Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-13-2011, 11:15 AM Reply   
[SIZE="2"]I was on holiday's from June 30 until July 10th up at our summer house on Nicola Lake here in BC, Canada. I ended up borrowing my brother's F250 as I was quite loaded with all the food, fuel, and such that my 05 F150 would've had a hard time on a couple of the big hills to get there. You start at close to sea level and get up to about 4,105' by the summit with a couple long long hills that eat a lot of vehicle's due to over heating. In my F150 I start at the bottom of the major hill at about 110 kmph and by the top I am usually doing anywhere from 30-50 kmph. With my brother's truck I hit the top at about 80kmph and on quite a few of the other hills I was the one passing the little 4 bangers. Pulling to and from my local lake is fine with my truck but a diesel is still in my future on day as the next boat will def way more then the one I have today.

A few of the days we got blown of the lake with high winds which sucked and the one day was really scary as the wind was gusting 40-60mph and was sending rollers towards me that were about 3' tall and just rolling over the crappy make shift wind break. My boat only sits about 12' out of the water in the bow so it was a little scary to say the leased but I made it on the trailer without a single wave over the bow.

The Nautica Capri Island from Costco. All I can say is awesome. I can't wait to use it again. 11'x14'

One issue we had is my brother's truck doesn't lockout the brakes when you go in reverse so I had to disconnect the hydraulic line on the trailer to reverse. So the one day my friend ( original owner of the truck) was pulling the empty trailer to a different boat launch down the road as the regular one was tied up all day with a construction crew. Anyway, over the noise of the diesel and windows up he didn't realize that the one trailer tire had locked up and he was pulling it. He left a black skid mark on the road for almost 2 miles before he noticed ( see pic). He ran down to me in the water with the boat and I told him what to do. Luckily I had a spare as it gave one heck of a wobble going down the road. See pic for flat spot. Probably took off about 5/8' of rubber. Another day we wanted to take out our Lund for some good ole fun so we had to sway out the hitch. Somehow when I attached my mud flap bar to the receiver I got the break away cable through the U-bolt so when my buddy pulled forward he yanked the cable right off the trailer. Luckily it wasn't connected to great ( unlucky if I was driving down the highway and something bad happened) so it didn't lock all the breaks on the trailer.

So now that I am back I have replaced the tire with a spare ( $ 150.00) and need to get the trailer in to make sure I don't have any air in the brake lines, get a new break away cable installed, and I also have found that I am leaking oil between the transmission and engine so I will have to take that in to the local Tige dealer so I can get the engine yanked. big thumbs down!

All in all, Great holiday, 1 week is never enough, and the word boat sure lives up to it's name.[/SIZE
]
Attached Images

Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-13-2011, 11:53 AM Reply   
Doesn't your trailer have a hydraulic brake actuator that you can lock out and prevent the brakes from engaging? All you have to do is insert a nickel or the tab that comes with the trailer and problem solved.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       07-13-2011, 1:09 PM Reply   
Yeah, you can also flip the 5 pin connector over and plug it into the vehicle harness backwards then turn on your parking lights to feed +12v to the blue wire/5th pin. The ground won't be connected but you will get sufficient ground through the ball/tongue. I did this when backing for a month or so until I installed a 7 pin harness on my truck.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-13-2011, 1:35 PM Reply   
Nu Bu, I will have to look I have never known about that.

Jeff, good to know. I will have to try that if I use his truck or another sometime.
Old     (wakeboard_pittsburgh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-13-2011, 2:24 PM Reply   
That sucks about the trailer, but that place looks amazing.

I love the big CBRE sign in the first picture.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-13-2011, 2:45 PM Reply   
You can also get a 7 to 5 pin adapter online for about $10 shipped, or around $15 at your local auto parts store.