Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-21-2007, 11:17 AM Reply   
I was recently given some video footage, to my dismay is in a mp4 format. I'm not an apple user and my editing program is Premiere Pro.

I tried using free download converters to convert the files but they only limit me to 5 minutes and one of these files is 10 minutes.

I don't want to pay the $30 for the program just to convert 1 file.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-22-2007, 10:22 AM Reply   
You can try the following solution I found on the PPRO wiki, but I think you'll need Quicktime (QT) PRO to do a "Save As". I have QT Pro installed, so this method works for me.

(http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Software#MPEG_4):

MPEG 4
Detailed information
Hages said:
If you try to import an MPEG-4 file into Premiere Pro 2.0 you’ll get a big fat dirty error message stating File Import Failure with a terse reason, “File format not supported”. Well, that’s not entirely true if you can play the file back through QuickTime 7. Simply open the file in QT 7 and go File -> Save As… -> Save as self-contained movie and it will now work!

Note that you cannot simply rename the .mp4 extension to .mov and expect it to work. What happens is the file’s header is rewritten to contain it within QuickTime’s API and allows Premiere Pro 2.0 to access the file without recompression. Hooray!

If turns out that you need QT Pro and decide to drop $30 then I would highly recommend getting the AVS converter instead: http://www.avsmedia.com/VideoTools/index.aspx

I picked this converter up earlier this year and have been very happy with it. It supports a ton of formats and it easy to use. It's great if you want to convert your DVDs for ipod, zune, etc.. Plus it's a great quick and easy converter for other formats too..

How big it the mp4 file? If it's under 100mb then you can ftp it over and I can convert it for you.

(Message edited by dcervenka on November 22, 2007)
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-23-2007, 8:10 PM Reply   
Well both aren't an option for me. Dont have quicktime pro and it's around 150 MB.

Thanks anyway
Old     (pimp131)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-30-2007, 10:03 PM Reply   
try SUPER

should be free, google SUPER video converter