Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-04-2010, 4:04 PM Reply   
Are you San Diego guys okay? That quake was big.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-04-2010, 4:51 PM Reply   
6.9 I hear in Mexicali
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-04-2010, 5:06 PM Reply   
It was just upgraded to 7.2

Lots of friends down at the river this weekend, not that far from the epicenter. Haven't been able to contact anyone yet to assess damage if any...

Last edited by rio_sanger; 04-04-2010 at 5:11 PM.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-04-2010, 8:02 PM Reply   
Just spoke to my parents and they didn't feel a thing. They're 30 minutes away from the border too. But they also spoke to one of my Uncles in LA and their garage shook like the earthquake was nearby.
Go figure that one out.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-04-2010, 8:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rio_sanger View Post
It was just upgraded to 7.2

Lots of friends down at the river this weekend, not that far from the epicenter. Haven't been able to contact anyone yet to assess damage if any...
Sorry to hear this - hopefully everything is okay.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-04-2010, 8:07 PM Reply   
I think everyone in that other post is describing damage on the Rio Hardy. I don't think Dave had any damage at his house on this side of the border? I could be wrong. I just haven't heard any reports of damage on this side of the border!

Last edited by wakeworld; 04-06-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-04-2010, 8:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom5815 View Post
Just spoke to my parents and they didn't feel a thing. They're 30 minutes away from the border too. But they also spoke to one of my Uncles in LA and their garage shook like the earthquake was nearby.
Go figure that one out.
I was at my parents house in temecula and the waves in the pool were a foot and a half high. we definitely felt it.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-04-2010, 8:37 PM Reply   
We just got back a couple of hours ago. Considerable damage but so far I heard no one got hurt. We were in the car in the middle of Mexicali when it happened. Very scary.

Hopefully they can get out tomorrow.
Old     (melmarsh4042)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-05-2010, 12:21 AM Reply   
Hi all we were heading to Campo Nacho's in the morning. My brother is there now and finally was able to get cell service around 8:00PM said his house has major damage. He will spend night in his truck and try to get out tomorrow. NBC news Los Angeles says the border should open a 8:00AM tomorrow. My brother checked my place and said our deck on the front of the house moved about two feet toward the river. He said there are cracks in his garage floor and water is coming up. Out in the field behind our camp are large cracks and also on the road. His neighbors brick house lost the fireplace and has large cracks in the walls it looks to be a total loss. Said no one had gotten hurt that he knew of. Also between our lot and the neighbors the ground has cracked open he says its a mess.

Last edited by melmarsh4042; 04-05-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-05-2010, 2:07 AM Reply   
we were in the car in huntington beach when the 7.2 hit. the car was swaying from side to side. we had our dogs in the car so i looked back to see if they were causing it. then i thought, "uh, they're little dogs!" so i looked ahead and saw the traffic lights swaying as well. then i thought it was the wind cause the tree behind the traffic light was being blown by the wind. in the meantime, the car kept swaying! i finally said, "crap! it's an earthquake!" frankie ended up feeling a little motion sickness.
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-05-2010, 6:34 AM Reply   
All okay here in San Diego,,,just rattled nerves. We felt three more after shocks since 3 am, two of which got our attention. I got word that friends down at the river were all okay but there is considerable damage. They were going to sleep outside last night. A few pictures were sent to me too. One shows a healthy crack in the ground and another shows a brick wall with severe damage.

