Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-03-2009, 3:23 PM Reply   
Had a great time this last weekend with Dennis and Bre Horton. Dennis spent some great time coaching my kids, it was a lot of fun. We also took the opportunity to wrap up a new How To video we have been working on, about how to recover when falling back out of the wave. Will be posting some video of the Hortons later today or this weekend.

http://wake9.com/blogs/how-to-wakesurf-101/2009/07/03/falling-back-while-wakesurfing-how-to-recover/
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-03-2009, 3:41 PM Reply   
Really well done and I liked it a lot. Have to admit I didn't care for the renaming of decades old manuevers though. The Walker Boogie has been calling pumping since the 60's and the Bre Shuffle would be much better explained as simply "choking up" with the back leg.

Again don't get me wrong. The video was executed great and I look forward to many more. I'd just try and stay away from re-inventing the wheel.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-03-2009, 3:51 PM Reply   
I hear ya, especially on the pumping, I called it that all growing up surfing in So Cal. Its just a family thing, and we have fun. We didn't make those names up for the video, somewhere down the line, probably my daughter whitney started calling them that, and so we used it, and it stuck. If you come on our boat, we actually use those terms. The hortons were on our boat, and by the end of the day, were referring to the walker boogie and the bre shuffle.

Anyway, its also part of my thing not trying to pretend that wakesurfing is JUST LIKE surfing in the ocean. They are completely different and its my way of keeping it separate, which maybe doesn't need to happen, just comes naturally.

I love wakesurfing with my kids, but it still doesn't compare to dropping in on a wave and feeling that thunder behind you. I hope that makes sense, it is not due to me disrespecting wakesurfing, but showing respect to the sport of Ocean Surfing.

I have taken my older kids down to port hueneme once and surprised them and took them and gave them lessons on some long boards with an instructor for a few hours. After that, they all understood the difference, and realized that surfing behind a boat, doesn't translate to catching a wave. Hopefully we are going to get out to the bodega bay area this summer, and then my older kids can say they do both.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-03-2009, 4:11 PM Reply   
I'm just saying if it's called pumping in surfing, and it's called pumping in skimboarding, then the same exact motion should be called pumping in wakesurfing. (It's also called pumping in skateboarding and that's as different as you can get)It really is the same thing and it's much easier to yell to a new rider to "pump, pump" then coming up with new arbitrary names that don't mean anything to other people. The goal when teaching anything is to keep it as simple as possible
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-03-2009, 4:15 PM Reply   
I don't disagree, your point is well taken. I am sure my kids will still be making up names in the boat, though!
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-03-2009, 4:22 PM Reply   
I'm sure they will. I just think when providing a service (and I really do think it's great) like this one should take into consistency into consideration and use terms everyone is familiar with.

edit: I'm really not trying to bring you down. I can't wait for the next installment. An easily accessible *free* learning tool like this has been needed for some times. kudos

(Message edited by CAskimmer on July 03, 2009)
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-03-2009, 4:38 PM Reply   
I don't mind the debate at all. I am going to make a note in my blog, and in the next video, I will at least mention the proper terms, however, I am sure I won't be able to keep from giving the "wake9" terms also, if you know what I mean.

Your points are well taken, and I have no problem being clear on that in future videos.

An edit has been made.

http://wake9.com/blogs/how-to-wakesurf-101/2009/07/03/falling-back-while-wakesurfing-how-to-recover/
Old    surfdad            07-03-2009, 5:33 PM Reply   
How fun, great job ragboy and Dennis!

Walker Boogie! Walker Boogie! Walker Boogie! Walker Boogie! :-)
Old     (lakelife)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-06-2009, 12:00 PM Reply   
Hey Robert, what format is that video in? I'd like to check it out, but there's just a big white space where the video should be, just need to know which software to update so I can see it.

