Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-22-2007, 1:02 PM Reply   
Instead of hijacking the Mac Thread, I thought I would open up this one.

The only extender I tried was the 2x extender which I rented. It just didn't seem like it wanted to work with the AF on my 70-200mm. I have thought about renting the 1.4x extender which I hear is better.

Anyone have any experience with these?

-S
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       03-22-2007, 1:16 PM Reply   
you coulda hijacked my thread i wouldn't have cared. ive never like extenders but ive only used them in my b&w photo class and have never gotten the sharpness i want in my pics with the convertor. that being said i have never used one in a digital enviroment because i don't have my dslr yet
Old     (gehennaengine)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-22-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
Swami, did your AF not work at all? According to bhphoto.com, "If the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM lens is attached to an EOS camera having multiple focusing points and an Extender is attached to the lens, only the center focusing point will be usable for AF."

Is that the experience you had? Or did you get no AF period?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-22-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
Those shots I posted in the 70-200 thread were taken with a 1.4X Kenko Pro 300 on. On certain lenses the quality hit isn't that great with a good 1.4X. I would venture to say the 70-200 with the 1.4 is as good or better then the new 70-300 IS @ 300 based on owning both. Sure it's not as good as the 300 f2.8 ($4K) or a 300f4 (over $1K) primes but it's certainly cheaper. I've always felt if you're using a lens constantly with an extender bite the cost bullet and get a longer lens but for occasional use it's a very useful and relatively inexpensive accessory.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-22-2007, 2:45 PM Reply   
Thumbs up on the Canon 1.4x TC.
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-22-2007, 4:48 PM Reply   
The focus was off.. ok by off I mean WAY off. I was using auto focus on center dot, and also tried manual too.. but never could get it to work well... Granted I had just gotten my 70-200 like 2 weeks prior and was still getting dialed in with it.. but it just didn't give me a good impression.

I want to rent the 1.4xTC and see how that goes.

-S