Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-06-2012, 10:58 AM Reply   
Just wondered if everyone centres their feet between toe/heel side edges or whether some go off-centre?

And if so why? Does having them closer to one edge make it easier/harder to get a good edge.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-06-2012, 12:48 PM Reply   
Mine are slightly off center, forget towards which side off the top of my head. Not by choice but just where they end up with the ducked stance I like. I wanna say its more towards the toe edge but I'm not sure.

I would imagine based on physics and leverage that you would get a better edge with your feet further away from the edge
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-06-2012, 1:52 PM Reply   
Thanks. I was wondering whar effect it would have on the edge in water. Because of the the extra leverage would the edge sit deeper in the water.
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       10-06-2012, 2:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidarider View Post
Mine are slightly off center, forget towards which side off the top of my head. Not by choice but just where they end up with the ducked stance I like. I wanna say its more towards the toe edge but I'm not sure.

I would imagine based on physics and leverage that you would get a better edge with your feet further away from the edge
I think your understanding of physics is off on this one. easier to edge where your point of contact is closer.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-06-2012, 4:08 PM Reply   
Depends on what size boot you have.
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-06-2012, 11:47 PM Reply   
As far as the leverage discussion goes i would have thought the pivot point is your heel not the edge.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-07-2012, 11:18 AM Reply   
Shouldnt depend on boot size or type of boots, if you mount them properly they should center themselves. And if you look at boards like the Ronix vault that are asymmetrical to help teach proper toeside edging, the boots sit closer to the toeside edge.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-07-2012, 11:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooya View Post
As far as the leverage discussion goes i would have thought the pivot point is your heel not the edge.
Nope. Coon is correct.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-07-2012, 6:31 PM Reply   
I have Ronix boots and the way they are designed you can move them a little more towards the toe or heel side edge. I have mine more towards the heel edge.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-07-2012, 6:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminp View Post
Shouldnt depend on boot size or type of boots, if you mount them properly they should center themselves. And if you look at boards like the Ronix vault that are asymmetrical to help teach proper toeside edging, the boots sit closer to the toeside edge.
So your saying a guy with a size 8 binding will have his heels and toes as close to the edges as a guy with a size 13 binding?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-07-2012, 6:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
The Ronix Vault actually gives you a toe side advantage.Edging drills are what teaches proper toeside edging.The Vault makes up for someone with a weak toeside edge.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-07-2012, 8:42 PM Reply   
You're right, I worded that explanation of the Vault wrong. And I wasnt trying to say that boot size doesnt affect how close you are to the edge, I was trying to say boot size doesnt affect whether or not you're centered. Levi, the boots allow you to do that, but if you line up the angles marked on the plates properly they will be perfectly centered on the board.
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-08-2012, 3:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
Nope. Coon is correct.
Still don't see how the pivot can be the edge.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-08-2012, 4:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Still don't see how the pivot can be the edge.
It's not the pivot. It's the leverage point (the heels or the toes) your putting pressure on.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-08-2012, 4:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
You're right, I worded that explanation of the Vault wrong. And I wasnt trying to say that boot size doesnt affect how close you are to the edge, I was trying to say boot size doesnt affect whether or not you're centered. Levi, the boots allow you to do that, but if you line up the angles marked on the plates properly they will be perfectly centered on the board.
I see where you were going now. It just wasn't clear the first time. It's all good.
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-08-2012, 5:20 AM Reply   
Pivot =leverage point ...I should really use the word fulcrum then there will be no confusion :-)

Last edited by Hooya; 10-08-2012 at 5:21 AM. Reason: spelling
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-08-2012, 5:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Pivot =leverage point ...I should really use the word fulcrum then there will be no confusion :-)
Pivot = pivot. Leverage = distance from pivot point. Think of a pry bar. The pivot point is near the prying end. The leverage is the distance from the pivot point to where your prying from. The pivot point on a wakeboard is the center of the board. The leverage point is your heels or toes near their prospective edges.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-08-2012, 9:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Ya Ben, you are totally correct. I just like having my feet shifted a little towards the heel side edge. Just a personal preference, and I just wanted to mention that the Ronix boots allow you to do this.
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-08-2012, 1:33 PM Reply   
"The pivot point on a wakeboard is the center of the board"

really? I don't see that at all. If it were the case you would have half the board in the water when edging.

But IF that were the case moving your toes closer to your toeside edge would increase the leverage and thus make heelside edging easier?

Last edited by Hooya; 10-08-2012 at 1:42 PM.
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-08-2012, 2:36 PM Reply   
grrrrr ran out of juice during last point....what i was going to add is... my personal view is the pivot is your heel so when you move it closer tothe toe side edge the actual distance between the two doesnt increase but you lengthen the otherside of the pivot thus increasing resistance against the edge.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-09-2012, 8:27 PM Reply   
No. When edging heel side, your toes put an upward force, and your heels a downward force....opposing moments, one with greater magnitude than the other. Mentioning positive or negative here would be stupid, because IT DOESNT MATTER, it all has to do with how you define and are looking at your system. Also, the "fulcrum" is going to be changing as the edge goes under water, it all DEPENDS on how you set up the system. If your heels are the "fulcrum" now you have a moment due to the force of water between the edge and heels. Its all physics....or, I guess, statics and some basic machine design principles.....

Its all arbitrary guys. But regardless, me and coon are right. Dont make me whip out my engineering paper and draw this out...
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-10-2012, 8:00 AM Reply   
" If your heels are the "fulcrum" now you have a moment due to the force of water between the edge and heels"

which is how I was looking at it. Anyway that answers my question. Thanks
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-10-2012, 3:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
" If your heels are the "fulcrum" now you have a moment due to the force of water between the edge and heels"

which is how I was looking at it. Anyway that answers my question. Thanks
it all depends on where you define it. Thats the beauty of physics.
sorry my post came across as me being a jerk!
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-11-2012, 1:17 AM Reply   
No, post was good. Made sense to me. I guess given I haven't thought about mechanics for 20 years I was looking at it in a very simplistic way.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-11-2012, 10:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
No, post was good. Made sense to me. I guess given I haven't thought about mechanics for 20 years I was looking at it in a very simplistic way.
I think about it all too much