Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old    bsandersortho            05-05-2006, 8:22 AM Reply   
Any recommendations on which system to choose. I have two diffrent installers that swear by each set up:

Option 1:
4 tower speakers MB quart dkf116
6 interior speakers dkf116
1 jl 10w6v2 sub in ported box
precision power amp dcx 800x5
alpine headunit cd/mp3/wma/sirirus/ipod ready, 4v preouts

Option 2
4 tower speakers polk 650mmc
6 interior speakers polk 650mmc
1 boston acoustic G2 12 inch sub in ported box
1 boston acoustic GT-50 amp 510x5
1 kenwood 4820 headunit cd/mp3/wma/sirius/ipod (does not have 4v prepouts)

Which system is preferred? Are these amps really big enough to run these systems? Will the 4v preouts on the alpine headunit be preferred?

Thanks
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-05-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
Preouts: Not necessarily. It make installation of multiple amps much easier.

Amps: I am thinking you will need another one. I just don't see how they are going to wire it up. I'm assuming bridging the sub to two channels. That leaves three channels for 10 speakers. ????? Not bridging the amp. That leaves 4 channels for 10 speakers, which still doesn't work. One of the channels will have a higher load.
Old    bsandersortho            05-05-2006, 9:09 AM Reply   
Plan is to run woofer off of the sub channel at 2 ohms. Then wire tower speakers in parallel. That would be take up two channels at 2 ohms. Remaining 6 inside speakers would be wired to the other two channels. The system seems underpowered to me as well. The sub should be getting enough power from its dedicated channel, but I worry about the other speakers. Perhaps they plan on adjusting the crossovers to maximize power to the tweeters and compromising on the mids??
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-05-2006, 9:25 AM Reply   
polk and MB are both good choices IMO. What is your goal out of this system? I woudl go with the JL sub, I have the same one and luv it. I dont; knwo much about BA subs....but if you ever want to sell apart your system the JL will be easier to sell. They are also good to deal with on warranty issues.

You'll want/need 500 watts RMS alone to the sub. Call JL they'll tell you the same thing...make sure and tell them it's going in a boat.

Bottom line that is not enough power....it's in a boat, not a car. I'm guessing this is a shop that deals primarily in car stereo?

Tryign to get more volume out of a system by tweaking the corssover will result in poor sound quality.

IMO, for a solid boat sytem you need a min of two amps, ideal is three.

Old    bsandersortho            05-05-2006, 10:18 AM Reply   
The option 1 installer does most of the work for all of the malibus in our area. The option 2 installer does most of the work for supra/nautique. I am a little concerned that the MB are not specifically marine speakers, but the installer says they have had no problems. If I go to two amps, I will certainly have to go with a higher output alternator and option 1 installer wants to add a high capacitor battery in addition to 2 capacitors.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-05-2006, 10:56 AM Reply   
I wouldn't worry about the MB's not being marine , they'll be fine. You should be fine using the stock alternator using two amps. I would add a second battery regardless. The system yrou installing is not that large.....I would not get the caps. I'm curious to hear your installer's response when asked why you need a capacitor, let alone two. (how big of caps?)

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-05-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
Is Option 1 Auto Sound in Lewisville...Tim White? They suggested a similar system in our WSLSV although with a Kenwood deck and Alpine interiors. I do have that same sub under the dash and it bumps! We did not opt for the tower speakers right now so we are probably wasting some of our PPI 800.5's potential.
Old    bsandersortho            05-05-2006, 11:30 AM Reply   
Option one installer is the one recommending caps etc if you go to two amps. The set up would be two precision power amps at 1000x4, 2 caps (unknown size). Using this set up there has been a problem with a couple of new malibu boats. In certain circumstances, the voltage has dropped down to 11 causing the electrical system in the boat to screw up. It is unclear what all was running on these boats (ie: stereo at full power, ballasts, power wedge). To remedy the problem the installer has suggested the addition of a high output alternator and that the second battery be a high capacitance battery.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       05-05-2006, 11:35 AM Reply   
Caps and an alternator definitely not neccessary.

I have 3 amps. One 1500 W bass amp pushing 2 12's, a little guy for 4 interior speakers, and a big guy for 6 tower speakers. It's loud as hell and never had a problem with charging/starting in my malibu. Just put in two optimas and run fatty wiring and you're golden.
Old     (texasbear08)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-05-2006, 7:49 PM Reply   
Blake,

I live in Keller not far from grapevine lake. I just finished installing a new stereo and i know how many questions I had... so if i can help... you are welcome to come listen to my system and then decide what you need or don't need.

I have the 6 Polks in the cabin, a Kicker L7 12, and NVS Addictions on the tower.

Here is a link to my system...
http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/index.php?page=out&id=1469

Email me if you have any questions jonathan_bassham@baylor.edu
Old     (texasbear08)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-05-2006, 8:04 PM Reply   
Also... What kind & year of boat?

Here is my opinion:

-Go with the alpine or get a line driver to boost the pre-amp voltage, think about an EQ, being able to adjust the volume and souind seperately for each componant is great!

-JL subs for sure... i have them in my tahoe and they rock!

-You definitly need 2 amps probably 3... the best method is a separate amp each - the cabin, the sub and the tower speakers

-Definitly need 2 batteries... a cap is a "bandaid" an Optima blue top is a cure

-Depending on your alternator size... if you go with 2 or 3 amps you probably need about a 100 amp alt. +/- 25

-If you are looking for loud music you can feel... you need 3 amps... if you are looking for a stereo that sounds good when sitting in the boat and thats it... one amp might do.

- As for the tower speakers... i just upgraded from 4 polk's to addictions and it is night and day

Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-05-2006, 8:14 PM Reply   
I have those polk 650s in my boat and on my tower. They are crisp and load, boston makes some great equipment aswell, so definatly think that option 2 is better although mb and jl have some killer stuff as well, i dont really think you can go wrong, you probably will need to pick up another boston amp though, i have 2 tower speakers, L7 and 4 boat speakers and i run 1200 watts to everything so i would def look into atleast another amp