Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Snowboarding

Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-30-2010, 6:23 PM Reply   
and Kansas and Kansas St. are still playing B-ball 22 minutes past the time and I'm sure they'll beat to death the last minute for another 10. God I hate college basketball. Let the state of Kansas miss the XGames. Rant over. Did I miss anything.
Old     (wake1012)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-30-2010, 7:13 PM Reply   
I agree They should have put the xgames straight one. Last night was nuts the 1440 double corks
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-30-2010, 7:19 PM Reply   
We missed the 1st 50 minutes. Not sure if it was nationwide or we were just unlucky in the south. Hell, they didn't even cut over immediately, they did interviews. You want to make basketball a legit sport in my eyes, make the rim 12 foot high and if you miss a shot, it needs to be physically painful.

(Message edited by dudeman on January 30, 2010)
Old     (phat_steve)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-30-2010, 8:22 PM Reply   
I didnt realiz it till last min but the scroll at the bottom said to switch espn classic. X games are on point this year Helgason is no joke
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-30-2010, 10:16 PM Reply   
It was on ESPN Classic, they did the same thing twice already. It did say it every 5 seconds scrolling on the bottom of the screen. All you really missed was T Rice not making it through
Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-30-2010, 10:29 PM Reply   
More college basketball viewers than Xgames viewers. Just how it is. I for one would have been kind of pissed if they would have switched off of the game.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-31-2010, 3:08 PM Reply   
Alright Marshall, are there more Chris Berman watchers than Xgames viewers? They just cut it off again over 2 hours short and I'm watching the Super Bowl preview. Unfortunately, the $110 I pay a month doesn't include ESPN Classic. I'd cancel ESPN if they didn't have it included in the package. I think you should be able to pick and choose your channels. Pretty sure if there were some brothers in the Xgames, they'd keep showing it. Flame away for that statement, I grew up in NY and don't have a prejudice bone in my body, just sick of affirmative action.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-31-2010, 3:57 PM Reply   
That's weird. They did extended coverage here, well past when it was supposed to end. Let ESPN and your local provider know you're bugged.

I have always thought cable where you choose your channels and pay per channel would be the best thing.

#1 team in NCAA going into overtime is a pretty big deal
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-31-2010, 5:15 PM Reply   
Nope, hosed 2 nights in a row. Called to voice my opinion and it fell on deaf ears. Sorry, but I think that the Xgames atheletes have a lot more skills than basketball players even though it's not mainstream yet. Times are changing. Accept it Grandpa.
Old     (phat_steve)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-01-2010, 4:56 PM Reply   
Funny me and my wife had the same thought last night after being pissed about basketball. Snowboarders and skiers should make the money these basketball and football players make. They have way more talent and deserve the money. I get bored of watchin them run back and forth and fall asleep, the X games have tons of things going on at once and we cant get enough hopefully the olympics are as good. Maybe one day the X games will be on reg TV how sweet would that be.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-02-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
Coming from an action sport diehard, I still dont think its fair to say team sport athletes are not as respectable as action sports athletes (nor vice versa). This is like "the which sport is harder" argument. Its silly and never ending. Who cares which is harder, want a cookie?

From my experience, team sport athletes have much more grueling practices/training work wise. You dont have to run suicides till you puke in wakeboarding. The pressures of in game situations (especially at the end of games) is crazy with all the fans and teammates relying on you. Winning is everything in team sports, action sports even at a high level arent like that. Its about having fun and giving your best, winning a silver is still good, who cares who comes in second in the NCAA tournament?

On the other hand, action sports often have super high consequences for mistakes. Injuries crashing on a mega ramp or halfpipe are way worse than turning the ball over. The guts it takes to try something new is crazy vs. trying a new play. Perfecting a new trick is way harder to practice than ball handling drills. Every time you fall you could get injured, and its harder to break it down. You cant do a walk through at half speed of a backflip on a 100ft jump, you eventually just have to do it and work from there. Each type of sport is insane in its own right, to get as good as Kobe Bryant or Shaun White is mindblowing to me, whether its about hours and hours of practice and drills or having no fear to learn new stuff. Give respect where respect is due. As for the money, its all about the market. How many people are going to watch the World Series vs. the Dew Tour?
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-02-2010, 5:48 PM Reply   
please dont sleep on the amt of money snowboaders, skiers, skateboarders and surfers make...they make insane amounts of money.

now there arent nearly as many of them making millions every year but theres a damn good number of them that do so.