Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (bob_l)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-05-2007, 11:12 AM Reply   
07 X2 - I live in a rainy climate so have a tough time really airing my boat out when I come home (it usually rains in the afternoon). Last week, I did the wet vac thing but it seems to be a lost cause. Cannot stand the smell of sour carpet and know that it cannot be good for the interior.

Any tricks of the trade out there AND any suggestions on keeping the carpets smelling nice after being wet?
Old     (riverdave)      Join Date: May 2007       06-05-2007, 11:39 AM Reply   
If you keep letting the boat get hosed down like that it's going to be junk after awhile. Definately get some sorta covered storage, if it has to sit outside maybe two of those large somewhat portable tent things that you can park cars under.

A friend of mine bought one and it didn't seem overly expensive and his has 4 sides and a roof, it looks like a miniature garage almost? That would solve your problems on the dampness.

Not sure about what to do about mildew smell as we're in a dry climate.

RD
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-05-2007, 11:41 AM Reply   
My boat is always stored in a garage, however I will put the cover on (to keep the dust out) and throw in a small fan that I turn on high and my carpet never smells and the boat is always dry...

Of course if your cover isn't waterproof then your efforts are going for not.
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       06-05-2007, 11:47 AM Reply   
Bob. I live in Seattle and store my boat outside. I bought a small heater for it. I cover the boat and set the heater in there and leave it. Its dry the next day. Works great.
Old     (bob_l)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-05-2007, 1:10 PM Reply   
Thanks for the tips. I have a waterproof MC cover and will be storing inside. This Sunday, for example, it rained pretty hard on the way into the ramp - whole interior was soaked. Rained stopped, got home and cleaned her up nice and wanted to leave the cover off Sunday night and Monday BUT it rained AGAIN.
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-05-2007, 1:15 PM Reply   
Put some of the Damp-Rid products in your boat...under the cover....I put 3 to 5 of them under the cover during the week and everything is typically dry by the next weekend. You can even put a small fan under there to help with the whole process...
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-06-2007, 12:56 AM Reply   
Same problem in Florida. Leave the cover off so it air drys but put it under a carport/canopy. I have one that is 10' or 12' X 26' .Im in the process of extending the legs so I dont have to fold the tower every time in.
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-06-2007, 6:23 AM Reply   
Bob, I know we shouldn't tow with the cover on, but you should try it. It might save you from the rainwater. I have the 06 Xstar and it doesn't do to bad with the cover on. I had a 01 X30 that had the snap cover on it and towed it for over 20,000 miles without any problems, give a snap cover a thought. Just make sure it is tight and all the snaps stay snapped.
Michael, what kind of heater do you use for the boat, sounds like a good idea?

(Message edited by PaulW on June 06, 2007)
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-06-2007, 6:28 AM Reply   
Do you have the snap in carpet on the X-2, I took mine out just for this reason.
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       06-06-2007, 6:52 AM Reply   
Its a marine space heater. We have to have them up here for the winter to keep everything from freezeing. I use it when it gets socked after surfing in the rain. Just place i on a piece of wood on the floor. Prop the seats up so the air flow goes under them to dry the compartments. Then just cover your boat and leave it.

This is almost the exact one I have.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/245831/0/0/heater/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0
Old     (bob_l)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-06-2007, 8:00 AM Reply   
Paul:

My 07 X1 only has snap in carpet in the bow area. As for towing with the cover, I do not have a problem with it as my MC factory cover has the nice ratchet straps. The problem usually comes when it rains while the boat is in the water. We have a camp so the boats stays in the water from Friday-Sunday and in South Louisiana, you are going to get a couple inches of rain during that period.

I am going to try the fans/heaters, dry packs, etc. and see if that helps.

Sure wish the X1 had snap in/out carpet and no carpet under the seats or next to the engine and rear ballast tanks.

Thanks again for all the tips.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-08-2007, 12:13 PM Reply   
When I used to store my boat outside, I bought a portable dehumidifier, I don't remember which one I bought (since I now store my boat inside), but it was really good at removing the moisture while the boat was in storage. It would plug into the extension cord and had a hose that would pump the water outside of the boat. It is also much safer than a heater. Once the moisture was removed, it autmatically shut off.