Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    homerjunior            04-29-2003, 7:33 AM Reply   
After the long winter I recharged my battery. Now 2 weeks later, I had to recharge it again. Obviously something is wrong. What I find weird is that whenever the boat goes over a huge wake and "slams" the hull -- the electronics go out (no stereo, no gauges, nothing). When this happens I usually hit "something" that is located right next to the battery -- I think it is a relay. I figure/hope these two are related. Does anyone know how else to pinpoint what is going on? thanks
Old    hydrotek            04-29-2003, 8:28 AM Reply   
make sure all of the connections are tight on the battery terminals and on the breaker (relay) Seen the cables come loose and have this happen before.
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-29-2003, 8:47 AM Reply   
we had to replace our battery this year because it wouldnt hold a charge but the only thing i can say is check the terminals like hydrotek said
Old    robw            04-29-2003, 8:55 AM Reply   
Check the connections on the alternator too. On mine the purple wire on the EXC post broke off, never a good thing.
Old    natedogg            04-29-2003, 9:41 AM Reply   
Did your battery freeze?? If you left your boat somewhere that it would have gotten cold enough your battery may have froze, if it did you need a new one or you will have this problem. Also check your altenator mounting bracket just to be safe, we have an 03 x-10 and had to already replace the mounting bracket. We had all the same problems you are having, mainly with the stereo cutting out.
Old    sprucie            04-29-2003, 6:31 PM Reply   
My battery Optima won't hold a charge now either. After the winter it is self discharging. They reccomended that during long periods of non use ie winter you should have a 1 amp continuous charge on your battery. They are replacing it for free.

Sort of off topic but just thought I would add.
Old     (airfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-29-2003, 7:32 PM Reply   
I had my 02 Xstar in the garage for 6 weeks and the battery went dead. CHarged it and it's been fine. Often when a battery goes totally dead, the lead falls out of the acid solution and settles on the bottem. This can short out a cell and causes the battery never to hold a charge again, usually they will test at 9 volts or something. At least thats my understanding.

Why are the xstars discharging while sitting? They should go atleast 6 weeks with out going dead.
Old     (jschwart73)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-30-2003, 9:35 AM Reply   
Two Words:

Battery Tender

Best $40 you can spend on your battery.

-Jeff
Old     (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-30-2003, 1:08 PM Reply   
I second that. My '00 X-Star is still on its original battery and it's perfect (knocking on wood as I type this). It's on a tender whenever the boat is not in use.
Old    sprucie            04-30-2003, 7:04 PM Reply   
While trying to determine whether I had an electrical problem or a battery problem I spoke with customer service at MC. The told me up to 50 milliamps is considered normal draw when the boat is not in use. The ECM for the motor, radio memory and the computer for the gauges (MMDC black box I think) all have a slight draw.

After new fat sacs to replace my rear hard tanks a battery tender will be my next addition.

If you MC owners are interested in your gauge setup and computer then look at this link.

http://www.bwinstruments.com/Marine%20Product%20Group%20Menu.htm

They are the OEM supplier to MC.