Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-10-2009, 3:02 PM Reply   
Why couldn't they use the Sesitec 2.0 for the X-games? All they would need is a small pond/lake and set up some rails, etc. Imagine some stands/bleachers all around the place so everyone has a good view of the action.
C'mon ESPN, bring wakeboarding back the the X-GAMES!
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-10-2009, 3:28 PM Reply   
I personally think a sesitec in a large pool with a kicker the size of the mega ramp would be sick
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-10-2009, 3:29 PM Reply   
goodbye knees.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       12-10-2009, 5:16 PM Reply   
I also agree, cmon look at wakelab that thing is PERFECT for X-Games!

Maybe we could start a petition? If we dont speak up nothing will ever happen.

I honestly believe with the rise of cable and 2.0 wakeboarding is viable again for X-Games, and would do so much for the sport.
Old    murrayair            12-10-2009, 6:41 PM Reply   
It's a good idea, but I still prefer to watch wake riding to cable, and I think that is true of most people, especially those not familiar with the sport. You'd still have to fit in something that took place behind the boat.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-10-2009, 7:57 PM Reply   
More specifically, inverts. They sell.
Old     (jrich)      Join Date: Oct 2009       12-10-2009, 8:26 PM Reply   
why did they do away with it in the first place?
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-10-2009, 8:38 PM Reply   
Too much cost and not enough intrest.

The lake, the boat, the employee's, and everything else that went into it was just to much.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-10-2009, 11:13 PM Reply   
I think wake riding is just as sick as cable... I think with wake you would have to do a doubleup contest to really get the audiences attention. The only problem with wake is that its not going to be as up close and personal for the audience.

Look at surfing, as big of a sport it is in popularity its been getting increasingly less if not out of the X Games due to the fact that people have to watch from a far off distance
Old     (wake2ekaw)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-11-2009, 4:36 AM Reply   
Why not just have it as an additional WakeLab stop? They did a bunch of qualifiers for additional riders to go to Arizona. Why not have a few more qualifiers at boat shows and expos and just have WakeLab at the Xgames.
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-11-2009, 6:12 AM Reply   
I think that the X-Games have traditionally had a big deal with Pepsi, so I doubt that unless things changed drastically, you probably won't see any Red Bull branded events there. Pepsi seems to always use the X-Games to push Mountain Dew (and Taco Bell) really hard, and they would probably want to protect their Monster Energy brand as well.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-11-2009, 6:35 AM Reply   
Summer X Games is worthless nowadays. It doesn't deserve wakeboarding
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-11-2009, 7:16 AM Reply   
nick, you could have a downramp too so it might not be that bad on the knees.

slyparkmark, i don't think that's true of most people. especially for the viewers of xgames who can relate to hitting a rail a lot easier than jumping from one wave to another holding a rope.

why not just have 2 seperate wake events- a double up contest and a contest on the 2.0 (like wakelab). both of those are viewer friendly. and the 2.0/street contest could have a double sided kicker almost by itself at the end (so they have to hit it or go around it) this time so maybe somebody will do a back flip!
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-11-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
"Summer X Games is worthless nowadays. It doesn't deserve wakeboarding"

I love how much attention they give to vert and mega ramp, which in reality, are the two smallest markets in Skateboarding outside the X-games. They really have become a joke though. Sal is a moron. You'd think with his one job being to announce the X-games, he could get a little better at calling the tricks.

And Rally Racing? WTF? I know it's Travis Pastrana's new hobby, but really?
Old     (hypoxic_films)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-11-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
Maybe they arent listening. Maybe someone should tell them.

When did wakeboarding ever promote itself?
Old     (johnm_ttu)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-11-2009, 12:43 PM Reply   
Here is a good cultural index question:

Which has received more press, Jake Brown's super ramp bail or Travis Pastrana's first double back?

Wakeboarding in general doesn't have has many of these life and death edge of your seat moments that the casual fan enjoys.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-11-2009, 1:37 PM Reply   
They did away with it because it took up so much space and it was difficult to get spectators nearby and also to get good closeupd for TV.

Sisetec with the wakelab setup would be really neat and would keep interest for at least a few years I would think. We'll see....
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-11-2009, 1:40 PM Reply   
So, you think the average Joe is gonna get his kicks watching someone strapped into a board, sliding over a foot wide rail and spinning around in circles? Boring....

Don't get me wrong, it's fun. But it's not technical enough or dangerous enough (as stated by John) to attract the interest of the 95% of the population that doesn't wakeboard.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-11-2009, 1:47 PM Reply   
^^agree. The fact that I (normally into most adventure sports) don't care about Summer X games anymore, I don't know who really watches it.

Winter X games are a different story, I'm trying to get TO them
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-11-2009, 1:48 PM Reply   
JD Webb comments and prob thinks otherwise:

http://www.alliancewake.com/wake/sundays-on-the-system/
Old    Slingshot            12-11-2009, 2:14 PM Reply   
I bet it Travis Pastrana started wakeboarding they would bring it back... Really they need to bring back the street luge, and bare footing!!! Haha! Man the first X-games was so awesome... Tony Hawk jumping his skateboard into the San Francisco bay. The crowd went nuts!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-12-2009, 12:48 AM Reply   
^ i was at that one.... and yes people went crazy!

wakeboarding off angle island was also just an awesome location for the comp too.
Old    shooter_08            12-12-2009, 10:01 AM Reply   
As long as the X-games are in Los Angeles, Long Beach Marine Stadium is really the only spot. I have heard the pick up time with boats was too slow to maintain a "live" event and keep the crowd interested.

Sesitec 2.0 would work, its just a question if non-wakeboarders are really interested in wake sliders.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-12-2009, 10:45 AM Reply   
If sliders alone don't provide enough excitement, I'm sure some other features could.
(Wall rides, horseshoe-shaped sliders on the ends, big kickers, maybe even anchor a wake boat after a kicker for something to jump over!
Old     (mexicoblue)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-13-2009, 5:40 PM Reply   
I bet a good petition would get 'er done! Let's knock that sucker out . . .
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       12-13-2009, 7:58 PM Reply   
you know i was thinking while watching that alliance vid that would be the way to present this.

Get all the pros together to say a few words like JD on how Sys 2.0 could be incorporated into X-Games. Then get some amazing footage hitting sliders, big kickers, tech air tricks.

I think it has to be in a package where ESPN can look at it really see the potential, how exactly it could fit into what they are already doing.

Top that off by getting a massive petition to go with the video. Getting every member of wakeworld to sign it would be a good start