As I type this, we just had another small after shock.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-05-2010, 7:34 AM Reply   
i didnt feel a thing in hermosa...wierd
Old     (JimLawhon)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-05-2010, 7:36 AM Reply   
if people have pics post them i want to see
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-05-2010, 7:54 AM Reply   
We felt it here in phoenix... My parents in L.B. C.A. said it rocked them. Hope everyones o.k.!
Old     (willklok)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-05-2010, 8:10 AM Reply   
Marsh,

This is Julie & Aaron, we are in Campo Nacho South 3 & 4. Any update with damages would greatly be appreciated. Aaron and a friend are going to try to get down there today or tomorrow. We will let you know if we know of any new updates
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-05-2010, 11:47 AM Reply   
We left Yuma and got home 10 minutes before the quake. The house was shaking tremendously. All is well here, not sure about the river place. Find out next weekend. Good thing all folks in Mosquaeda are ok, and that the Mighty Malibu was not in the garage when it collapsed. We drove right through El Centro about an hour before it happened. I would think most homes have damage in Mexico. Its kinda like Haiti. This quake was worse than the one in Haiti. Planning and codes mean alot out here in the USA.
Old    aXtion            04-05-2010, 11:49 AM Reply   
I was in Phoenix, AZ and felt it. The pool outside was sloshing side the side.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-05-2010, 12:26 PM Reply   
http://www.dirtnewz.com/dr-pressrele...s-4-5-10.shtml
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-05-2010, 6:36 PM Reply   
i know a girl that has a house on the same river that mr. williams does and she posted this picture on facebook things got very dicey there as you can see
Attached Images

Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-05-2010, 7:00 PM Reply   
Damn, good luck all...
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-05-2010, 7:24 PM Reply   
Just got home from a wild Easter on the river. It's still soaking in and it feels like we were in a bad earthquake movie. We had just gotten out of the boat and the ground started shaking so bad that I grabbed a tree to hold myself up. I watched my daughter and her friend get knocked to the ground while my other daughter grabbed a tree. I looked at the two trucks and they were bouncing side to side practically coming off the ground. Right next to those trucks was my garage and I watched it collapse right before my eyes. Then I looked down as the patio beneath my feet began to separate...and it kept separating. I yelled to the kids and my wife to jump the gap and run toward the already collapsed garage where we watched the gap widen to six feet in some places. Not sure why, but all of the sudden water started coming up from the ground everywhere and flooded the entire area and raised the level of the river by four to five feet.

So much damage to houses, docks and patios along the river. I think my garage was the only one "flattened," but there are a lot of totaled structures. The last pic below is one of the worst. We were pretty much sitting on the epicenter. Spent the night in a lawn chair freezing my butt off and riding out aftershocks. Boat was on the water, but all the ramps were cracked and there was gooey mud everywhere, so we finally filled a crack with firewood and did some wheelin' with the mighty Malibu to get out. 3.5 Hour border wait and we're finally home!! Still freakin'. Feels like a bad dream.

Name:  IMG_8426.jpg
Views: 4458
Size:  93.1 KB

Name:  IMG_8430.jpg
Views: 3796
Size:  112.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8432.jpg
Views: 3400
Size:  81.9 KB

Name:  IMG_8435.jpg
Views: 3377
Size:  77.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8449.jpg
Views: 3390
Size:  85.4 KB

Name:  IMG_8464.jpg
Views: 3370
Size:  94.5 KB

Name:  IMG_8519.jpg
Views: 3432
Size:  66.9 KB
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-05-2010, 7:37 PM Reply   
Crazy pics Dave. The most important thing is the families okay! Looks like its time for a work party down there to get things ship shape!
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-05-2010, 7:52 PM Reply   
i am glad you are all safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
Old     (NachoClubMex)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-05-2010, 8:05 PM Reply   
We were down the week before and hardly anyone was there. So glad that you were able to get out and all of your family are safe. We are located in Nachos Camp and have talked with our guard but haven't seen pics yet of any of our close neighbors. Did you go out in the boat before you left to see anything further up river from you? We are assuming from the pictures that you are in Mosquedas', is that correct. There are so many that are headed back down in the next couple of days so I guess we will see then. Remain safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
Just got home from a wild Easter on the river. It's still soaking in and it feels like we were in a bad earthquake movie. We had just gotten out of the boat and the ground started shaking so bad that I grabbed a tree to hold myself up. I watched my daughter and her friend get knocked to the ground while my other daughter grabbed a tree. I looked at the two trucks and they were bouncing side to side practically coming off the ground. Right next to those trucks was my garage and I watched it collapse right before my eyes. Then I looked down as the patio beneath my feet began to separate...and it kept separating. I yelled to the kids and my wife to jump the gap and run toward the already collapsed garage where we watched the gap widen to six feet in some places. Not sure why, but all of the sudden water started coming up from the ground everywhere and flooded the entire area and raised the level of the river by four to five feet.

