Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (fernslinger)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-09-2008, 3:43 PM Reply   
Hey all, great message board here. I just got a new boat and we are learning how to wakesurf. It is a Centurion T5 Air Warrior with a single 400lb sac in the transom locker. I know this isnt the ideal boat for surfing, but it should do ok. We typically have 6-7 people on board while on the lake. Any tips on setting the boat up. Any tips on how to start riding without the rope? I cannot seem to get the wake to push me enough. We have been running about 9-10 MPH but I dont think the wake looks correct(what do I know though :P) I will try and get some pics up in a day or two. Thanks in advance!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-09-2008, 4:19 PM Reply   
Assuming your riding on port side, you need to put at least 600 lbs in the back port side corner, about 400 to 600 next to engine cover port side and 350 or so in the bow, port side. Then have everyone move accordingly to make the wake the tallest and longest. move them around and experiment. Go about 8.5 to 11 mph. The T-5 has a flatter hull then the V-Drive models so your gonna have to work at it a bit. Have fun you will be hooked as soon as you let go of the rope. Welcome to the world of inland surfing!
Old     (fernslinger)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-10-2008, 10:16 AM Reply   
Thanks for the reply! I will try shifting people around to get the correct weight bias. BTW, I ride goofy, so I am on the starboard side. Everyone else on the boat ride regular though. Here are some pics from this weekend. Comparing wakes to what I have seen, the shape doesnt look correct.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-11-2008, 2:32 PM Reply   
I also ride goofy, but on the port side, backside. My starboard side is a little washed out and not as clean as port. But it will work
Old     (cyclonesurfer)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-11-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
That is what I had a problem with when I first started with my 05 cyclone it seemed like it wouldnt push me very well. Add some more weight to the boat and when you start surfing go slow with the wake washy and slowly speed up until it cleans up and that will be a good point to give you some more push. I always went at the speed I though but it ended up being a little too fast until I bumped the throttle from washy very slow until it cleaned up. You definitely need more weight too.
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-11-2008, 7:23 PM Reply   
Hey what up I would go about 12 to 13 mph and make sure you have alot of weight on one side and on the back seat make sure the weight is on the side you surf on you should go to wakesurfingmag.com go on the dightal mag and check out the video on the ulitmate wave page it will tell you what to do jamesz
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-11-2008, 11:50 PM Reply   
Bryan, it is a total weight issue. With just my stock ballast and 4 people I couldn't get the proper push. I added 1500 pounds and all of a sudden, it is golden.
Old     (fernslinger)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-12-2008, 9:44 AM Reply   
Ok, I will let you guys know how it turns out when I go out on Tuesday.
Old     (fernslinger)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-18-2008, 1:04 PM Reply   
Well, we took a mental health day off of work yesterday and hit the lake. We had seven adults on the boat and the rear sac full. 3 people in the rear starboard corner, on sitting on the starboard rail next to the engine, and one in front on the Starboard side. The wave was much better than before nice shape, fairly high...but I cannot seem to get a decent push from it. Mind you, I have never surfed at all, so I have no clue what I am doing. I think most of my issues are technique rather than boat/wave related. I am gonna get a friend who does surf to come out and hopefully teach me what I am doing wrong.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-18-2008, 4:37 PM Reply   
What board is that? HL Broadcast? I have the smaller 4.9 broadcast and a huge wave and cannot freeride it. I've used several other boards and can easily ride them all and some of them on smaller waves.

I think its a combo of a small wave and a board that just isn't fast enough (IMO). On the cheaper end of a new board, CWB Ride was surprising very fast for me, so much that I learned quick how to slow down. I'm 150lbs and a 200lb guy rode it fine although big wave. There's a bunch of fast boards in the $500 range, it's harder to find ones for half that price, but also be on the lookout for used ones. Good luck
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-18-2008, 5:24 PM Reply   
Bryan, the broadcast should do fine. I think there are a few things you can do on your end. Your pictures look like you are trying to ride a wakeboard. You need to get more toe side pressure on the board. It also looks like you are trying to ride on top of the wake and you are too far back. You're not going to find the pocket in that location. Come closer to the boat and lower in the wake. Try positioning your body so that you are leaning slightly toward the port corner of the boat.
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-18-2008, 6:46 PM Reply   
when i first learned to get in the pocket, it seemed like i was WAY too close to the boat... i agree with R.G... move forward a little on the board, a little lower on the wave and closer to the boat...

after you get a good foot placement, put weight on your front foot for gas, and your rear foot for the brake.
Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-18-2008, 11:02 PM Reply   
I have that same board and found I needed my rear foot forward more. About 4 inches past the black part of the foam. Its a pretty slow board and with that adjustment you should do fine.
Old     (fernslinger)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-19-2008, 9:42 AM Reply   
I do ride with alot of my weight on my back foot. All those years of wakeboarding/snowboarding. Thanks for the flood of tips. Will try again this weekend :-)