Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-26-2007, 8:22 PM Reply   
ok, so I have a 2001 and would like to start putting ballast in it this week. I have already decided that I am not going to put bags on either side of the engine. I just am not doing that it would make the boat to crowded. So my question is what is the best way to weigh down the boat without putting weight on either side of the engine. My plan so far is to take the back seat completely out and build another seat with a fold up seat so there will be space so I can put some ballast. And then I can stuff some weight in the bow of the boat. Does anybody have a Ski Nautique 2001 weighted without the weight on either side of the engine? If so tell me where your weight went. Thanks.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-26-2007, 8:30 PM Reply   
what about a fat seat
Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-26-2007, 9:15 PM Reply   
launch pad lounge seats.. 540 each... still debating on the placement..but when i have only 3.. i put them here.. the other times i will set them by the engine but as far back as possible.. need the seating when not weighted

Upload

this is by the engine i would slide them back to touch the rear seats when full
Upload
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-26-2007, 9:16 PM Reply   
When I rode behind a 2001 we had as much weight as you could stuff in the bow, plus two on either side, plus a 500 in the back. I think having some weight on the side helped with the steepness of the wake. I would go with something like a fat seat to sink that thing as much as possible. I guess it all depends on how big you want the wake. If you want the best wake possible, you're gonna have to fill the entire boat with sacks.
Old     (scrupulous)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-27-2007, 7:24 AM Reply   
The weight along the side of the engine also helps stabilize the boat. I run 150 up front, 250 on each side of the motor box, and 500 in the rear that includes custom built seating/sunpad. Looking to replace the 250s with Pro X 400s. The quick connects make things so much easier. Plus I would not be worried about people stepping on them.

Do you want people to be able to walk next to the doghouse? Perhaps you could build some boxes and cover 'em with Gator Grip. Then have the sacs inside?
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-27-2007, 7:33 AM Reply   
I used to have one, I put fatsacks on both sides of the engine and one in front and back of engine. I also added lead under back seats and in the bow. I wanted a good wake, not a boat to walk around in. Good Luck. I went with the Super Airs after that.
Old     (seven20)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-27-2007, 7:39 AM Reply   
you are really gonna have to put weight on the sides if you want a descent wake. too much in the back and the boat rolls way too much bc the tracking fins won't even be in the water. i have a 600 in the back, 300's on each side and a few hundred of lead all around and the wake is nice at 80 ft 24mph when there's 5 people in the boat
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-27-2007, 7:55 PM Reply   
Does anyone have a picture of a Fat Seat or a Fat Sofa in the back of a 82-89 Ski Nauti. If so could you post up a pic. I believe they are too wide to fit back there? Will they squeeze in?
Old    atom_ant            08-27-2007, 10:33 PM Reply   
I go with 600's on either side of the motor box, but I put them against the drivers seat, so they are a little forward. Then it depends on how many people. If it's only a few then I throw a 250 behind the motor on the floor in front of the seat. The 600's are a little wide for the sides, but they work. Only problem is you can't see the floor.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-27-2007, 10:53 PM Reply   
The sofa fits alot better then the seat.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-28-2007, 2:22 PM Reply   
Well i just ordered two of the reclining seats that go on each side of the engine. Hope they work good. How much better is the wake with these than without? Does it make a world of difference?
Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-28-2007, 5:03 PM Reply   
well i do not have a pic with me next to it.. but i would say it added 8-10 inchs on the wake.. just below my knees.. I'm 6 foot tall

1000lbs water 500lbs in people 150lbs stereo/junk in the boat

Upload

(Message edited by technarider on August 28, 2007)

(Message edited by technarider on August 28, 2007)
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-29-2007, 7:01 AM Reply   
Its almost necessary to put weight beside the engine. If you don't want to step on sacs then build some boxes to house them (link below are tanks, but you get the idea).
http://www.the2001.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=531

I prefer the boat balanced (near 50/50) and run about 1100lbs total with 3-5ppl. 400lbs on either side of the engine, with 150lbs lead in the nose and 150lbs behind the rear seat. Wake is knee high on me (6'1") at 24mph 75'.
Old     (illkid)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-29-2007, 8:46 AM Reply   
I'm in the same situation as you. I don't want to have the bags on the sides of the motor as well. I just got done plumbing an automatic system with 2 pumps and 3 bags. The bags are 2 440, and a 600. I'm going to lay the both 440's width wise in the back of the boat and built a box around them. Then laying the 600 width wise under the bow. This should weight the boat pretty evenly without sacrificing the space beside the motor. And I can empty/fill front and rear ballast to fine tune the wake. With the drivers seat all the way back, there is plenty room for my feet even with front bag all the way full.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-29-2007, 9:32 AM Reply   
lmao...600 in the bow, hope you got good insurance and a recovery team, because you will be pulling that boat from the bottom of the lake. thats just not even smart or necessary. at the very very most i would never run more than about 350 in the bow of the boat. The bow of my 2001 sits really low with 250 plus a stereo. doesnt matter how good of a driver you are, you will take rollers over the bow with 600 in the front. finally, i would put money on the fact that you cant fit a 600 pounder in the front, they are just way too tall.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-29-2007, 9:37 AM Reply   
^yea. we put a tube sack at the drivers feet sometimes, and it doesn't fill all the way. they don't need that much weight up there...
Old     (illkid)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-30-2007, 8:52 AM Reply   
This is the sac I'm going to run. Fits pretty good up there and I don't plan on filling it all the way. Just enough distribute the weight of the rear bags. And I really doubt it's going to make the bow sit any lower then it would with the bags next to the motor.

Upload