Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (chrix)      Join Date: May 2008       05-05-2008, 4:35 PM Reply   
Hey,

Are there any wakesurfers out there? We ride on Tonka and Long Lake all summer. Give me a shout..

Chris
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-05-2008, 4:45 PM Reply   
Jason Miller
Old     (cyclonesurfer)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-06-2008, 1:44 PM Reply   
Tonka all summer also
Old     (akbaines)      Join Date: May 2008       05-07-2008, 6:07 AM Reply   
Beginner wakesurfer and wakeskater. Just picked up a 2003 centurion cyclone and am docking on minnetonka. Any suggestions for good equipment, I'm an experienced snowboarder just moved to mn and need to get a new kind of fix. I would wakeboard but I broke my leg and knee to bits about a year ago. Im hoping the surfing and skating will be a bit more forgiving. Any help in picking boards would be appreciated. I also have never owned a boat before! All is new here. THX
Old     (cyclonesurfer)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-07-2008, 6:29 AM Reply   
I have a Cyclone as well its a 2005. It throws a really nice surf wake, but you have to put a good amount of ballast in it. I ride the Inland Surfer Yellow Loogey and love it. Its my favorite board that I have ridden so far. I live in Eden Prairie and trailer to the grays bay landing. Where are you docking at?
Old     (akbaines)      Join Date: May 2008       05-08-2008, 6:41 AM Reply   
We live in chan and are docking in Tonka bay. Our boat has just the one ballast but Im thinking about adding some fat sacks, as needed. We have only driven the boat one day, so its a real learning curve.
Old     (chrix)      Join Date: May 2008       05-08-2008, 7:05 AM Reply   
Adrian,

I moved here from Colorado in 98. I just bought the Liquid Force Custom Thruster. I grew up surfing so it was appealing to me to have a foam board with similar feel to a regular surf board. If you haven't bought a board yet you can demo boards at Midwest Mastercraft or Minnesota Inboard.

The back corner of North Arm on Tonka is a nice spot for surfing...especially in in the late afternoon.

Chris
Old     (chrix)      Join Date: May 2008       05-08-2008, 7:10 AM Reply   
Brian,

Where do you typically ride on Tonka? I bought new centurion in January so I've been breaking the engine in on Long Lake. We'll be out all summer.

Chris
Old     (cyclonesurfer)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-08-2008, 10:04 AM Reply   
I mostly surf and board in Stubbs bay. Its pretty far north. Its not huge so sometimes it gets pretty choppy. There arent a lot of spots on Minnetonka anymore that can be ridden on the weekends without a ton of traffic.We also hang out at big island a good amount and have a few beers. Do you have a pic of your boat or a description and I will keep an eye out for you.
Old     (enzostyle)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-08-2008, 5:42 PM Reply   
I am holding down the So. Mn scene! Any further south and I would be in Iowa. And we all know how bad that would suck

The furthest north I get with the Enzo is Lake Washington or Francis.

(Message edited by enzostyle on May 08, 2008)
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-10-2008, 6:00 AM Reply   
Mississippi River at Champlain Bridge aka 169 down to Coon Rapids Dam is the '7 mile recreational pool.' Just got my first inboard, can't wait for summer!
Old     (chrix)      Join Date: May 2008       05-11-2008, 8:32 AM Reply   
Brian,

Blue and White Centurion Elite V. We ride Laong Lake during the week and hang on Tonka on the weekends. Ususally on the left side of the island by the first bouy lane. Keep your eyes out an let me know if your going out..I'm always up for beers!

Chris
Old     (cyclonesurfer)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-12-2008, 2:07 PM Reply   
Chris,

We are normally on the right side if you are looking towards the island. Closer to the waterway that goes through the island. I get sick of idiots about wrecking my boat with theirs driving around in the middle. 99% of the people at big island struggle with driving their boats.Definititely look for me as well ill be there memorial weekend for sure and hopefully just about every weekend all summer.
Old     (chrix)      Join Date: May 2008       05-12-2008, 5:08 PM Reply   
I agree with the stupidity out there which is why I like to be on the sand shallows by an exit lane on the left. We typically ride early then spend the day chillin out. I'll keep my eyes open on MD Weekend. FYI..the water temp on long lake is bareable with a full suit now. I'll probably be there Saturday.
Old     (cyclonesurfer)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-13-2008, 9:43 AM Reply   
Yeah I figured the water would be pretty cold for awhile. Im getting my boat out of storage in the next couple of days. It really needs to warm up and actually feel like May.
Old     (akbaines)      Join Date: May 2008       05-31-2008, 6:51 AM Reply   
We were out last weekend and it was pretty fun. Think Ill head out today.
Old     (tsoble)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-05-2008, 4:22 PM Reply   
Hey,

I am hoping someone out there can help me out, I am wondering what speed I should be running at when surfing. I am fine as long as the rope is there but once I let go I lose momentum quickly and feel like the boats not generating enough enertia in the wake. Thanks.

Tony
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-05-2008, 7:44 PM Reply   
10 is recommended I was at 14 last time. Lots of ballast isn't as important as making the boat really lean or list to the port side.
Old     (tsoble)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-05-2008, 7:55 PM Reply   
We have a center built in balast in the boat and are contemplating getting a fat sack to add to the side we ride. I grew up surfing so I thought it would be pretty easy to get momentum but that doesn't seem to be the case. When you say lean what do you mean by that?
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-06-2008, 10:16 AM Reply   
Center ballast is no good it has to be all to one side. You want enough on one side that the boat sits crooked in the water. Leaning or listing is the term.

If everyone goes to one side of the boat, that side sits lower. Have everyone sit on the port side. Rear of boat in port is the spot to weight down.

Once you get it leaning, the wave comes easily. That was my problem too. Depending on the boat you may not need more then one sac or a few people to make it lean enough to surf. What kind of boat? Rope should be somewhere 10-15'
Old     (tsoble)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-06-2008, 10:46 AM Reply   
Centurion Elite V. Should be plenty chunky if we get one side weighted up. We'll give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks!