Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-10-2006, 6:03 PM Reply   
So I am thinking about building a tower for the 2001 nautique I am about to buy. I really like the design of the joystick universal so I am going to copy that shape. My friend has built 8 towers before and he is willing to help me out. My only question is will 1.5 inch aluminum tubing be strong enough? The joystick universal uses 2.5 inch aluminum tubing. The reason I ask is because I found a place that sells adjustable flanges for 1.5 inch tubing.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-11-2006, 5:38 AM Reply   
No sense in copying it. If you wait until the offseason (oct-dec) you can pick up a joystick off ebay for cheap.....probably only slightly more than what it would cost in materials to build your own.

IMO, if you're gonna copy a tower to put on a nautique.....copy the FCT. I would still use 2" tubing though....1.5 will look too small.
Old     (schackdaddy)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-11-2006, 5:43 AM Reply   
The 1.5" will work depending on the wall thickness, but like Ryan said may look small. With a larger diameter a thinner wall tube can be used as well. The parts I got for my tower said they would fit 1.5" tube. I used 2" and was going to tig and fill to center the peices. It turns out the peices for the breakaway were actually 1.5" OD, and where the breakaway was exposed it was 2" and slid into my 2" tube perfect.
Old     (jaybird)      Join Date: May 2006       07-11-2006, 7:40 AM Reply   
I built my tower and would NEVER do it again I mean dont get me wrong I love the look and I have intergated a bimini top (that I built)as well it fits my boat style nicely I think but for the money and time just not worth it 02 I guess its all a matter of what your time is worth
good luck and post some picts when done
JJ
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       07-11-2006, 9:22 AM Reply   
I have to kind of agree with Jay. I just built one and it is very time consuming and you spend alot more money trying to find pieces than you tink you will. If you are going to build it PM me. I have a couple of contacts that will help you get mounting pieces and pieces to help it fold. If I were you I would look for 2" because I think it will look better. Here is a picture of what mine looks like. I like the final outcome and it is really solid and functions better than I even expected. It is pretty cool when people ask where I got it to be able to tell them I built it.
Upload
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-11-2006, 9:27 AM Reply   
Thanks guys, I think I will just go and buy one ebay at the end of the summer like you said. I dont plan on having the boat finished till next semester anyways.
Old     (weygone)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-11-2006, 11:42 AM Reply   
Leo- I noticed that you go to A&M...I'll be a freshman there next year. Are there any clubs that you're apart of and do you do alot of riding during the school year?
Old     (cheaterpete)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-11-2006, 8:28 PM Reply   
I have made my own tower have a look

http://www.thecheatersgang.com/correctcraft.htm
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-12-2006, 5:36 AM Reply   
pretty slick Peter! Nice little hot rod you got there.
Old     (woodawg)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-12-2006, 4:19 PM Reply   
Here is my 84' 2001 with a Boss Pro SeriesUpload
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-12-2006, 5:36 PM Reply   
Hey Chris, send me a PM or email at Leo0648@charter.net

yes we have a club. Unfortunately very unorganize but a lot of young talent, we need more new guys to make it bigger. If I buy the boat, we will use it as a club boat.