Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-29-2006, 9:07 PM Reply   
I just stored my boat for the Winter and I can not find my key to start it. Ive looked everywhere. My question is...is it easy for a lock smith to make another one? Ive never had to replace a boat key before.
Old    walt            10-29-2006, 9:13 PM Reply   
Just buy a new lock and install it yourself.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-29-2006, 9:22 PM Reply   
You dont know me very well do ya Walt....I am the farthest thing from a do it yourself guy...how hard is that to do?
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-29-2006, 9:31 PM Reply   
Sell current boat, buy Nautique, problem solved.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-29-2006, 9:44 PM Reply   
I love Naughtiues I just think they are ugly. No offence Tackleberry great boats I could have bought one..would have been less expenisve then what I bought just was not pleasing to my eye man. And whats up with those Gawd awful towers lol....Don't be haten just my preference
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-29-2006, 9:45 PM Reply   
Most dealerships have spares in stock. A lot of boat manufacturers only have 3-4 keys for all their boats. Except for Nautique of course
Old    walt            10-30-2006, 5:33 AM Reply   
Daniel,

It's so easy even you can do it.
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-30-2006, 6:42 AM Reply   
So you are saying that you like a tower that sways back and forth? And those "blades" on that tower are so easy to deal with, just take them down and store them somewhere... They say the tower on the Nautique is hard to put down...

Don't be haten just my preference
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-30-2006, 7:10 AM Reply   
Didn't mean to start anything here, just was thinking about the question, What key? (keyless ignition)
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       10-30-2006, 7:11 AM Reply   
Take off the wires, unbolt the ignition from the dash and take it to a locksmith. Cost me about $6.00 and they had the key made in about 1 minute.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-30-2006, 7:46 AM Reply   
Thanks Walt and Kirk
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-30-2006, 7:57 AM Reply   
I never take my keys out of the ignition. Ive never had a need to.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-30-2006, 8:01 AM Reply   
"I never take my keys out of the ignition."

Same here. My boat s sitting in front of my house right now with the keys in it. I don't see a point in taking them out.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-30-2006, 8:02 AM Reply   
My boat came with a spare. The real one stays in my truck. The spare, is in a filing cabinet, with all the paperwork (Owners Manual, warrenty info... etc). The spare has a number on it, to order a new one from the manufacturer.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-30-2006, 1:25 PM Reply   
nope, i had 5 spares made. keep one in the truck, one in the boat, another in the ignition, and the rest at the house.

the 6 bucks or whatever it costs is totally worth knowing you will never get to the lake and be like "oh crap"
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-30-2006, 1:41 PM Reply   
Mine stay in the boat too. worst comes to worse, my ignition can be easily hot wired. The ignition systems on boats I've seen are laughable.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-30-2006, 1:48 PM Reply   
More importantly ever show up at the lake without a drain plug? Thats disheartening! I've done that once, but it was a dealership boat so I didn't feel too bad!
Old     (milehighrider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-30-2006, 2:38 PM Reply   
i'm with jarrod keys never come out whats the point. also the plug never comes out, i try to make it as simple as possible.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-30-2006, 3:47 PM Reply   
I never take them out either, but since I was storing it I just figured I would pull the keys out of the ignition. Im so pissed at myself for being so laxidaisical
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-31-2006, 4:38 PM Reply   
Cleanning my bed room today found my boat keys under the bed,,,,,thank God!!!!!!!!!
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-01-2006, 9:01 PM Reply   
just put a new ignition key start in its really easy. you unplug 3 wires(battery,ignition,starter) out of the ignition switch and pull the key switch out. put your new igntion switch in and connect plug the wires in just like you un pluged them. the wire terminals will be labled so make sure you connect the right wires to the new switch.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-04-2006, 8:24 AM Reply   
Mine crapped out on a trip. Hot wiring took me about 5 minutes. I always carry a small tester and a little wire with an alligator clip. Have used it more than once to solve problems.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-04-2006, 9:09 AM Reply   
I never take mine out either but I did once and the dealer had to service it.I forgot to put them back in and when I got my boat back,I had an extra pair.The dealer has spares and they match it up from the vin #.

Last few CC I've been in did't have the keyless ignition and when I asked the dealer at the boat show,they said no more keyless for CC or just an expensive option now,can't remember.
Old     (aidan)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-05-2006, 8:43 PM Reply   
03 Malibu........eyeglass screw driver works just like a key.........
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-05-2006, 9:15 PM Reply   
Red, how can you even defend that tower.lol I saw an early musta been 70's boat in town that looked to have some type of steel bar with barb wire holding it up that looked better than nautie towers. sorry man, nautie needs to fire whoever is doing up their towers.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-06-2006, 6:53 AM Reply   
The ignition key in every boat I've seen is pretty much worthless as far as security. It might add a minute of delay to someone wanting to steal your boat, maybe it helps a little if you're docked at a restaurant or something.

I've thought that if I lost the keys to mine, I'd hook it up to an accy toggle switch & put a big pushbutton starter where the key is now - it would probably work a lot better than the key because the potential thief wouldn't know how to use it, or what to hotwire.