Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-20-2012, 10:53 AM Reply   
So... my board is getting pretty faded, and it's a few years old now. I was starting to think about buying a new board, but I still really like mine. Then the idea came to me about just taking the board somewhere and have them re-paint it and have a new design put on. It might be kinda cool to have a custom style of board anyways. I was wondering if anyone has tried this? I have no idea where I would get something like this done anyways or how much it would cost.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-20-2012, 11:03 AM Reply   
I've never restored a board simply for the fact that boards wear out. If you ride a lot and do any amount of jumping the cores break down and the board loses its pop. Its not something that you will notice as it happens slowly over time. But I promise if you hop on a new board you will see the difference. Plus why spend $ on making something look nice when you can spend it on something that is newer and possibly better.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       08-20-2012, 11:05 AM Reply   
If your board has chunks or chips taken out I don't know of anywhere that can fully fix it other than just patches. The boards are pressed in a machine so once it's pressed... it's pressed. The only thing you can do is just epoxy any chips or chunks taken out (like I said, as far as I know, I'm not positive). As far as graphics, I would imagine your possibilities are endless. I know a lot of riders that have made custom add ons to there boards. Whether it be stickers, stincils, spray paint, replace standard laces on boots for bright colors. You can do it all. I just don't think you can redo a whole top sheet of a wakebaord. Once it delaminates, it's done.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       08-20-2012, 11:06 AM Reply   
Another GREAT point by Stephan, after a lot of use, cores will go soft and loose significant pop.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-20-2012, 2:43 PM Reply   
Some guy plasti-dipped a Bill here a couple months ago. If you search for it you should find it
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-20-2012, 3:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakedaveup View Post
Another GREAT point by Stephan, after a lot of use, cores will go soft and loose significant pop.
if you can get a season out of a board say 180 rides without it looing its snap your lucky. I can tell the difference in a new board vs one I have been riding for only a month. I would take your old board and hang it on the wall, I would bet that you would be way better off spending the loot and buying a new deck.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-20-2012, 5:25 PM Reply   
What board is it you want to restore?? Boards have really changed in 4yrs.
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-20-2012, 8:48 PM Reply   
Wrap your board, it's cheap and will protect it from further sun exposure. I wrapped mine a while back and it worked out great.
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-21-2012, 4:48 AM Reply   
It's an older Parks board. It's a 3-Stage (2.6 Abrupt) Rocker. There aren't any issues with pop. I actually just took the new 2012 Parks ATR board for a demo a couple of weeks ago. And although I do like the new board, it's not as aggressive as my board. I'm not so sure I'm getting more pop with the new board. It's hard to tell. Anyways, I may end up getting a new board as well, but I'd like to keep my regardless and try to make it look nice again. It was a sweet lookin board back when I bought it. There's really not much point in selling these older boards anyways. People tend not to want to pay more than $100-$150 for these, so it's not really worth selling in my opinion. I strapped on a pair of new bindings to this board and I definitely dropped 2 or 3 pounds by doing that.

The board has no chips or dings.

Tommy, where do you get these wraps from?

Here's a link if you're interested in what board it is:

http://www.wakeworld.com/products/in...detail&p=55328
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-21-2012, 7:02 AM Reply   
Upgrade upgrade upgrade. Boards have come a long way since then. If its that beat up then upgrade... If you've been really shredding at all the core will degrade.

Although on another note, I wonder how slingshots all wood cores hold up over time? I would guess they just flex a little more?
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-21-2012, 2:18 PM Reply   
Try www.faceliftconcepts.com or just google wakeboard wrap. My buddy made mine for me when he worked at a print shop.

Last edited by Readyaimfire; 08-21-2012 at 2:20 PM. Reason: Wrong web link
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-22-2012, 3:47 AM Reply   
I actually found the post of the plasti-dipped Bill. So, that's one idea. I also checked out faceliftconcepts.com for board wraps. There are also other websites of companies that offer wraps. So that's another idea. I think what I will end up doing is painting the entire board one color, and then seeing if I can get some graphics, maybe some custom graphics to slap on there! I'm not really sure what kind of paint to use though. I'm guessing I would have to sand the board down first. Then, once I get a new board, I've got this one as a backup, or to use as a slider board.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-23-2012, 1:15 PM Reply   
greg ive got an older parks board id sell cheap. its near mint. a 04 138