Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-03-2010, 12:04 PM Reply   
I just got a box of the new issue of alliance at the shop today and i flipped through it and on pg 25 the Tigé ad caught my eye. They used two of Dave Wilsey's photos from the Tigé/Wake9.com Wakesurf Festival of James and Chase. Its pretty awesome to see some legit wakesurfing in Alliance.

But what bummed me out was looking in the gear section in the back had a few new wakesurf boards but they were only wakeboard brand boards. The wakesurf only companies need to get in these mags so first timers are aware of them versus just slingshot and grindwater which i have heard dont even ride well.
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            06-03-2010, 12:15 PM Reply   
Sweet! Two of the best riders in the sport today. Mitch can you save me a copy, please?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-03-2010, 12:16 PM Reply   
Yes sir!
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-03-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
Correction Jeff. THE two best riders in the sport today ! JMO.
Old    surfdad            06-03-2010, 12:48 PM Reply   
Who am I to argue! I was just reflecting on when the two were teenagers. They were so instrumental in developing the contests we see now. When we worked in conjunction with the NorCal INT League and then the AWSA, the two of them would drive the 3 hours up and then another 3 hours back to compete in Gerber. Folks would wait to see them ride. Those were the roots of what we see now in wakesurfing and the contest environments.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-03-2010, 2:52 PM Reply   
That pic of Chase is one of my favorites from the whole weekend. Reminds me of a jet airliner flying above the clouds....fly the friendly skies. Theres a couple of James similar to that too that are amazing (If I must say so myself LOL)
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-03-2010, 2:57 PM Reply   
I think the real "Roots" are those guys that are over 50 now. We....ummmm, they, were just never able to bend like the young groms. Sure Chase, James, Dominic, Bri, and a handfull of others may have made the sport what it is today, but folks like Jerry, Dennis, Jeff, and Robert, were the original orchestrators that brought it all together.
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-03-2010, 3:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemitch View Post
The wakesurf only companies need to get in these mags so first timers are aware of them versus just slingshot and grindwater which i have heard dont even ride well.
Totally agree with this thought... Except for the fact that I was SUPER impressed with the Grindwater Ginsu board. Super fast and drove like a sports car.... even for the 250+ crowd. We bought one after riding a demo. You should ride one and form your own opinion before doggin it just on what you "have heard".
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-03-2010, 7:39 PM Reply   
Y, how cool is that. I had whitney go find some of the magazines, haven't hit my local board shop yet. I am very proud of that pic, and there are more coming. We worked real hard with Tige to get them to realize they are sitting on a great wakesurf boat, and people want good wakesurf boats, it should be marketed. It sure is cool to see Tige see the potential of wakesurfing. It sure was fun to be a part of that. Charlie Pigeon called me one week before the event, and asked me to put together a first class photo shoot for Tige, that they really wanted to market wakesurfing, and feature it in there ads and brochures and stuff. I had to get together riders, photographers, and models in a few days. It all came together, but I had nothing to do with the weather and the conditions. It was amazing conditions, preparation and opportunity, I guess.

Another great thing to notice, there are no tricks in those pictures. All hidden away weight, Dennis did the Master's job of weighting those boats perfectly for the conditions. Not one sac on the seats, and just a few light weight riders in the boat. And everytime the conditions changed, Dennis made the adjustments and kept the wake great. I don't think we ever had a sac exposed, but Dennis may need to confirm.

Dennis was promoted after the festival in my mind. He went from "Master Weighter" to "Wakeologist". I think I have to have some cards made up. ;-)

