Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Tehanw215)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-07-2011, 9:32 PM Reply   
Looking for the cms led bags from leadwakes?
Old     (moto817)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-07-2011, 10:37 PM Reply   
leadwake@yahoo.com his name is Jared
Old     (moto817)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-07-2011, 10:39 PM Reply   
Tehanw where are you located ? I have wanted to get some bags for a while but need to make a trip down south to do so. The shipping is too expensive for the bags themselves because of the weight
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-08-2011, 6:37 AM Reply   
You can ship the bags for 14.95 each thru the Postal Service.
Old     (Tehanw215)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-08-2011, 1:41 PM Reply   
thanks guys. I am in northern Ca in Humboldt county.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-08-2011, 1:49 PM Reply   
Did you get what supply CMS had of the lead bags. I know they had some in stock.
Old     (Tehanw215)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-08-2011, 9:46 PM Reply   
i havent looked yet. Hesitating a little. Would rather not have to use led but it doesnt seem like i can can get the weight i want in the back locker of my v215 with water.
Old     (moto817)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-08-2011, 10:20 PM Reply   
Hmm My buddy told me they had some lead at CMS but I thought they only carried steel shot ... I will hafta check them out =-)
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-09-2011, 10:59 AM Reply   
I have the Pop-products bags and they do ship them. On the other hand I was at the Wakesurf Event at Camp Far West this year and saw the Leadwake bags which were actually a little more compact and had a nice handle on them 50lbs ea as I recall. Either one would work well.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-09-2011, 11:04 AM Reply   
The bags at CMS are made by Lead Wakes. They are used bullets, not steel. They are really durable too.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-09-2011, 11:45 AM Reply   
I have used the pop bags, and the lead wakes bags. The lead wakes bags are more compact, due to actually being lead. They are made very well also. The pop bags are cumbersome to move the way you have to "flop" them over as you move them. The lead wakes bags are made much better, the handle is on the top, not the side. So when you pick up you lift from top and just set straight down. The pop bags have to be flopped, and are a pain in comparison.
Old     (moto817)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-12-2011, 11:51 AM Reply   
Hey mitch do you guys still have any lead bags in stock ?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-12-2011, 12:06 PM Reply   
We actually sold the last of the bags this past week. We wont have any more unless we drive down south again and pick some up.
Old     (Cipher)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-12-2011, 5:17 PM Reply   
My experience has been different. I have been using pop bags for six years. Half of them are filled with steel pellets(standard pop bags) and the other half are bags that I bought "naked" and filled with my own lead shot.

They are not cumbersome or a pain to move. I don't have to flop them over to move them.

http://www.pop-products.com/
Old     (Tehanw215)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-19-2011, 12:52 PM Reply   
lots of bags in stock. Bout to get 3 or 4 hundred# of lead!
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-19-2011, 1:07 PM Reply   
This thread was A LOT more interesting prior to the censorship police taking control. Grab some tire weights from a local mechanic/tire store, stuff them in a heavy duty bag from Costco, and save yourself the expense of either product.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-19-2011, 1:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehanw215 View Post
lots of bags in stock. Bout to get 3 or 4 hundred# of lead!
Where? I think I may need about 400 lbs.
Old     (Tehanw215)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-20-2011, 1:19 PM Reply   
cms. leadwake@yahoo.com. Any Knowledge on weighting the 2005 sanger v215?
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-20-2011, 2:30 PM Reply   
X4 lead-wake.

