Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-08-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
Is it just me or are people really annoying with their phones on the boat?

Recently I was out with some friends riding. As I was pulling a rider I looked around and everyone was kind of off in their own little corner texting and or e-mailing.

Call me old fashion but when I go out on the water I want to forget about time and the outside world. It's about chillin with friends and having a good time. If I use the phone it's only to give someone directions to the ramp or something like that.

I feel that we are forgetting how to live in the moment and too worried about what else is going on. Anyway just curious on other peoples thoughts on this.
Old     (spinner_x)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-08-2009, 8:45 AM Reply   
It depends if it's work related or not. I'll text friends and what not while i'm on the boat, i don't see a problem with it.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-08-2009, 8:47 AM Reply   
I totaly agree which is why it took forever for me to get back to you this past weekend. I look at my phone maybe every couple hours when I am out on the boat unless I am expecting someone who needs directions to call.

Granted last Wednesday I did have to send a few texts while I was out with you which is what you may be talking about.

You putting your boat in the water today? If not and you checked that ramp and its good maybe I will bring mine down, as if it is just me and you it would be a nightmare to put the tower down.

(Message edited by jaybee on June 08, 2009)
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-08-2009, 8:50 AM Reply   
The only time I text is when someone is either:

1. At the dock ready to be picked up or on their way.

2. Meeting up or tieing up with other boats.

Other than that I dont email or text. I do that the rest of the week. Once I am on the boat being "connected" is my last concern.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-08-2009, 8:53 AM Reply   
Dont worry John it was not the day you came out. LOL!

I just noticed that people use to help out more, they would jump up to help a rider in or out of the water or whatever. Now they are to busy texting and helping out or paying attention to what is going on is no longer a priority.

It's not even that it's a big deal to me I just find it amusing and wondered what others thought.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-08-2009, 9:20 AM Reply   
I'm guilty for texting in the boat, blame it on being a single guy talking with a lady!

That being said if I'm not chasing a girl my phone just hangs out somewhere in the boat. I guess it doesn't bother me as long as my spotters and driver are doing their job.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-08-2009, 9:22 AM Reply   
I agree with you. It's one thing if you are using your phone to coordinate meeting someone at the dock or taking care of a work issue. It's another if you're BSing with other friends over text, etc. That's just rude.

It also bugs me when I'm on someone elses boat and they have the stereo cranked non-stop. I understand cranking it for the rider, but it sucks being in the boat and not being able to talk or hear because the music is so damn loud. It's like being by yourself on a boat for 4 hours with 5 minute breaks in-between while riders change out.

Perhaps I'm just too old, but it annoys the he'll out of me.

(Message edited by Nauty on June 08, 2009)
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-08-2009, 9:34 AM Reply   
That's why on my new system I made it to where you can fade it completely to the tower speakers. It works great so people can communicate in the boat unless their on the phone or texting! LOL!
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-08-2009, 9:40 AM Reply   
i agree with the music thing, we only have the stereo turned up if someone is riding and thats only the tower speakers. when we are just in a cove hanging out, we turn the boat speakers up just enough as back ground noise. not to the point where you cant hear anyone.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-08-2009, 9:48 AM Reply   
We just ended up unhooking the inside boat speakers.... they just were too much, and never got used.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-08-2009, 9:57 AM Reply   
I agree, too much texting could kill the lake vibe. The worst offender in my crew is my 17 yo son, but for the most part my crew is way more plugged into wakeboarding than anything on their phones so no issue for me, but could see how I might put someone that does nothing but text in their own world while on the boat and pretty much ignores the riding, conversations, ropes, racks way down on my call list to invite out again.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-08-2009, 10:27 AM Reply   
I ride with numerous people, but my main crew is like me in the sense we are out there to ride, chill, and get away from the hustle and bustle of life (phones, computers etc.) Not to mention I'm just bored today and have no one to talk to but you fine folks of Wake World! So I am e-mailing but I'm by myself. LOL!
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-08-2009, 10:32 AM Reply   
Well answer your phone and lets go ride sucka!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-08-2009, 10:50 AM Reply   
LOL! John will do...
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-08-2009, 11:42 AM Reply   
I have to say it happens with my crew a lot, including myself. I will say it's mostly work related (sometimes we should be at work instead of at the lake)and can't be ignored.
Old     (inty399)      Join Date: May 2007       06-08-2009, 11:46 AM Reply   
I rode with a guy that was the boat owner and the only way we could go ride each morning is if he got some work done on his phone while in the boat not riding so he could go into work late and not be a big deal, so if the only way to be on the boat is to have to work then its ok.

but it does get annoying
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-08-2009, 12:24 PM Reply   
I totally advocate using the phone for work if your playing hookie, there are loop holes for sure. LOL!
Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-08-2009, 9:15 PM Reply   
i try not to text if someone else is riding cuz i think its kinda lame if you dont watch them....
its always nice to stomp something and look up and see peoples hands in the air and not the top of their heads
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-09-2009, 1:19 PM Reply   
I am soo guilt of this that I'm writing this message now and am driving out of the 5 mph zone
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-09-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
phones should be banned from the boat.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-09-2009, 3:07 PM Reply   
My crew are mutes, so we have to text each other in the boat. Sign language is so 90's...
Old     (jboard1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-09-2009, 3:32 PM Reply   
It's easy not to text on the boat when at&t doesn't have any service where i ride.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-09-2009, 3:33 PM Reply   
If I'm out by myself I'll text, but why text when you got everyone you want already on the boat ?
Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       06-09-2009, 10:05 PM Reply   
I dated a guy where one of his rules was "no phones". Nowadays, I don't bring my phone on any boat. It's too expensive to get wet, and who could possibly call that has something so important to say that I would stop having fun to answer?
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-09-2009, 10:21 PM Reply   
callen, lmfao!!!!
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-10-2009, 8:59 AM Reply   
Phones + boats = laaaaame.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-10-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   

quote:

Phones + boats = laaaaame.

Not true, without my iPhone or friends Blackberry we wouldn't have any music to listen to.