Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old    bad2bohn            06-15-2004, 12:11 AM Reply   
Curious to hear from 2004 X-10 and Wakesetter VLX owners. Buying either one of the above within the next week and I would like to know how the boats have performed and how any servicing of the boat has been.

Looking for a spacious, skiable wake, that will mostly be used for wakeboarding.

New to the area from Chicago, will be looking for anyone who will want to board on the Delta.

Thanks for the help!
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-15-2004, 10:23 AM Reply   
I think anyone you pick you'll like alot. I have a 03 VLX and love it. I also have a few friends with Master crafts as well, and they love their boat. I made my decision on the price difference because I liked both boats. Not trying to start a fight or anything, but I felt personally I got everything I needed and wanted from a wakeboarding boat, good quality, good power, perfect pass, ballast, and comfort,in a VLX for cheaper than a master craft. Although I really do like mastercrafts, and air nautiques as well. You should see if you could drive both boats and go and check both out to make your decision. You'll love either one
Old    sonicr1            06-15-2004, 12:19 PM Reply   
Overall I love the fit and finish of my X10. I'm not real crazy about my wake, or the the way it rides--pourposes too much and it gets "bouncy". I wish I would have looked into the Malibu.
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-15-2004, 1:24 PM Reply   
William thats an awesome looking X-10. Is that black on the lower hull? If so how hard is it to keep looking clean. I used to have a dark blue vlx but the hull was white and that was hard enough. I got all white this time and its soooo much easier to keep clean
Old    chavezychavez            06-15-2004, 1:31 PM Reply   
Of the two choices, the VLX.
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       06-15-2004, 2:59 PM Reply   
I just bought a VLX, And I am happy with the wake. I compared the X10, and found that with less added weight, the wake on the VLX is cleaner and bigger. Malibu was also the only manufacturer who offered th Wedge as an option (no inboard ballast needed). The hull on the VLX was also specifically designed for wakeboarding, so the option to water ski behind one is better with the X10. Overall, the choice we made was the right one for us.
Old    sage1            06-15-2004, 4:54 PM Reply   
Go Vlx, the Malibu planes at a lower speed and when towing a rider the hull design of the Mastercraft seems to keep the bow way too high for good visibility. Also the VLX wake is more of a ramp and the MC wake is more steep and abrupt.
Old    bad2bohn            06-15-2004, 5:41 PM Reply   
Thanks for your input guys! I am demo-ing them both on Thursday, that should speak for itself. The VLX looks sharp as hell, hard to get my eye off of it, especially with green deck, white hull, green bottom hull with greeen speaker box on black tower. If it drives nice, it may have the advantage. See you on the water.
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-15-2004, 7:39 PM Reply   
Andrew in my opinion I dont' think you're comparing apples to apples. If you're looking at a VLX I would also try an X2. The VLX is a very popular boat where I ride (I ride on at least 3) and I think it's a very well put together boat. The wake seems to be easily adjustable depending on how you weight it and whether you use the wedge.

I personally have an X2 (2002) and like the boat a little bit better. The wake on my boat is more peaky with a little harder lip which fits my riding style better. There are also a few minor things on the interior that I like on the MC better then the 'Bu (i.e. stereo head unit placement) that made me go with the X2. I have also never had a complaint about the wake and actually the guys with VLXs rave about how good my wake is.

The price difference argument does not hold weight with me. I got my X2 for less than a VLX...you just have to negotiate a little more and do more research to get the right deal.

Ultimately though demo both boats and see which fits your riding style better. Go with that one - you won't be disappointed with either boat.
Old    leftcoastpunk            06-15-2004, 8:01 PM Reply   
Wait a month or two and order an '05 VLX, its going to be a sick boat. Or if you like the current VLX, it will be available at a cheaper price as the V-Ride. Also if youre set on MC check out the X2.
Old    sonicr1            06-16-2004, 4:13 AM Reply   
The black on the bottom (reverse black) is easy to keep clean... so far no water spots, and it hides the dirt well.

As for the X-10 having a steep and abrupt wake, I would have to disagree. My wake is rampy, well at least compared to the X2. The closest I have ever had it to the X2 is when I had full ballast and 8 buddies with me.
Old    00prostar205v            06-16-2004, 6:51 AM Reply   
If you are looking for a skiable wake look at the X2 not the X10. It is a prostar 205 hull with in a v drive config w/all the wakeboarding options.
Old    bambamski            06-16-2004, 7:59 AM Reply   
X2 great ski wake vs X10? YOu must be talking about the late 90's mid engine 205. cause skiing behind a v-drive 205 (X2) is brutal. Great boarding wake though.
Old    00prostar205v            06-16-2004, 8:30 AM Reply   
Perhaps but is skiing behing an x10 less brutal? Andrew mentioned skiable wake and used mostly for boarding.
Old    hyp3rl1t3            06-16-2004, 9:15 AM Reply   
Just got a vlx about 5 weeks ago and love it. The interior is nice and the wake is perfect. Go with the Illusion tower. I didnt like it at first but now i love it, its amazing. Try em both and tell us
Old    sonicr1            06-16-2004, 6:59 PM Reply   
and I agree about the X2 wake being better for skiing than the X10, too. The X2 has a flat hull, and produces a nice clean wake at tow speeds (34 mph, even with the V-drive configuration), where the X10 has a deeper rounded hull, although close to flat at the rear, it produces a bit more of a speed bump. Not that it is a bad ski wake, just not super competative.
Old     (bigasswake)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-17-2004, 12:08 AM Reply   
I agree with zack. Both the VLX and the X-2 are very similar in wake size and shape, but then again me and zack both put over 3,000 lbs in our boats. Both very kickass boats so my opinion to you is find the boat and the DEALER you like the best and test drive/ride them both

Here is a pic of my VLX and Zacks X-star throwing a spine. You can tell by these pictures that neither one of us is lacking in wake size

Old    bambamski            06-17-2004, 7:56 AM Reply   
OMG that X-star looks like it's going to sink!

Bottom line is that any one of these boats will give you a better wake than you'll probably ever be able to use.

Your cut and techinque are twice as important as the size of your wake. I've seen boarders get way more air with an outboard Bayliner than guys with a sacked out SAN. Granted put the riders from the Bayliner in the SAN and they'd really fly but I think too many riders rely on the size of their wake and don't concerntrate on their fundamentals.

my 2 cents
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-17-2004, 8:58 AM Reply   
The wake on the x-2 is not bad for skiing as long as you increase your speed (above 34mph) and shorten your line. Make sure you only have one to two people in the boat though.
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-17-2004, 11:06 AM Reply   
OK to clarify a bit on Neil's post. I do not put 3000# of water in my boat - that hull does not take that much weight to make a world-class wake.

I put 1000# in the rear & 1050# in the front. Normally with that many people in the boat I'll drain the back sacks about 1/2 or else the boat won't plane as well and burns a ton more gas. If I recall that pic was taken before I dumped the extra weight out of the boat.
Old     (bigasswake)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-17-2004, 10:34 PM Reply   
Zack with the people(5 guys + Tammi + front and rear ballest of 2050 + alot of beer= Close to if not over 3g's

And I bet you had a good amount of beer that day