Cool, a wakeboard mag, 2 shots of wakesurfers, and only one wakeboarder. Dude, I am stoked.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       06-04-2010, 5:47 AM Reply   
We never had any sacs exposed. In fact I decreased ballast as we added judges and photographers for the contest. The boat seemed to not like to be overweighted. We got the best wake by keeping the weight front to back at about 30% to 70% front to back ratio.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-04-2010, 9:44 AM Reply   
I am surprised none of you subscribe to Wakeboard magazines, such as Alliance. They do focus mostly on wakeboarding, and wakeskating, but there is occasionally wakesufing product and info in there. I agree they should have Surf specific companies boards in the gear guides. I think I have seen some of IS stuff in Wakeboarding Magazine along with IS advertisement.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-04-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
you know, I don't really subscribe to almost any magazines any more. It seems by the time I get the magazine, its old news. The web is so much quicker. And now with the ipad, who even needs a magazine in the throne room anymore? I just take my ipad with me. ;-)
Old     (desotodave)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-04-2010, 12:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaks View Post
Correction Jeff. THE two best riders in the sport today ! JMO.
Umm.... what about that one guy, you know the 5 time world Champion Drew Danielo?
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-04-2010, 1:45 PM Reply   
I NEED A I-PAD!! ragboy you got all the latest gadgets! How in the world do you talk your wife into letting you get all that stuff? I always get the response ( What do you need that for? ) LOL
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-04-2010, 1:47 PM Reply   
Ya David I agree, you can't leave Drew off that list.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-04-2010, 3:49 PM Reply   
Maybe he was referring only to surf style.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-04-2010, 5:01 PM Reply   
I stand corrected. Maybe I should have said "On the West coast" Drew is a fantastic rider as well as DJ James, Ryan, Alec, and many others, but as far as "Syrf Style" goes, Chase and James are KINGS!!
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-04-2010, 6:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
versus just slingshot and grindwater which i have heard dont even ride well.
Dont Trash it till ya ride it. I too very impressed with the Ginsu, I highly recommend you try it out.

Nice pics! Congrats to them.
Old     (desotodave)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-06-2010, 9:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaks View Post
I stand corrected. Maybe I should have said "On the West coast" Drew is a fantastic rider as well as DJ James, Ryan, Alec, and many others, but as far as "Syrf Style" goes, Chase and James are KINGS!!
I would love to see Drew ride surf style in a competition. We went to a clinic with him, and just for "fun" he got on my sons LANDLOCK. I mean this board is a PIG, and you could not believe the air, 360's, riding it backward, hanging 10, ollies on the flat etc that he did first time ever riding one of those boards. I even have a picture of him doing a head stand on the board. I believe he could give anyone a run for their money riding surf style. I know he talked about riding surf style for one pass and skim style for the return at the last wwsc, but apparently that was frowned upon.

All I know is that in comparison to these guys, in AM NOT WORTHY.
Old     (desotodave)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-06-2010, 9:19 AM Reply   
sorry tried to post the picture, but it will only let me post a link? Help?
Old     (desotodave)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-06-2010, 10:00 AM Reply   
okay I think I got the picture. This is on Utah Lake, water is VERY shallow only about 8 feet so the wake was small.
Attached Images

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-06-2010, 11:15 AM Reply   
Thats cool. I have only seen drew ride once, from the shore at the 2007 worlds, not a very good look. I would love to see him up close. One great thing about the mywake event, is there should be no reason that the best can all compete, and put up their best run. Even guys like Legace and other dudes from out yonder that we may not even know about yet. Would be great to see him throw an entry in Surf/Skim also.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-06-2010, 4:21 PM Reply   
Lets not forget that Drew does surf in the Ocean (I believe) and absolutely kills it on a wakeskate. Some people just have natural ability to get on any board and make it look easy. Drew is one of those guys for sure.
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-06-2010, 4:40 PM Reply   
what about guys like sleigh,that guy is nuts on any board ,do people foget about him,I think guys like him and other guys I know that just do it for the love of it and soul. Are on a whole diffirent level.thats one of the reason I dont go to contests .because I just love doing it .I hate when everyone says this guy is better then that guy. the worlds best wakesurfer to me is the guy having the most fun!!!
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-06-2010, 4:49 PM Reply   
some of the best surfers in the world dont even go to contests and just kill it, I think contest are good for sure to push the sport,and it is good that people like james walker and chase are pushing each other at the contests ,those guys kill it ,and its good for the future of wakesurfing.Those guys are getting the sport noticed and pushing each other hard. its good for all the kids to be seeing those guys and I mean all the people who compete and push it.,..
Old     (desotodave)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-06-2010, 7:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjjamesz View Post
what about guys like sleigh,that guy is nuts on any board ,do people foget about him,I think guys like him and other guys I know that just do it for the love of it and soul. Are on a whole diffirent level.thats one of the reason I dont go to contests .because I just love doing it .I hate when everyone says this guy is better then that guy. the worlds best wakesurfer to me is the guy having the most fun!!!
Yeah what he said!!! James, I have seen a bunch of pictures of you and I know you Kill it! I am sure there are a bunch of others as well out there who nobody has heard of as well. I mentioned Drew because he is a friend and I have seen do unreal things on a board. He only does the WWSC, and no other contests. He is just this nice down to earth guy who does absolutely NOTHING to promote himself. I've been out with Drew and his wife, my wife, bro in-law and 2 little kids and he will spend all day teaching beginners and be having the time of his life! It is the love of the sport, and teaching others to love it.
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-06-2010, 8:20 PM Reply   
thats what it is all about,Drew has won alot on world titles and I give that guy crazy props .What ive seen that guy do on a skim board and wake skate ,his nuts...super talent..
Old    surfdad            06-07-2010, 5:46 AM Reply   
I can't WAIT to hijack some threads this summer, too!
Attached Images

Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-07-2010, 8:56 AM Reply   
nice shot...
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-07-2010, 11:32 AM Reply   
I am still trying to get some of those magazines, I can't order single issues from site, no digital issue, at least I can't find them. And whitney has been calling our local board shop and they don't have them yet. I plan on getting several. Have you gotten any yet surfdad?
Old    surfdad            06-07-2010, 11:45 AM Reply   
I did! Mitch is holding one for me, (thanks btw) and I went by my local pro shop - Larson's Marine and grabbed a handful. It's nice to share with the family back east. Did you want one for the Festival connection?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-07-2010, 3:06 PM Reply   
I am actually hoping I get a few today, Whitney is looking for me. Frickin snail media. ;-)
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-08-2010, 8:32 AM Reply   
Was all the ballast in the Tige boats water? Or was lead used so it could be concealed?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-08-2010, 10:09 AM Reply   
It was lead and water, but it wasn't that much weight. The lead was used to quickly place the weight exactly where needed. Dennis and I have discussed that we felt if you got a custom large sac in there, you wouldn't need lead and the wake would be pretty much the same we got for the shoot. But it would take some R&D to get it just right. Also, the photo shoot took more lead because there were like 3 150 lb guys in the boat, nothing else, that boat also had no gear in it. During the contest, there was less lead, because of the bigger judges in the boat. Over the summer we plan on working on the custom sac issue to get the same wake, I think it is definitely doable.
Old     (slimjim44)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-08-2010, 10:11 AM Reply   
Haha, just posted something similar to ragboy. I think this is the exact weight they used per ragboy.

In the photoshoot, he set up the rear corner with 700 lbs of lead, 400 in the far back corner, and 300 lbs under the rear passenger, or "ballast boy" seat, since there was going to be just the 2 models in the boat, almost no people weight.

Last edited by slimjim44; 06-08-2010 at 10:14 AM. Reason: D
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-08-2010, 10:11 PM Reply   
new necessity for wakesurfing = digital scale to know how much your passengers weigh.
Old     (surfdoggy)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-09-2010, 9:50 AM Reply   
With the new digital scale, you can weigh your divorce lawyer and see if you gained or lost ballast by making your wife get on a scale before getting on the boat.
Old     (slimjim44)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-09-2010, 10:08 AM Reply   
Divorce lawyers are off topic again...back on to topic...has anyone seen the movie "The Lovely Bones"? That movie was weird and not in a good way.

How come the fake Tige family didn't make the alliance ad? I heard that Dad driving the boat was like the sexiest man alive and drove the boat so amazing that Tige decided to give him a 2010 RZ2.
Old     (scottymc261)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-17-2010, 5:51 AM Reply   
I saw this ad too. Thought i would scan it for those that cant get a hard copy.
It was actually a 2 page ad!
I was invited to take this boat out last week, but it has been too windy.
CANT WAIT! Great job Tige' Marketing!!!
Attached Images

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-17-2010, 7:19 AM Reply   
Great looking ad, still can't get the mag, my shop has 10.4.
Old     (scottymc261)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-17-2010, 5:53 PM Reply   
Gezz, cant post anything on this site, but i guess i get it!
It is just that all boat manufactures are hurting and Im just trying to help Tige' (thats my ride!!!! ;-)
sorry, guys probably my fault WakeWorld flushed the pix!

Ragboy! I had the same idea, just no time to do it!!!! Your "Mywake" idea is going to be HUGE!!!!!!!
You better get ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HUGE!!!
Old    surfdad            06-17-2010, 8:15 PM Reply   
Hey Scotty, I think all of the pictures in every thread in the forum are missing, not just yours. Maybe just a temporary glitch?