Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-16-2007, 12:42 PM Reply   
I am looking at a 2000 Sanger V210 with about 200 hours....original owner, well cared for, always garaged, not used much last 2 years...but there are a few issues.

A few years ago the owners clobbered a rock (towing in a lake they were unfamilar with...) just as they were pulling a rider out of the water. The rock hit the driveshaft just before the driveshaft bearing support arm and the drive shaft bearing support arm itself and then the prop. The driveshaft was bent, and the shock caused it to spin in the coupling to the V-drive (as it was supposed to). The bearing support arm was bent slightly....and the prop of course was toasted. The prop clipped the hull, and there is a small area of cosmetic damage to the gel coat...not even into the glass fibers. The rudder was not damaged, and it felt pretty solid to me.

The local dealer/service shop told them it was a good thing they were driving a Sanger...that hit might have punched a hole in the hull of many boats.

The dealer checked it all out, ended up replacing the drive shaft to V-drive coupling, the drive shaft, the bearing support strut and bearing, and the prop. The hull where the bearing support arm attaches is pretty beefy, and there was no evidence of structural damage in that area.

The original owner had the old damaged drive shaft, coupling, prop and bearing arm for inspection. He was very straight up about the whole thing. He said they had about 20 hours on the boat since the hit...and everything seemed no different than before. He also offered to take me out on the boat at a local lake prior to the sale.

How much should this issue be a concern? Now keep in mind that I have a full shop, good mechanical expertise, and extensive composite fab expertise (experimental aircraft, boats, even surfboards etc). I have engine hoists, and a full time professional mechanic (not a boat mechanic specifically) at my disposal. He recently did a lot of work on my dads 26' skipjack where they pulled the motor and outdrive and did a full rebuild... So if this were to be a problem, I could likely tear the boat apart, pull the motor, V-Drive, etc...and fix it on my own. I would not be out much money...but I would be out a ton of time and effort. Most people would be out at least $5K for an issue like this.....

Other than that...the boat is pretty clean. It does not have a lot of options....minimal stereo, etc. The motor is the Black Scorpion 330.

I brought my dad along, who is a very experienced mechanic with an excellent ear. We ran water to it and fired up the engine. It fired instantly with the block cold. Oil and fluids smelled good. After we left, he told me he would not have any worries about buying the boat based on what he saw, mechanically.

I did have one question about the motor. I thought the BS330 motor had a closed loop cooling system (ie closed loop coolant in the engine, and an outside water to coolant heat exchanger). The owner said his set up was a true open loop cooling system (outside water goes through the engine block). Is this normal for a V210 with the BS330? The Mercruiser website shows an option/kit for closed loop cooling. Does Sanger even offer this?

Given these issue, what would you think is a fair price. Like I said...it is plain jane...but I really like it...
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-16-2007, 1:44 PM Reply   
The sanger is a very solid boat. I personaly wouldent worry about the repairs if they were done correctly. I have seen prop shafts and struts torn out of boats and after repair you couldent even tell it ever happened.
As far as the closed loop cooling system unless you are riding in salt water its not a very usefull upgrade.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-16-2007, 1:57 PM Reply   
Sounds like the repairs have been made, and you should be ok.
I'm coming up on 600 hours on my '99 V-210, it's been trouble free so far. I have the Black Scorpion 330 and it does not have a closed cooling system. Unless you're using it in saltwater all the time, I wouldn't worry about it.
As for the price, with only 200 hours on it, I'd think in the neighborhood of 20k would be fair.
Good luck, they're solid boats.
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-16-2007, 3:22 PM Reply   
Thanks guys...
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-16-2007, 9:30 PM Reply   
Are you sure you can handle the beef?
Upload
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-17-2007, 9:49 AM Reply   
Jump on it if it's clean. I am on my third Sanger and my next will be a V230. You dont need a marine mechanic to do a shaft change. Deinitly water test it before you buy it to make sure shaft alignment is good and no vibration. Ask when impeller was shcnged. The open ater system is fine unles you're in salt water. Very well build boat with excellant ride in rough water.
Old     (styk33)      Join Date: Aug 2004 Location: NorCal       12-17-2007, 10:03 AM Reply   
Just like everyone else said, unless you are in salt water there is no need for closed loop cooling. I have an '00 V210 with the black scorpion motor and it runs great. I hit a lot with a rope attached a few year back and did damage the fiberglass on my boat. There is a fantastic place in Sacramento that does boat repair and they did the fiberglass works. The boat runs great and you could never tell anything major had happened ($9k damage). Well, you can tell now, because my buddy hit a stump with it a few months ago (14' of water too!).

Great boat, solid wake and $20k is a decent price.

If the fluids look good and you cannot feel any vibration, then the boat was fixed properly and will not be any different than if it had never happened.

Here is the damage from a few years ago:
[IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h84/Styk33/RiverAccident08-14-2005.jpg[/IMG]

Here is this years damage:
[IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h84/Styk33/200708-26BoatAccident-1.jpg[/IMG]