Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-27-2008, 5:05 PM Reply   
I tried to adjust my bindings (08 LF Alphas) on the weekend and I seem to have busted one of the thumb screws (luckily it is still done up tight and set where I want it so I can still ride)

I'm pretty sure I can get a replacement from somewhere, just wondering if they make one piece metal ones. Anyone seen something like that?

The plastic thumb screw piece seems to have broken away from the screw, or been gutted on the inside so it just spins on the screw and doesn't undo it, probably due to having to crank them up so tight to get the bindings to lock down properly and the thread locking compound they put on there. Seems like a stupid idea to me, I check my bindings are screwed on tight before I ride anyway, and I kinda want to take my bindings off the board once in a while, especially since it doesn't fit in my board bag anymore with the higher cut boots. So Loctite on the threads is more of a PITA than anything, although I can get rid of it with a thread file or something like that.

Has anyone replaced the thumb screws with anything else? I don't really see a way to replace it with a SS bolt or screw as the clamp part is sort of part of the screw, not one piece, but hard to take apart... I've seen some other boards (Hyperlite I think) with Phillips or Posi screws but they don't seem to have the same method of locking the bindings down...

I know higher end LF base plates have the 3 holes drilled in them and setting the angle is done by shifting the boot on the plate rather than shifting whole the plate like mine, but I don't think they will fit my bindings...
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-27-2008, 5:12 PM Reply   
I've had the same problem as you on my wife's bindings.

It also looks like they are using this system on the full line for 2009. If that is a case I am going to have to go with a different company for my bindings.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-27-2008, 6:08 PM Reply   
The last 3 pairs of watsons that I've gotten came with stainless phillips screws. I'd call LF, I'm sure they could spare a set of binding screws.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-27-2008, 6:32 PM Reply   
Thanks Justin, but the Watsons are one of the high end bindings I mentioned, different plates...

Upload
Alpha
Upload
Watson

I would call LF, but I think it could get quite expensive from NZ. I guess I will just have to go back to the dealer and get some more... although it would be good if I could find something that isn't bound to eventually break again.
Old    dperizzolo            10-27-2008, 6:37 PM Reply   
i worked at a shop in the summer and we had a number of problems. just go to your local dealer and i am sure that they will be able to replace them for you.

(Message edited by dperizzolo on October 27, 2008)
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-27-2008, 6:43 PM Reply   
Cool, thanks Darren. Did you just swap them new for old or is there a different thumb screw available?
Old    dperizzolo            10-27-2008, 8:38 PM Reply   
Yeah we just gave out new ones. bring your board and bindings to see if they work better than the old ones because about half of them were flawed.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-27-2008, 8:54 PM Reply   
Fair enough, I think I'll have to take my board along as well. The head let go while the screw was still fully wound in, so short of butchering it to get it out I don't really think there's much I can do. They might have some tricks up their sleeves at the shop though, you never know...

Thanks again for your response Darren.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-27-2008, 9:28 PM Reply   
the 08 thumb screws suck. the were shipped with too much locktite. if you scrap it off first it works perfect though.

for 09 the plates and screws are all different.
Old    dperizzolo            10-27-2008, 10:17 PM Reply   
locktite has been an issue with them for a couple years now, your fingers a raw by the time you get them in.

no problem Jos, happy riding!
Old     (extremedave)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-28-2008, 2:05 AM Reply   
when i bought my LF vantage bindings, i got quick release screws with them, they work on a cam system (much like a quick release on a bike saddle) they are all metal, and you can really crank them up tight, easy to undo as well so you can take your bindings off too
Old    dperizzolo            10-28-2008, 5:19 AM Reply   
the cams are great, unfortunately the thumb screws work on something similar to the claw system where there is teeth on the screw that has to fit into the plate. therefore they aren't interchangeable.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-28-2008, 10:18 AM Reply   
same problem here! I had to use vice grips to getr them off! I ordered my online so not sure I can bring them to a local shop!
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-02-2008, 2:18 PM Reply   
The cam screws do work, but it's not a straight swap. I've got them on my board now, but there is a plastic washer/rocker type thing that has to be shaved down quite a bit to fit into the claw part. About an hour with the drill and some sand paper was all it took to get them to the right size. I did them 2 at a time and fit the rockers into each other to keep them straight.

Other than that they're all mint, and they look far nicer too.