Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (copterjon)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-10-2008, 12:26 PM Reply   
Does anyone here have any advice on how to weight a Cyclone C4(Eclipse V Drive) For good goofy foot wake? I bought this boat brand new with the sole purpose of wake surfing and have been quite disappointed. I told my dealer what I wanted it for and was very specific about the fact that everyone I surf with is goofy foot. I was concerned about the prop rotation having a negative effect on the right side wake and brought that up as a deal killer. The dealer called Centurion and voiced my concerns. Centurion was quick to tell him there would be no problems generating a good surfable wave. I ordered the boat and have hated it since our first time out. Oddly enough Centurion came out with the opposite prop rotation option for goofy footers a short time later. I've been surfing and involved in board sports for most of my life so I'm not mew to this. It's kinda funny I used to surf behind a Ski Nautique with lots and I mean lots of weight and had a better wave, just no room in the boat for anything. Any help in this matter would be appreciated.
Old     (bltcollins)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-10-2008, 4:54 PM Reply   
Hey John, I see that you have a 2004 so I don't know how to compare that to mine, I have a 2002 Cyclone that has a different hull, but I've seen some newer ones, like yours, on here with nice waves so it's doable. From my experience you need a good amount of weight, I run around 1200lbs but probably need closer to 1450lbs, nothing compared to some of these guys but the boat is only 21 feet...on a good day, or so to get it where I want it and I'm not sure that's ever going to be close to some of the waves I've seen on here. I run around 300lbs in the bow and that made a big difference, also run around 10.5 mph. This is all on the goofy foot side, no idea how the regular side is but my brother has been pestering me so I'll find out soon. Anyway, I'm not claiming the wave is comparable to the enzo or anything but I can ride freely without the rope, etc...

Check out www.centurioncrew.com for people with you specific boat. There is also a guy on here djjamez or something like that who has a cyclone with a super nice wave and tears it up...so it's possible.
Old     (cyclonesurfer)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-10-2008, 6:47 PM Reply   
I second that you should find the posts by djjamez his wake is awesome. I have an 05 cyclone that throws a good goofy wake. Right now I only have a 540 sac in the locker, a 440 sac on the seat behind the driver, and a 440 sac in the bow. It throws a nice wake and I can surf all day on it. It is definitely doable and with some weight its easily done. I am going to experiment with some more weight and in different spots this summer but that is what I have so far. I would for sure get a sac for the locker and if I was going to do it again I would get a fly high 750 for the locker.
Old     (cyclonesurfer)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-10-2008, 6:49 PM Reply   
Oh and I have a stock center tank in it which is only about 250 I think. I sometimes just fill it half full to get the boat leaning more.
Old     (wmk)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-10-2008, 7:30 PM Reply   
I've got an '05 which is capable of throwing a good goofy wake with enough weight, but its a tremendous pain in the ***. To get a decent goofy wake i have 250 center, 500 rear, 750 sack behind driver, and some weight up front. Main problem is the driver has to stand up to see over the bow while driving a goofy biased wake.

I think the cyclone c4 throws a great surf wake with tons of weight on the regular side but almost seems somewhat dangerous riding goofy.
Old     (copterjon)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-10-2008, 8:07 PM Reply   
Guys, thanks for responding. We are able to build a rope free wake that is close to hip high but like wmk said it's a tremendous pain it the ***. I would like it to be longer and more consistent. It seems on my boat if you throw a potato chip to the other side of the boat the wave is ruined. The one thing that I'm not doing but will next time out is loading the bow. My current set up is like this: starboard tank full +2oolbs of lead on top. 450 sac on rear platform. 450 sac on back seat as far right as possible and another 100lbs of lead under the seat behind the driver as far back as possible. There is usually one adult sitting on the seat behind the driver and one in the observers seat next to the driver. Oh yeah, centre tank half full. I would love to be able to get rid of all the lead and go with all sacs since it wreaks havoc on the wakeboard wake. My wife is very content with the stock wake for wakeboarding. For me it's all about the surfin but I do want to stay married.
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-11-2008, 9:40 AM Reply   
Hey what up my name is dj jamesz and the cyclone will make areal good wave, if you go to wakesurfing magazine.com on the new dightal mag it will tell you how to set it up jamesz
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-11-2008, 2:29 PM Reply   
could also ride heelside on the port side (goofy)
Old     (copterjon)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-11-2008, 5:12 PM Reply   
Heel side is not a problem for me, I just don't like it as much as toe side. If I'm in the ocean and it breaks right, I go right. However, since I paid for my variable break so to speak, I'm making it a left...lol
Old     (copterjon)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-15-2008, 4:49 PM Reply   
I loaded this up to youtube today. Since I've been surfing since 13 and an now 42 the habit of paddling in is hard to break. Maybe it's because it makes me feel more like ocean surfing. I can do it wakeboard style but it feels weird to this old dog. Anyway here is our wave with the set up mentioned in an earlier post. Haven't got out to try it with some serious bow weight yet....been sick all weekend. Maybe I want too much but I think this should be a lot better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_wh3bzH_Co
Old    mobster            06-15-2008, 6:34 PM Reply   
Here are a few from DJ James Z boat it's got one of the best waves we have surfed he will post the weighting but I can say it's slammed Upload
Upload
UploadUploadUpload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (rhawn)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-15-2008, 8:52 PM Reply   
Gheeshh, its almost like the peak of the port side wave is in line with the other side (starboard) of the boat.
Old     (copterjon)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-15-2008, 9:13 PM Reply   
That's what I would like to have on the goofy side. He must have gotten rid of the stock side tanks and put in bags. I was going to get rid of mine but the side swipe is causing some space issues. I'd like to hear some loading ideas from the goofy footers out there. I can't be the only one having difficulties here. Maybe I'm expecting to much from a boat that has the wrong prop rotation for me and my crew. All I know is that Centurion said I should have a killer wave off the right and I don't. I feel I was lied to. They just told my dealer what they knew would move a unit. BTW when I talked to Centurion, Tim was the guys name, he told me I bought the wrong boat. He said I should have bought an Avalanche. This was the guy my dealer spoke with initially about my goofy foot concerns.
Old     (t_mann)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-25-2008, 6:14 PM Reply   
Hi John. I am a Centurion dealer. I have a used cyclone in stock right now. I will try to go out with it in the next few days and see if I can get some answers for you. I am goofy, but strange as it sounds I have never ridden behind a c4 cyclone. I will let you know what we find out.
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-29-2008, 1:09 PM Reply   
Cyclone is a decent goofy footed surf wake, just takes time to dial it in. We surfed one for three seasons. Have you posted on www.centurioncrew.com?