Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-02-2009, 5:14 AM Reply   
Picked up a set of Vantage ltd edition bindings that I tried out for the 1st time last night. WOW, they are so different than any bindings i've ever ridden. I think they may perform similar to Slingshot bindings which I tried one time and loved the bindings but thought I hated how the Slingshot board performed. I think when a binding bolts directly to the board without a plate system it completely changes the characteristics/performance of the deck. In other words, with the plate systems it's a little more of a snowboard looser feel because the plate acts as a small fulcrum underneath the foot that dissipates the riders movements that are transferred to the board. I couldn't hit half my tricks and struggled to get used to the board which is the same shape i've ridden for years. I love the fit and feel of the bindings but it looks like i'm in for a big learning curve to get used to the difference. It makes the board seem so much stiffer and it feels like it makes it a lot tougher to break loose on the surface. The biggest difference I noticed was on trip/flip tricks like a tantrum. I know I only rode it once and I want to get used to them, especially since it looks like all the brands are starting to come out or already have similar systems. It felt like I lost a foot of heighth of my ability to ollie. Anyone else out there experienced similar observations on the new plateless binding systems? It is also making me think differently about my buddies Slingshot, once I get used to these new binders I'll have to hit it up his set up and see what a difference I notice. I would think once I get used to them it should be better because they are soooo much more responsive than my previous Watson CT with the plate system.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-02-2009, 11:37 AM Reply   
I just got a pair of Watson LTDs, and I'm madly in love with them. I feel like number one, the setup is weightless compared to how it was with my last pair of watsons (07 CT). I don't have a swim platform, so we have to pull the boards in before the rider climbs out, and everyone who has pulled my board out has commented how much lighter it is now...

It took a set to get the feel of the bindings down, but they are way, way, way more responsive, not to mention I feel like they're easier to go big in. Not necessarily because of the weight of it all, but because the board reacts more efficiently with them versus my old bindings. Poking is harder because they much more stiff than the last bindings I had, but still. I feel like everything is way easier with the bindings.

People on here aren't kidding when they say that the bindings are more important than the board. A good comfy pair can make all the difference in the world...