Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nashdurand)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-20-2010, 4:06 PM Reply   
Hi,
I am about to buy a wakeboarding boat and I have two options: A Nautique crossover 216V (2009, 0 hours, brand new) and a Mastercraft X1, also 2009 but with 10 hours.

I like them both but I don't know much about boats: can anyone please help me?
Some wakeboarding people have told me the Nautique crossover wake is not very good: is this true?

Thanks
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-20-2010, 4:08 PM Reply   
I had an 06 X-1 and loved it. pretty solid wake without a lot of work. I don't know anything about Nautique's.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-20-2010, 4:52 PM Reply   
I love Nautiques but i would stay away from the 216. In my opinion it drives and handles way better than the X1, but the wake is not as good as the X1. I still think the Nautique 216 is a better boat , but for the wake go with the X1.
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-20-2010, 7:49 PM Reply   
Are they about the same price? If yes, then the 216V will provide more room for the same money. Not sure on the wake of the 216V, but ask on Planetnautique.com, somebody there will have some wake experience with that boat.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-21-2010, 5:50 AM Reply   
The X1 is a great boat (we had an 06) and 10 hours just means you don't have to do the breaking in period. I have never in the 216 so I can't offer much of an opinion on that one.
Old     (ronskal)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-21-2010, 10:10 AM Reply   
I owned an 04 X2 (now X1) for 5 years and the wake is classic, good pop that boots you up. The 216V is not marketed as a wakeboard boat (they call it a crossover) but before I bought a new Nautique 210 I looked at the 216V and liked it. Do not know anything about the wake but expect it to be more rampy than the X1.

I would expect the 216V to be a lot more money than the X1. The X1 is not super blinged out like most MC's, Nautiques etc. and the price should reflect this. Get the X1 with the MCX if you can, that is the engine most people would want for resale. The base RTP-1 engine is no slouch, however.
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-21-2010, 10:15 AM Reply   
I had the RTP 310 in my X1 and it was totally fine. I have the MCX in my X2 now and to be honest not sure I can tell the difference. Maybe better resale though, who knows...
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-22-2010, 6:47 AM Reply   
I would go X1 get rid of the hard tanks and put at least 450s back there!!! Just did that my self. The thing I did not like about the 216 and CC in general and really my only grip is why are the seat benches so damn close to the floor. The drivers seat on the newer ones is scooped out so the floor is further from the seat base. I love my buddies 210 but that makes me crazy. I am 6ft2.
Old    mojo            09-22-2010, 4:47 PM Reply   
i had an 05 version of the x-1 which is the same thing. i cant say anything about the nautique wake, but it's laid out better for sure. rtp-1 is fine with the right prop.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-22-2010, 5:03 PM Reply   
have any pictures?

I cant give first hand, but just from my reading on the site, i would go with the X-1 over the crossover...if it wasnt a crossover i think it would be a tougher choice. but youll want the more aggressive hull.
Old    mojo            09-22-2010, 8:36 PM Reply   
216 will be alot more spacious as well.
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-24-2010, 11:33 PM Reply   
It depends on what's more important to you: the wake or how roomy the boat is. If wake is the priority go with the X-1. The X-1 produces one of the best wakes ever -- and doesn't require massive amounts of extra ballast like an X-Star does. But it's a rather small boat so doesn't have the room or some of the creature comforts of a more modern boat.

I have an 05 X-2 (same hull) and love it. We use it for wakeboarding primarily and for that, it's fantastic. We also use it for wakesurfing (it's ok, needs plenty of extra weight) and skiing occasionally. If I wanted more of a hang-out or cruise-around boat, I'd look for something else.

The X-1 is an excellent crossover boat too -- it is one of the better V-drives for skiing. The hull was originally designed as a ski hull, originally a direct drive (205) and then reconfigured into a V-drive (205V, which is what the hull is called).