Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (kevin)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-18-2010, 1:12 PM Reply   
I have surge brakes on my boat trailer and they seem to lock up pretty easy when I brake. Does anyone have any ideas or sugestions? Is that normal?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-18-2010, 5:17 PM Reply   
Maybe the damping shock is worn out?
Old     (kevin)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-18-2010, 7:12 PM Reply   
I'll check that and see what it looks like. How stiff should it be?
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-18-2010, 7:58 PM Reply   
Air in the lines? Boatmate adjusted mine for me last year when I was there and mine's been fine ever since. They were locking up before.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-19-2010, 6:38 AM Reply   
Take the receiver hitch off the truck and hook it up to the ball to use as a lever to operate the master cylinder. It should be pretty stiff. IIRC it should take 5 sec or so to push it all the way down. Typically air in the lines makes brakes mushy, but I've seen stranger things.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-19-2010, 7:45 AM Reply   
If you have one brake that locks you need to look for problems on the opposite side. Sticking parts or air in the wheel cylinder.
Old     (kevin)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-20-2010, 11:24 PM Reply   
They both lock up. I can feel them start to grab and then if I brake much more than that they will both lock up and start smoking and you don't even really have to bake hard for it to do it.
Old     (nauti4life)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-21-2010, 2:22 PM Reply   
How level is the trailer?