Pops are okay until i started using leadwake. I live in socal and took my boat to jerad at leadwake. He helped load my boat and took it out to set up my wake. Quality is way better. The bags weigh 10 lbs more but are almost half the size of pops. The leadwake handles are placed way better making moving the bags a lot less cumbersome. Great product. I highly recommend picking up a bunch if ur ever near socal.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-21-2011, 5:00 PM Reply   
@tehanw I have the same boat as you do. Search for previous posts about the wake on the V215 I have detailed my setup there.
Attached Images

Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-21-2011, 6:43 PM Reply   
how much weight in lead are you guys using, i mean in general? Lead still scares me in the boat, when your fat sack is underwater, its neutral, so it wont drag you to the bottom.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-21-2011, 6:48 PM Reply   
Not sure why lead would drag you down and your 1000 pound engine wouldn't. Just saying.
Old     (Tehanw215)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-23-2011, 9:38 AM Reply   
im using only what i need to get desired weight in back locker, 3-4 hundred#.
Old     (Tehanw215)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-23-2011, 9:42 AM Reply   
Dennis, love that first pic. Lead is on the way.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-23-2011, 9:59 AM Reply   
I melted down used tire wieghts, and made 230lbs of lead bricks. Each weighs about 45 lbs. The metal clips that attatches the weight to the tire floated, so it was easy to skim them right off the top, for some nice clean molten lead. I made forms and poured them very carefully. Tested them last week, and the edition of them made my wake awesome!! Didn't cost me a dime! (weights were donated to me). Oh yea, I melted them with my turkey fryer. I'll try post some pics later today.
Old     (92Maristar)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-24-2011, 6:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennish View Post
Not sure why lead would drag you down and your 1000 pound engine wouldn't. Just saying.
Its clear to see the difference in what lead weight and water weight would do to a swamp boat. The water weight would become neutrally buoyant but the lead weight would maintain the weight. Clearly their are risk involved and if you think as a company you wont get sued by someone who's boat sinks because they used your lead products you haven't been watching the news.

Adding non buoyant weight to that 1000lbs motor is is pretty dangerous. The amount of natural buoyancy built into the boat, through foam injection, would probably offset a great deal of the motor/trans weight.

I could see where in a competition only environment this risk might be acceptable to the user, but for the weekend warrior such a risk doesn't make sense to me.

Why does Pop Products have such a harsh disclaimer? Because it's unsafe to use their product.

Last edited by 92Maristar; 08-24-2011 at 6:16 AM.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-24-2011, 10:50 AM Reply   
400 lbs of lead is not that dangerous, I run 2300 lbs of water along with 230lbs of lead. As long as it its not 2300 lbs of lead and 230 lbs of water, I think its totally safe.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-24-2011, 10:53 AM Reply   
@ 92 maristar Most of these boats have no foam injection. If you get a hole in the side it is going down with or without lead or other ballast.
Old     (92Maristar)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-24-2011, 10:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
@ 92 maristar Most of these boats have no foam injection. If you get a hole in the side it is going down with or without lead or other ballast.
All of the mid year 05 and up MCs do and we are not talking about holes in the sides of boats.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-24-2011, 10:58 AM Reply   
Ok no hole it the boat, if you swamp it it will sink. I know many brands that have no foam in them. How much foam would it take to float a boat?
Old     (92Maristar)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-24-2011, 11:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Ok no hole it the boat, if you swamp it it will sink. I know many brands that have no foam in them. How much foam would it take to float a boat?
Seems some boats still float even after being swamped pretty bad. I'd go out on a limb and say that if this boat had 500 lbs of lead in the back of it it would have went down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68AOltMu768

How much lead do you think it would take to sink a boat?
Old     (92Maristar)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-24-2011, 11:46 AM Reply   
Just so you know, your boat probably has foam injection as well. I'm sure many many others as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDUlQufvfyE
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-24-2011, 1:47 PM Reply   
So I happened to visit CMS yesterday, and they are out of the bags but they had one old one they were using as a door stop or something, so I thought I would take a few pics. Keep in mind, this one has been lying around as a door stop, so a bit beat up, but you can see how nice they are and how durable. The lead is denser than the steel shots in pop bags, so they are noticeably heavier than you expect.

IMG_0390 by wake9, on Flickr

IMG_0392 by wake9, on Flickr

For comparison, here is what a pop bag looks like. And that bag is like a plastic, not as durable. IMHO.

Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-24-2011, 2:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Ive seen many pictures of swamped boats that have not gone down. add another 300-400 lbs of lead and i bet it would sink. that right there is enough of a reason for me.