Thanks!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-06-2009, 12:06 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear that, its a youtube video, nothing more. Can you view videos on youtube?
Old     (lakelife)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-06-2009, 12:16 PM Reply   
Oh well that explains it then, youtube is blocked at my work!! Guess it'll have to wait...
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-06-2009, 12:18 PM Reply   
bummer, let me know what you think when you do watch, thanks.
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-06-2009, 2:51 PM Reply   
try Vimeo.com
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-06-2009, 3:48 PM Reply   
I have. I experimented with just about every one this winter. I was set on using vimeo, due to HD capabilities, then youtube finally upped their quality, and added HD. From there it is a no brainer, there are many thing youtube/google provide, or is available, over the others.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2009, 10:02 AM Reply   
Can I make a request for an episode on proper boat etiquette? Obviously the hated towards us is coming from somewhere and we need to be doing our part to get those that haven't been taught water etiquette the "rules of the road"
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-07-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
I was going to do one on Safety, which would include how to pick up a rider, no power turning, and watch out with your wake. You know, careful not to capsize fisher man and stuff. So I guess that would apply. Can definitely speak of etiquette in it.
Old    surfdad            07-07-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
I am so glad that you brought that up caskimmer. There is certainly an opportunity in here. I don't condone the elitist attitude exhibited by some folks, that would relegate us to rough water only, but it's coming from somewhere or something. It could be that it's just self-absorbed folks that don't want to share the water, but we would be well-served to practice proper etiquette as caskimmer points out.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-07-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
Maybe you guys can list the points you would like to see in an etiquette video, and I will work on it.
Old     (jon_tollefson)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-07-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
Rules of the boat also. (may differ from boat to boat, but it would still be good for people to know that some people don't want certain things on their boats, and that they should always ask the owner.)
Shoes, or no Shoes?
Eating, chips, crumbly stuff?
Drinking, glass Bottles or no glass bottles.

Taking turns on the water. Example. Sometimes when we ride, there are other people on the water that like it as smooth as we do, so we talked to them, and we decided to take turns on the water so we are not crossing each others wakes. One boat goes, and then the other boat goes when they are done, then the other boat goes. It worked out pretty well until a new X2 comes in doing circles in the middle of the lake pulling tubers. Got to love the tubers!!!

Thanks for the vids Ragboy! Keep it up!!
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2009, 11:03 AM Reply   
I'd email David and ask him if he minds and make a proper thread about it if he doesn't see a conflict of interest. Then invite the people bothered by us the most to make suggestions. Sure you'll get a lot of telling us to go to rough water but there might be a thing or 2 we hadn't thought of.

The biggest IMO besides powerturns is being respectful with your wake.

If the body of water and right of way allow try to ride so that your wake is going to have a smallest footprint possible.

Don't go into small enclosed coves if there's already someone in there and your wake is going to affect them or possibly see if you can share like Jon pointed out. I like that system.

edit: most of the stuff is common sense but not everybody has it

(Message edited by CAskimmer on July 07, 2009)
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-07-2009, 11:28 AM Reply   
ok, I am on the water in the afternoons today tomorrow and thursday. Most of this stuff I already had on my list, as a safety video, but will include etiquette. I am going to leave off in the boat etiquette like cheetoes and stuff, since it is more preference. And you would be surprised how hard it can be to keep these under 10 mins.

So if you have any good etiquette points, post them here by tomorrow. Won't do any good to finish this in august, season is here now.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2009, 11:45 AM Reply   
great points. the sooner the better
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2009, 11:46 AM Reply   
btw- grrrrr, I wish I could be on the water the next couple afternoons.
Old     (lakelife)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-07-2009, 12:20 PM Reply   
I have a safety tip to throw in the video... how about don't surf behind a friggin' bayliner?? It seems surfing has caught on here so much so that the wallies are picking up Hyperlite Broadcast surfboards and trying to surf them behind an i/o bayliner/glastron because they think it's the same kind of boat that we use for surfing. Scary to watch...
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-07-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
yep, that is already on my list.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-09-2009, 11:50 AM Reply   
so I think I have all the video shot that I need. I should have it edited and up sometime this weekend. Man, it is TOUGH doing a power turn surfing. It must be people doing it, that are NOT waited down or something.