Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (bbsxkills)      Join Date: Dec 2008       08-03-2009, 9:28 PM Reply   
So I'm out on Lake Burton in northern GA the other weekend at a buddy's house taking a mid-afternoon set. The water was kind of trashed but we found a little run to get a couple good passes in. I ride for a bit, take a few falls, have a good little set. Anyways, I'm wrapping it up cause I see a tuber coming back into our spot to mess things up. I get a little patch of nice water and I go down on a back 5. I pop out of the water and the boat with the tube is cruising by me yelling whatever they were yelling. The tube is kind of far away from me at this point but out of nowhere it makes a bee line for me. I freak and go under just in time to have the tube skim the top of my head and my board pop up behind me and hit the under side of the tube. I come up laughing hysterically and they just speed off. Absolutely ridiculous. I hate tubers.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else before?? Curiosity...
Old     (nate01)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-03-2009, 9:34 PM Reply   
should have chased that down.that's so retarded that they even got that close to you.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-03-2009, 9:45 PM Reply   
Are people that retarded they don't realize there are proximity laws???

We almost ran over a jetskier two weeks ago who was right on our a** when we turned the boat around.

Lets face it, no matter what the watercraft there's too many stupid people out there.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-03-2009, 9:46 PM Reply   
That is crazy. Where was your boat during all of this?
Old     (sethenol)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-04-2009, 4:47 AM Reply   
wow Jeff that is nuts, I've had plenty of fishing lines cast toward me but never a tuber wtf?
Old     (mastercraftboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-04-2009, 5:02 AM Reply   
Definitely fishing lines, these fisher all pack on this one dock, even though its designated to be a pickup and dropoff dock, so we call the city and they put a no fishing sign up, but this year we were sitting in our boat, and WATCHED them pull the sign off the pole and throw it in the water, these fishermen are so stupid as to cast as were pulling up, so we just keep going and if their line gets cut, its not our problem

(Message edited by mastercraftboarder on August 04, 2009)
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-04-2009, 6:40 AM Reply   
How the F haven't I heard this story yet? So much for bein' best friends and all.

Hilarious though. D*ckbutt
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-04-2009, 8:45 AM Reply   
Some one would die if that happened to me.
Old     (tyler11boats)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-04-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
Funny story... I witnessed something like this happen a few years ago but it didn't end as well for the person on the tube. There were a group of guys standing in the water a little over waist deep. A guy on a jet ski was pulling a girl on a tube... he thought it would be funny to sling her around in the direction of the guys. One of the guys happened to be a large man, probably around 300 lbs. Well the driver of the jet ski missed judged the turn and slung the poor girl full speed right at the big guy. He saw her coming and lowered his shoulder... the tube hit him, and the girl went flying (probably 30 - 40 feet in the air). The big guy never moved, it was hilarious. Girl was okay by the way.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-04-2009, 9:17 AM Reply   
That's definitely grounds for a serious beat down. Some lessons are best learned the hard way.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-04-2009, 9:22 AM Reply   
I'd knock him out cold and fill his boat with my tsunami pumps... ASS.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-04-2009, 9:29 AM Reply   
haha, i was thinking that to pete, just didnt post it
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       08-04-2009, 9:43 AM Reply   
Well I almost killed a tuber at Castaic a few years back thanks to the idiot driving him. It could happen to any of you so I'll give you the quick run down. We had a rider go down, looked back and saw a boat with tube bearing down on him, with the drivr looking straight back at the tuber. We throw a huge power turn and start back to protect are rider, other driver still has not looked up to see our rider, it is also apparent that this boat is moving fast and our rider is in serious danger. I buried the throttle and told the others to get ready to jump off the boat as we were going to put our boat directly between our rider and them.

Guess what, the driver looks up and makes a hard turn right to avoid a collision with us, doing this he also whipped his tuber directly into my path and I am moving about 40 miles per hour. I banked hard right and pulled off the throttle and we missed him by less than a foot. It pretty much ended our day, that kind of stuff really shakes you up.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-04-2009, 10:02 AM Reply   
I would have f'd that guy up.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-04-2009, 10:27 AM Reply   
Yah its too bad for the tuber since he is at the mercy of the driver (who is really at fault in some of these stories).
Old     (jd7bball)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-04-2009, 11:13 AM Reply   
yeah this kinda of thing could happen to anyone. My little brother went down while learning to wakesurf last year. There was some guy letting this little, little kid drive a jet ski which was following us and cutting in and out of the absurdly large wave we put up. Needless to say, the inexperienced drive (i.e. the little kid) wasn't paying attention and came within a foot or so of plowing over my brother. Tried to chase them, but we were fairly weighted down so we never caught up.

This is why we now keep a water balloon launcher on the boat... haha
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       08-04-2009, 11:46 AM Reply   
A year or two ago one of the friends I ride with was inches away from being hit by a tuber whose driver didn't even notice us
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-04-2009, 12:22 PM Reply   
Several years ago we were riding in a cove at Lake New Melones when a wakeboarder fell and was so close to our boat that the towboat had to circle around us to pick him up. The driver cut it WAY too close and drug the towline across the back of the boat eventually going across the tower. I thought FOR SURE it would get caught on a board rack and flip our boat. We got lucky and were able to keep it from catching on anything. The stupid part was that we started yelling at the person "hey, hey" when their rope looked like it was going to come across our boat. Instead of stopping or slowing down the driver Throttled the boat making the situation MUCH MUCH more dangerous. It looked like the guy's wife was driving and the husband was wakeboarding. The dude was LIVID at his wife and he had her pull him up, dropped about 200ft later got in the boat and took off out of the cove. I could see him yelling at her pretty intensely. I think the wakeboarder (husband) apologized for the incident.
Old     (liquidlite)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-04-2009, 2:46 PM Reply   
My brother fell a few years back, and some retard on a waverunner that couldn’t keep his distance, hit my bro’s board while he was still strapped in. Talk about getting shaken up! It is indescribable the feeling you have when you see something like that happen, especially the moments pulling back up to the rider in the water. Luckily he was uninjured. Well, one would think that lighting doesn’t strike twice, but this past weekend we had a waverunner come between the rider and the boat. No joke. I grabbed the rider and went straight after the two guys. If DNR wasn’t out I would have run them down.
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       08-04-2009, 3:41 PM Reply   
I really don't like boats that power turn but it is your job as a boat driver to get the boat between your rider and anything that might hit him. Doesn't matter what it might do to the water.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-04-2009, 5:15 PM Reply   
Tom, I think if a jetskier EVER went between myself wakeboarding and my boat I would enjoy the clothesline that would occur! hahaha.
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-04-2009, 9:38 PM Reply   
spectra should take a head clean off!
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-04-2009, 10:30 PM Reply   
it would take a head off if you could hold it tight enough. I had a friend who almost lost his foot when he was thrown off the back of a jetski after wakeskating and the coated line wrapped around his foot.
Old     (bbsxkills)      Join Date: Dec 2008       08-05-2009, 12:36 AM Reply   
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha thanks guys. as for you luker, calm down. i was gonna tell you but i don't see you anymore cause you're living the married life once again...lame!!

<3
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-05-2009, 11:14 AM Reply   
solution:

http://www.raytheon.com/businesses/rtnwcm/groups/public/documents/content/rtn_bus_ids_prod_mk46_pdf.pdf
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-05-2009, 1:05 PM Reply   
Here is what you need to carry on the boat:

Paintball Gun that launchs pepper spray balls....

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=PBT-TAC700

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=PBT-PC3-R375

Tell me it wouldnt be awsome to have some Jack@ss riding up behind you too close and unload on them with pepper spray from a couple hundred feet away.