Last edited by ilikebeaverandboats; 08-24-2011 at 2:58 PM.
Old     (92Maristar)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-24-2011, 6:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
I always knew MC was doing foam injection and the more I read about other manufactures the more I see they all use foam injection to include your Tige'. It seems they have all being using this construction process since about 2005, some even early then that.
Old     (92Maristar)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-25-2011, 9:59 AM Reply   
Oh, sorry, Dennis, I thought you had a Tige' not a Sanger. I don't know much about them.
Old     (Tehanw215)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-25-2011, 8:59 PM Reply   
email jarred at leadwake@yahoo.com. just had 8 bags sent via us postal service
Old     (Tehanw215)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-05-2011, 7:08 PM Reply   
so i tried my lead this weekend and was a little disappointed. 1200 in back locker and stock 500 bag in front full, driver and flagger in boat on 05 sanger 215. do i need more people in boat? Where should the lead be placed in the locker?
Old     (Shorpy)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-05-2011, 7:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragboy View Post
For comparison, here is what a pop bag looks like. And that bag is like a plastic, not as durable. IMHO.]
Fact #1. The bags are not "like a plastic"

Fact #2. The bags a very durable. Mine are going strong after 6+ years. When I unload them, I drop them to flat on my driveway from the boat while it's on the trailer. No problems at all after all of these years...

Your "Humble Opinion" isn't based in reality, let alone first hand experience with schlepping Pop bags around. IMHO.

Caveat Emptor should be included at the end of every one of your posts. IMHO.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-07-2011, 8:17 PM Reply   
heres the pics of my lead brick build. i now have 5 bricks equaling 235lbs
Attached Images

Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-07-2011, 9:50 PM Reply   
i have accumulated 1500lbs of lead ...... 500 lbs of rolled roofing lead in 40lb rolls that i traded for a couple of fishing rigs ...... 540 lbs of the most perfect lead bricks 27lbs a piece that was used as a gamma ray shield commercially at .25 cents a pound .... 450 lbs of super small shot that is a nightmare whenever it gets out anywhere that i paid .25 cents a pound ..... i just ran an ad in craigs list " looking to buy lead " and i got offers from all over

i currently run just 500lbs in the rear locker ...... last year i used about 1040 lbs as i kept 540 under the side seat which i dont do anymore as it frees us up to do more in the boat

ive had and been around boats constantly for over 40 years ..... 30' sportfisher to 15' zodiacs ..... i personally have never seen a boat get swamped into submission or sink ( i had to run a 28' sportfisher on the ramp before because it was full of water, i had a 25' fishing boat take a wave over the bow off pacifica beach and flood the entire cuddy, thanks to the sea deck we were able to motor out of the surf and bail the boat and get home back through the gate )

to have a boating mishap that would completely swamp the boat into submission or sink it outright would be a scary accident for sure and the " accident itself " i have to believe would determine if your boat was to sink or float submerged ....... not the contents of said boat

i believe someone would have to show me that lead would cause your boat to sink ...... pull the plug and launch any boat and see if it floats submerged for any length of time ..... then do the same test with 500lbs of lead in the boat ......

im sure it has to make some sort of difference .....but i have to believe the " accident itself " will dictate what becomes of your boat more so then whats in your boat ..... in my humble opinion!!
Old     (92Maristar)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-15-2011, 5:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wofrankwo View Post
i have accumulated 1500lbs of lead ...... 500 lbs of rolled roofing lead in 40lb rolls that i traded for a couple of fishing rigs ...... 540 lbs of the most perfect lead bricks 27lbs a piece that was used as a gamma ray shield commercially at .25 cents a pound .... 450 lbs of super small shot that is a nightmare whenever it gets out anywhere that i paid .25 cents a pound ..... i just ran an ad in craigs list " looking to buy lead " and i got offers from all over

i currently run just 500lbs in the rear locker ...... last year i used about 1040 lbs as i kept 540 under the side seat which i dont do anymore as it frees us up to do more in the boat

