Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-07-2007, 9:34 PM Reply   
I know this has been discussed but I could not find any of the old discussions when I searched for them. I know the x-star doesn't make a great surf wake but I know there are some people out there that have got a decent wake out of it so I want to here your setups for weight as well as speed and board you ride. Thanks in advance.
Old     (the_right_kind)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-08-2007, 7:30 AM Reply   
Which X-Star?
The new style pickle fork?
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-08-2007, 8:44 AM Reply   
2007 X-Star sorry.
Old     (foilboy)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-09-2007, 5:32 PM Reply   
Everybody knows no matter what weight you put in the newer Xstar you can't surf behind it.
It just can't be done.
Old     (the_right_kind)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-09-2007, 7:15 PM Reply   
Foilboy,
I guess I'm nobody because I didn't know that.
Tell us how you know, from experience?
Old     (foilboy)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-09-2007, 9:48 PM Reply   
No I have no experience with the X just repeating what I've read on this site. It must be tru, cause nobody has responded on how to weight it for surfing. Maybe its just a secret
and none of you X Star guys want to share your secrets.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-09-2007, 10:01 PM Reply   
You can surf behind it, takes some weight and hard to keep clean, but it can be done. I've seen it firsthand....
Old     (vfalco)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-10-2007, 6:36 AM Reply   
It can be done, but it's not great, and you can really only surf the port side.
I think it's that box thing that sticks out the back.
Old     (the_right_kind)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-12-2007, 9:32 AM Reply   
Mark,
I sent you an e-mail
Old     (jsxstar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-12-2007, 10:34 AM Reply   
leftside = I run stock ballast, sac in front left and sac on each side of the motor in back. Put people on back left corner.

Rightside = same setup but, swap front sac to right and move people to front right corner.

I can get clean waves on both sides.
Old     (tmills)      Join Date: May 2006       06-18-2007, 1:26 PM Reply   
I have an 05 x-star and we surf all the time. fill port and center ballast, then add 2 500lb bags on rear left compartment and a 600lb on left side seat. Right side is not very good due to the prop rotation, so we don't even bother.
Old     (the_right_kind)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-18-2007, 6:53 PM Reply   
Troy, do you have any pics of the wake you could share?
Old     (herringmcx2)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-19-2007, 12:28 AM Reply   
yo this guy has an 07 xstar and he says he can ride the swell all day long "dc (toooldtoboard)" (he posted hows my wake)
Old     (tmills)      Join Date: May 2006       06-19-2007, 5:10 AM Reply   
Here are some pics of the wake. You can probably throw more weight in , (in fact, would love to know how everyone else weights their boats.) I have never surfed another boat, so I don't know how this compares but it seems to work for us. Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (donnieb)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-19-2007, 8:58 AM Reply   
Hey Troy. Nice wake! Here's an off-topic question (sorry...I don't mean to hijack this thread). But...what are the steps to getting up with your child? I'd like to try that with my kids. How big is your board?

Thanks.
Don
Old     (tmills)      Join Date: May 2006       06-19-2007, 9:10 AM Reply   
Don,
My 5 year old loves surf.. I just winged it the first time, but it seemed to work. I had him in between my legs, with his feet up on the board and let him hold on to the handle with me. I just had a wider stance than normal and told him to hang on.. (He is basically sitting on top of you in the water, with his legs on the board, with bent knees) once we got up, he can wrap his arms around my legs. I have a phase 5 oogle ( I am 215 lbs he is 80..so we are too heavy for the board, but I can ride for about 5 min or so with the rope.. If I let go, we will pretty much sink back because he tends to lean back and throw off the balance. ) Hope this helps. Just be careful when you fall not to land on them, and watch the board.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-19-2007, 7:51 PM Reply   
i just got back form surfing, and i couldnt get it! im goofy so i was on starboard side with starboard ballast and 6 ppl on the starboard side with center ballast full, and it curled really early, i also couldnt find a good speed, and we tried turning but nothing really helped, any tips?