So much damage to houses, docks and patios along the river. I think my garage was the only one "flattened," but there are a lot of totaled structures. The last pic below is one of the worst. We were pretty much sitting on the epicenter. Spent the night in a lawn chair freezing my butt off and riding out aftershocks. Boat was on the water, but all the ramps were cracked and there was gooey mud everywhere, so we finally filled a crack with firewood and did some wheelin' with the mighty Malibu to get out. 3.5 Hour border wait and we're finally home!! Still freakin'. Feels like a bad dream.

Attachment 1833

Attachment 1834

Attachment 1835

Attachment 1836

Attachment 1837

Attachment 1838

Attachment 1839
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       04-05-2010, 8:08 PM Reply   
WOW! Glad you all made it out safe Dave. Where exactly was this?
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-05-2010, 8:22 PM Reply   
Glad to see all are ok so far and that family and friends made it home safely. It was a very nervous day worrying about you guys. I can't imagine what last night must of been like ;(
Old     (melmarsh4042)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-05-2010, 9:13 PM Reply   
Wow is right! My brother was there also during the earthquake. They got out this afternoon. Anyone going to Nacho's camp do not use the road by the dump.
Its muddy. He said they went out the canal road to the paved road that takes you to Durango Rd / (2 brothers rd its been called) there where 3 other groups with them. Had a 3 hour wait at the border also they took all their meat home since theres no electricity and it was taken from them at the border. My brother house has major damage said you cant use the front door all the front of his lot is gone and the back of the house sunk. They slept in their truck said not much sleep tremors all night long. His next door neighbor brick house looks like its will have to be torn down.
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-05-2010, 9:17 PM Reply   
hey dave do you know ryann williams? she is the one that has the house of the picture i posted? she says she knows ya
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       04-05-2010, 10:38 PM Reply   
Wow Dave, those pictures are crazy. I can't imagine going through all of that, and I'm glad to hear your whole family is okay! I remember reading after the Chilean quake that it meant California would be really susceptible/vulnerable to a quake in the recent future, and i guess they were right :/ Hopefully this is the worst of it
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-06-2010, 6:11 AM Reply   
I was down in Mexico as well. It's hard to put into words what its like to be running with your family and friends for your lives, watching cracks in the earth open in front of you while the earth shakes harder and longer then you thought was possible. Nobody got hurt at the river that I am aware of, and given how it felt when it happened that seems kind of amazing. As you can see from Dave's garage, all it would have taken was someone being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old     (psych3060)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-06-2010, 7:20 AM Reply   
Seeing those pictures and Aki's pictures, I am just relieved that you guys are all ok. Like I have said on FB, houses and garages can be rebuilt, but the fact that you are all safe is much more important. As glad as I am that we got out of there when we did having small kids, it was tough knowing that you guys were all down there. On a side note, though, I love the picture of my old 3060 bindings standing tall near that massive crack in your brick walkway.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-06-2010, 7:24 AM Reply   
Wow Dave! I can't imagine how you guys felt during the earthquake. I am very glad to hear you and your family are safe!
Old     (willklok)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-06-2010, 7:48 AM Reply   
Marsh, This is Julie, I got your message last night. Sorry I missed you, I was still at work. I gave the message to my husband. Him and Ryan Williams are heading down this morning.
Old     (melmarsh4042)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-06-2010, 8:36 AM Reply   
Julie, glad you got it. May save them a muddy mess trying to get in. Let us know how your place is. I know a couple of others will be there today checking their
homes. The photos on here its hard to believe the damage.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       04-06-2010, 8:44 AM Reply   
Amazing that everyone is ok - glad to hear it!
Old     (willklok)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-06-2010, 8:50 AM Reply   
My stomach has hurt all day from looking at those pictures. It is so sad. I will let you know when Aaron gives me a call when he gets there of any updates. They should be on the road in the next hour.
Old    Chris            04-06-2010, 8:55 AM Reply   
DAYUM! Glad to hear everyone is OK.
Old     (akman)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-06-2010, 10:12 AM Reply   
Very hard to put into words how I feel, my home away from home and a lot of my close friends homes away from their homes basically fell into the river or got sucked into the ground. Not many things scare me and I can honestly say it scared the crap out of me. When the shaking finally stopped my wife, my friends and I could only look at each other with that deer in the headlites look and say "did that really just happen" My son was scared out of his mind and cried for an hour and shook all night until he fell asleep in the back seat of my truck with my wife. I along with Dave and a few others slept outside, it was a long, cold, scary night. The rumble we could hear was followed by the ground shaking, the dogs freaked out and then it would stop only to repeat itself all night and into the morning. Once the sun came up and you could really see the devastation around us is when it really settled in. I am sick to my stomach from all the damage I could see. We jumped in Dave's boat in the morning and went up river to see how our friends made out. I'm just thankful we all got out in good shape, nobody got hurt, our places can all be re-built. I have no idea how my boat is doing so I plan to head back this weekend and see what needs to be done to move forward and get things back to a useable condition.

