Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (charvey)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-30-2006, 11:17 AM Reply   
I did a search and couldn't come up with a the information I was seeking. I may have missed it.

I just picked up a 2004 Moomba Outback. Has a tower, but no built in ballast. The boat is in showroom condition with 32 hours. It runs great, but I think I screwed up. I'm new to owning a boat and wakeboarding. I learned to wakeboard over the last few months on the old boat I still have which is a 70' Correct Craft Mustang. My trick portfolio is pretty weak, but I can land wake to wake with 4 feet of air, and I'm still learning. I wanted more air.

First day our on the new boat I was a little disappointed with the wake. I should have done more research. What I've learned is the regular outback hull is different from the rest of the moombas and better for skiing. I had no ballast in the boat and my wife and sister.

I know I have to add ballast and I'm not looking for 10 ft of air, but can I set this boat up with a nice wake? What size sacs do I need and where should I put them. What is the best ballast pump? Do you drain and fill them each time out? How long will it take to fill and drain the tanks? Do you pump the sacs empty or drain them into the floor?
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-30-2006, 11:37 AM Reply   
Don't despair yet. Before you put that boat up on the classifieds and get back into the hunt, get yourself some ballast bags. Maybe like a set of sidesacks made for DD boats and a good pump to go with them. you may also want a third bag for the ski locker, rear storage locker or just more weight for the back. Check out some wakeboard website stores and you will see there are tons of products that can help you along. Direct drive boats like rear wieght, add side sacks as big as you can get them on either side of the engine.

You will never stop wanting a bigger wake. I started on a friend's direct drive and we added 700 lbs, then another 500, then we got a Super Air V-Drive and added 800 lbs to the stock ballast. Currently we are plumbing in custom sacks so we can get to 2000 lbs of total ballast. It's just the way it goes, and endless quest to add weight and make launching easier.

Get some ballast and sack the boat out. Just be careful driving as the added weight changes how the boat handles. Hopefully an outback owner will chime in here and give you some better details than I can.

Best of luck.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-30-2006, 11:57 AM Reply   
don't have any specifics on the Outback hull, just a few details to follow up with flux' comments. spend a few hundie on sacs and a pump before you give up on 'er. (and you pump the water back out when you're done)
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-30-2006, 12:04 PM Reply   
these would have been perfect to get you started:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/340677.html?1151692699
but they sold... keep your eyes peeled in the classifieds section. they go pretty fast
Old    phx450            06-30-2006, 3:24 PM Reply   
I have the same boat and the same problem. I do notice the more people in the boat the better. We put a big ice chest in the middle behind the motorbox. then you have two people sit on either side of the ice chest on the back.

Next have two of the girls go up front and sit. all this with a driver and a passenger up front is putting a wake out that is okay for me we have a sack that can be filled for the rear trunk area.

The beer runs out, the wake gets weaker.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-30-2006, 3:35 PM Reply   
If you feel like doing some experimenting stop by your local lumber yard and pick up about 300lbs of sandbags and put them on the platform. Put on more or less until you like the wake. Put a couple in some duffel bags and move them around the boat. This will give you some ideas on what you need without having to spend more than $20.

I seem to recall the outback has a fairly round wake so keeping the wake as far back as possible is key.
Old     (elo)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-30-2006, 5:29 PM Reply   
i think ebay has the best deals on sacs

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MASTERLINE-FAT-SAC-SACK-BLADDER-WAKEBOARD-PUMP_W0QQitemZ230002017544QQihZ013QQcategoryZ47363 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old     (charvey)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-30-2006, 8:31 PM Reply   
Thanks for all of the input. I didn't mention that when I bought the boat the owner included a couple of what I thought were small ballast bags and a cheap pump from ebay. I should have said this in my earlier post.
I rushed home from work and put the boat. Only my wife this time, but I used the pump and filled the sacks. Quick and easy. The sacks are I guess 16 inches round and about 4ft. long. I put them on both sides of the engine and hopped in the water and told her to hit it. The wake was waaaaay better. At just shy of 20 mph the wake was a great step up for me at my skill level. I am so stoked now.
I can elevate my rear bench seat to the level of the back storage area top and put a 600# sack below and put on or both of the other sacks in the bow as my skills develop. Thanks for all the input. I be here alot now.
Old     (charvey)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-05-2006, 9:35 AM Reply   
Is this a good price?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-FAT-SAC-COVERLESS-BLADDER-WAKEBOARD-SACK-WAKE-BOARD_W0QQitemZ7249207698QQihZ015QQcategoryZ15272Q QssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-05-2006, 9:45 AM Reply   
put one across the back and the use the others in the bow
Old     (ronnie1978)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-05-2006, 10:45 AM Reply   
I have the same boat 2004 outback my set up is:
2x750 pound sacs the big fly high sacs around engine (1500?)
1x440 launch pad bow sac walway (440?)
1x600 bg coverless sac under raised seat (600?)

I am not sure of the exact weights but that is what is advertised. I use 2 pumps 1x750 gph 1x1200 gph. I leave the walkway filled all the time because it is a hassle to get it in the right spot and it takes about 15 to 20 minutes to fill. I do not have a upgraded prop although I plan to change. With the regular prop it will get on plane ok but it is hard to hold speed. I run 21-22 @70 feet
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-07-2006, 12:36 AM Reply   
And Rons gas bill every time he goes out is....
Old     (ronnie1978)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2006, 7:57 AM Reply   
Your right the gas does hurt I have put about 25 hours on the boat this year and spent $500 on gas so about $20 per hour on the boat.