ive had and been around boats constantly for over 40 years ..... 30' sportfisher to 15' zodiacs ..... i personally have never seen a boat get swamped into submission or sink ( i had to run a 28' sportfisher on the ramp before because it was full of water, i had a 25' fishing boat take a wave over the bow off pacifica beach and flood the entire cuddy, thanks to the sea deck we were able to motor out of the surf and bail the boat and get home back through the gate )

to have a boating mishap that would completely swamp the boat into submission or sink it outright would be a scary accident for sure and the " accident itself " i have to believe would determine if your boat was to sink or float submerged ....... not the contents of said boat

i believe someone would have to show me that lead would cause your boat to sink ...... pull the plug and launch any boat and see if it floats submerged for any length of time ..... then do the same test with 500lbs of lead in the boat ......

im sure it has to make some sort of difference .....but i have to believe the " accident itself " will dictate what becomes of your boat more so then whats in your boat ..... in my humble opinion!!

While not completely scientific, it is a pretty fair example of the differences of water vs lead ballast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bs6GMQri5k
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-15-2011, 3:18 PM Reply   
doesnt count, the amount of weight in lead you put in the plastic boat weighed more then the vessel it self i presume? no one is putting 3k of lead in their boat
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-15-2011, 3:22 PM Reply   
Well maybe Frankwo....haha J/K
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-15-2011, 3:23 PM Reply   
correction: wofrankwo
Old     (92Maristar)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-16-2011, 5:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv420 View Post
doesnt count, the amount of weight in lead you put in the plastic boat weighed more then the vessel it self i presume? no one is putting 3k of lead in their boat
The amount of weight is not the point. The point being the principle differences between water and lead.
Old     (Shorpy)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-16-2011, 6:38 AM Reply   
Exactly!

Try writing a term paper with a pencil filled with water.

It doesn't work!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-16-2011, 2:02 PM Reply   
Ok I wish i had a old boat so we could try and sink it with water, then try again with lead. Well still never know because all boats are different. Shorpy, that makes no sense at all. Ok did the baggie of water weigh the same as the lead? I'm not trying to argue, I just dont believe 250lbs of lead will sink a 23ft boat. Maybe....but I would bet against it. And we all know lead sinks. That is pretty much all the demonstration suggests. Happy boating to ya all, i'm really not a hater. I can agree to disagree....no problem : )
Old     (Shorpy)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-16-2011, 2:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv420 View Post
Shorpy, that makes no sense at all.
QUICK!!!

DUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Something just flew over your head!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-16-2011, 2:24 PM Reply   
I have these but in 100lb size and they are covered in the same carpet as my boat. They work great!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-16-2011, 2:25 PM Reply   
http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/piglead.htm
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-17-2011, 10:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorpy View Post
Fact #1. The bags are not "like a plastic"

Fact #2. The bags a very durable. Mine are going strong after 6+ years. When I unload them, I drop them to flat on my driveway from the boat while it's on the trailer. No problems at all after all of these years...

Your "Humble Opinion" isn't based in reality, let alone first hand experience with schlepping Pop bags around. IMHO.

Caveat Emptor should be included at the end of every one of your posts. IMHO.
Im going to back Ragboy...I have both the lead wake bags and pop bags..

FACT # 1. The pop bags are made of some type of "plastic" composite. Not a heavy duty canvas like the lead wake bags.

FACT # 2. I do feel in pop bags are durable, but I have blown at least 3 bags while lightly dropping them on my "flat driveway". I don't take them out now because I fear I may lose more.

The Lead Wake bags are each 10 lbs heavier, smaller & more durable than the pop bags. The only advantage pop has is that the filling is not lead and lead can be toxic especially to children.

"My humble opinion" is based on years of firsthand experience.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-17-2011, 10:47 AM Reply   
Regarding the argument over the safety of lead..Lead should not be a replacement for water ballast. A few 100 lbs works great to dial in the wake. My boat likes weight in the nose and right side for wakeboarding. I can quicly move that weight from the right to left to surf. I hide the bags in the right places so the wake is the way I like it when the ballast is full. Most people that ride with me never know the lead is there.