Just to put into perspective how far that house that is floating in the river moved, the picture of my Teryx and buddies Rhino were taken from that houses patio only a few hours before the earthquake hit.
Attached Images

Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-06-2010, 10:17 AM Reply   
Wow, that crap is nuts....

I am guessing that your homes are in MX from the border wait time comments.

What is the recourse that you have for repairs? Will it have to be cash out of pocket?

Again, good luck to all
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       04-06-2010, 11:24 AM Reply   
Wow that is some major devastation. It is a little different seeing pictures on here than on the news.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-06-2010, 11:27 AM Reply   
Wow

Just glad everyone is ok!!
Old     (robp)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-06-2010, 12:31 PM Reply   
hey camp owners go to youtube search tnash destruction you might see a video of your house two videos are posted one is from the water just after it happened we have pretty good damage to the front of our house and my friend has severe damage to his as you can see. Hope all is well see ya in mex at the hardware store.
Rob
Old     (Throttleup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-06-2010, 5:46 PM Reply   
Planing a trip down to Campo Mosquesda tomorrow to check on the camp bringing the 4WD as told any hints on roads or just go for it...
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-06-2010, 6:14 PM Reply   
Stay on the well-traveled, compacted roads. I made the mistake of trying the runway cuz it was less flooded than everything else, but I paid the price. Turned out that the road along the camps was more muddy, but passable with 4WD cuz there's a bottom below the mud, not an ever-sinking pit like below. Also, I removed a fence in somebody's front yard in order to find a way out with my trailer, so don't be afraid to get creative!
Name:  IMG_8464.jpg
Views: 2427
Size:  94.5 KB
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-06-2010, 7:02 PM Reply   
Unreal. I was worried sick about you guys Sunday night. I was calling and emailing like crazy trying to get news. I finally got some tidbits later in the evening....the most important being that all of you and your families were okay.
Old     (robp)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-06-2010, 7:42 PM Reply   
you can get in to campo mosqueta via the pump house road and. If you need to get into Nacho"s camp or felix you will do better using the canal road from Durango thats the word I got from friends down there right now.
Rob
Old     (droidndroid)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-06-2010, 8:57 PM Reply   
I was at my friend's house at Campo BBB, which is about 2 miles south of Campo Mosqueda. I was getting my laptop out of my truck when all Hell broke loose. It knocked me to the ground and just kept going. We have cracked foundations, downed water tanks and missing walls. The 3 car garage was moved about 6 inches west. Water started bubbling out of the ground and filled in the fissures. I don't want to feel anything like that again. I still feel like I just got off a 7 day cruise and the ship is still moving. We were having lunch at Jesse's an hour before the earthquake and just got back to our camp. I WILL be back for the poker run on Memorial Day. My thoughts and prayers are with Jesse and all who suffered damage and loss to their houses.

Jack
Costa Mesa
Old     (melmarsh4042)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-06-2010, 9:57 PM Reply   
Word is power is back on in Nacho's camp got a call late this afternoon. We weren't in camp when the earth moved. But saw pictures today of our place. Its the darnest thing I'v ever seen the main building & trailer all moved toward the river at least 3 feet. We have fissures running across our lot and behind the house that is at least 3 feet wide. Going down next week to see what we can do. So glad to hear of no injuries. I was told today that Alicia & her daughter visited every person in camp after the quake to see if they were ok or needed help. What a great camp owner to do this for us. Mel's wife Donna
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-07-2010, 6:40 AM Reply   
Wow.
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-07-2010, 10:10 PM Reply   
Still feeling an occasional aftershock upstairs at my house in San Diego. Amazing. The last one was about an hour ago and was south of Mexicali. The earth is still rumblin' down there...
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-08-2010, 10:05 AM Reply   
AT 9:44am there was another Large earthquake 5.5 in Baja California. The epicenter was pretty much in the exact same spot!!!
A 5.5 is still a pretty major earthquake and not just considered an aftershock.
Hopefully this didn't do too much more damage down in that region.
Old     (psych3060)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-08-2010, 11:47 AM Reply   
I just hope that all the decided to head back down to camp so soon are well, as well as those who are primary residents.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-08-2010, 4:36 PM Reply   
So here's a map of the seismic activity since just before the big one.

This link is a list of all the activity shown on the map. http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...6.-114_eqs.php

The region is still settling into its new place along the fault. And people wonder how Baja got there...
Attached Images

Last edited by stephan; 04-08-2010 at 4:37 PM. Reason: correction
Old     (melmarsh4042)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-08-2010, 5:16 PM Reply   
Got email that one of our people from Nacho's camp with in this morning when that quake hit today said they couldn't see any more damage from it. We all just have to cross our fingers and hope for the best. Be glad the ground settles down so we can get to work and do the repairs. Alicia's has graded the camp road. Several owners have been into check their places and have return safely said lots of stuff broken on floors and some are having trouble with doors sticking or having were having to shorten them. One had electric problems but said they got that fix. Now just the rest of us have to go down and take care of our places. I also heard the river dropped a foot and the fissures are drying up. Last I heard the road by the dump with drying but still muddy. I guess for now we use the 2 brothers ranch RD to get to camp.
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-10-2010, 8:35 PM Reply   
Got a pretty good jolt here at my house in San Diego this morning at 2:15 am. It got my attention. It was especially thought provoking since I was going down to Mexico with Aki to do some repairs today. But we only had a handful of minor after shocks while we were there. We saw several tent cities along the highway...very sad to see. We did see a huge stockpile of supplies for the needy at the fire station, and many truckloads on the way south as we headed back out of there tonight.

At Aki's camp, virtually every house is severely damaged. Most look like they will have to be leveled and totally rebuilt. It's really sad. I got pretty quiet looking at all of the damage and visiting with the owners there. The guy across from Aki is pretty inspiring though. He had a large crew working like mad there today, and they made good headway. He looks like he's going to be operational again very shortly.
Old     (jeffreyrowancomcastnet)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-27-2010, 10:37 AM Reply   
Looking at the ANSS Map posted above, the ground continues to rumble. Any reports of changing conditions in the camps?