Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-29-2010, 8:36 AM Reply   
Anyone have one?
are they as awesome as they sound?
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-29-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
I have the Slingbox HD. It's pretty cool. I was just in Mexico a few weeks ago for a friends wedding, and was missing the Olympics. It was nice to simply pull it up on my laptop and actually control my TV at home so that I could watch my local channels and DVR'd stuff. Now...if only the Olympic coverage hadn't sucked so bad....
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-29-2010, 10:55 AM Reply   
I know that if I have a cable box, what is on the box is on tv is on my computer, but can you split the cable... one to the box/tv, one to the slingbox?

then I could have different shows than someone maybe watching at my house?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-29-2010, 10:58 AM Reply   
Thanks BTW!
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-29-2010, 1:00 PM Reply   
My aunt and uncle have one that they use when they're in FL for the winter at their home in canada, so I got a little exeprience with it when I was down there.

They seem to love it. The picture quality obviously isn't incredible, but it was more than watchable and probably wouldn't look to bad shown on a TV or Monitor from the computer/laptop.

Nick, unless there is a separate box you can buy for that scenario, the slingbox has to be hooked up through your cable box, it does not decipher and change the channels itself, rather it just commands the cable box adn then converts the A/V signal it gets from your box to be sent over the internet.

You could split the signal and have the tv connected to the cable without a cable box and change the channels with the tv or get another cable box.
Old    deltahoosier            03-29-2010, 9:08 PM Reply   
We have the HD version and it works great. My wife can use it on here mini laptop. I may try and get the app for my I phone. You need a wifi though since AT&T will not allow the app over 3G. You obviously need a fast enough internet connection for upload.
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-04-2010, 1:36 AM Reply   
I have had one for years. Bought one when they first came out. It is great. The only limiter is that I can't get through my companies firewall anymore. You will need a box for just the slingbox if you want to let someone else watch at home. Otherwise you will change the channel while they are watching something.