new dslr cameras are a great addition to your kit but by no means a replacement for a high end video camera. I'm going to be picking one of these up very soon instead of a 35 adapter. Still haven't decided between the 7d or the panasonic gh1 yet. Really leaning towards the panasonic though.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-03-2009, 2:02 PM Reply   
Here's another little tidbit from Mr. Bloom...

quote:

I had a very nice email from Alex Buono, the SNL DP who recently shot the new title sequence on the 7d and 5d as well as loads of other bits and pieces. They normally use film, Cinealta, Varicam or the HVX but they shot on the 7d and 5d for the first time recently. They wanted to shoot the new title sequence with the 7d after seeing how good it looked after seeing my little Dublin’s People short apparently which is very flattering.

http://philipbloom.co.uk/2009/09/29/saturday-night-live-use-canon-7d-and-5d/

There are some frame grabs from the opening sequence in the above link. Maybe the new sequence will debut tonight?

(Message edited by scott_a on October 03, 2009)
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-03-2009, 2:14 PM Reply   
Oh don't get me wrong, these cameras really cannot replace a GOOD camera but for smaller web jobs (and fun projects!) they have become the ticket. Plus as a professional photographer AND filmmaker (I guess my profession is still up for debate but that is for another thread) I am really excited for this. The ability to use my photography lenses and on the same device that I use to take stills with is going to open many doors. Not to mention hopefully lighten my load for traveling. Either way. I am excited to see what Nikon comes out with in a few days. Though, I am starting to think that I am amping myself up for disappointment. But we shall see.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-06-2009, 10:18 AM Reply   
I've never used a DSLR for video -- is it always that "jumpy"? Both of those sure are...
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-06-2009, 11:28 AM Reply   
It's not jumpy at all. That jumpy stuff is probably your computer/internet browser not being able to stream the video.
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-06-2009, 1:36 PM Reply   
Im still waiting for Scarlet, even though these new cameras are coming out, makes my decision a little harder haha...they look good for what they are, i want to see what it looks like blown up. Thats still my biggest issue on these..... its h.264 codec correct?