Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       06-20-2013, 6:42 PM Reply   
While trying to jump the wake I got a video of me doing what is almost an unintentional superman. Too bad I didn't land it. Unfortunately I can't get the video up here.

And courtesy of my af buddy at work
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-20-2013, 11:52 PM Reply   
Oh boy.......... Your gonna get eaten alive on here man. At least learn the trick names before you post about them. It's a Raley not a superman
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-21-2013, 5:06 AM Reply   
And clearly that wake is kryptonite

Shorten that line, keep the handle in, and keep charging.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-21-2013, 6:33 AM Reply   
HAHAHAHAHAH! Superman!
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-21-2013, 6:45 AM Reply   
Ryan, its a superman. I can clearly see based on the picture and that picture is awesome--both sequences.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-21-2013, 7:26 AM Reply   
If you ride your heel edge really hard with your body in a C shape and you don't flatten out at all as you hit the wake then you will end up in a "superman" whether you want to or not. Just make sure you don't straighten your front leg out as you hit it or you'll be gazing at the stars before crashing hard.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-21-2013, 9:19 AM Reply   
Man, that wake looks pretty bad. It looks like the boat is going 12mph, try speeding up a little. Sweet "Supaman".
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-21-2013, 9:22 AM Reply   
I keep clicking on this thread to laugh. That edit is awesome. I needs to be animated and passed around on social media.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-21-2013, 9:25 AM Reply   
Is that even a wake boat wake? Looks like a jet boat wake.
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       06-21-2013, 9:26 AM Reply   
When I looked up both raley and superman they both looked the same to me. But I'll just stay off the forum until I learn everything on my own, save myself the embarrassment.

The wake isn't great, I try to have my driver keep it between 18-20 but like me she is still learning.
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       06-21-2013, 9:27 AM Reply   
It's a ski boat. Can't afford a wakeboard boat yet.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-21-2013, 9:37 AM Reply   
I totally understand the troubles with a driver on a boat without perfect pass, it can be tough to keep the speed consistent. By Ski boat, do you mean a Direct Drive or a I/O?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-21-2013, 9:41 AM Reply   
Bump the speed up to 22 or so, should help clean up the wash (white foam on top of the wake) What make and model of boat is it?
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       06-21-2013, 9:51 AM Reply   
97 ski brendella pro comp. I thought about sacking it but its freeboard is already too low for me to feel comfortable. Usually just put everyone in the back. I think that run was on the 60' notch on the rope.
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       06-21-2013, 9:54 AM Reply   
Direct drive
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-21-2013, 1:05 PM Reply   
Hey Tom,

I was reading through and noticed your statement: " I'll just stay off the forum until I learn everything on my own, save myself the embarrassment "

I would like to welcome you to the WakeWorld forum and I appreciate you sharing the good times you're having as you learning this sport, as we all are. Keep the posts coming, it's great to have new voices in the forum, and I know we all look forward to seeing future posts with sequences of the new tricks you're landing.

Take the sarcasm on here with a grain of salt and don't be discouraged from posting. Considering there's people that still post the Helmet v. No Helmet every few weeks and 17 "What Board Should I Buy" threads monthly, it's great to see people sharing what they're up to, Superman, Raley, Superhero or otherwise.

Oh... and where's the 2013 Boat Bun?!?!??!?
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-21-2013, 1:18 PM Reply   
Yeah dude- welcome! No one is giving you grief- The speed is a little slow though- try 22-23 and I bet that wake cleans up- there are a LOT of people on this site with ski boats loaded down and creating great wakes
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-21-2013, 1:21 PM Reply   
Don't add weight until you get some technique! Also want your girl to get comfortable driving the boat. It gets more difficult with weight so best to learn unweighted.

Bump speed to 21-23, wake will clean up. Work on technique and you'll be rippin in no time. That wake will be fine for a while
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       06-21-2013, 2:41 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. That comment was only a joke, my sarcasm to remind people they once had to learn too. I guess it came off to serious. luckily I have a forum to help. I don't feel comfortable with ballast just because the boat sits so low with people we take a little water occasionally when folsom turns into the pacific ocean. I'll just see if I can shorten my rope a little more and pick up the speed a little. I figured 18-20 would just be easier on the landings like my "head first superman"
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-21-2013, 2:51 PM Reply   
Hi Tom,

Regarding weighting, your wake in the pictures looks quite wide and pretty washed. So, the combination of the above suggestions will help out.

Get that speed around 21-22 Mph, and shift some more of the weight towards the back and keep that rope short. A clean wake will do miracles.

Keep rocking it!
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       06-21-2013, 5:36 PM Reply   
I always put everyone in the back, this is only my third time out. I got up once 7 or 8 years ago but was deployed after that.

My rope has segments ending at 60' I think. Should i shorten it more using the loops over myhand technique? Like the link below? I've used that for wake surfing but I don't know if i trust it for boarding

http://www.supraboats.com/bbs/showth...-rope-(w-video)
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-21-2013, 5:39 PM Reply   
Stick with 60. More people in the front will help with the wash... Too much rear weight.can cause wash
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       06-21-2013, 7:14 PM Reply   
Good to know I thought you wanted everyone in the back. Going out sat sun. I'll shift some people around and try to
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       06-21-2013, 7:15 PM Reply   
Find the good spot
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-21-2013, 10:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryguy1717 View Post
When I looked up both raley and superman they both looked the same to me. But I'll just stay off the forum until I learn everything on my own, save myself the embarrassment.

The wake isn't great, I try to have my driver keep it between 18-20 but like me she is still learning.

Sorry Tom, I wasn't trying to be rude. What I meant is a lot of people on here can be pretty malicious over the lamest things and I saw you were new so I meant to warn you and point you in the right direction(trick names etc...). Came across wrong.
Welcome to the forum. It's a great place to learn, just look past all the BS and haters...

Check out learnwake.com too for some great instruction
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       06-22-2013, 7:12 AM Reply   
I want to see pics of an intentional superman this weekend! Don't be scared, but don't get hurt either.
Old     (bcd)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-22-2013, 10:41 AM Reply   
Find out what RPM the boat runs at to get your desired speed. Have her target that RPM instead of trying to constantly adjust the throttle based on the speed the boat is going.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-22-2013, 11:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd View Post
Find out what RPM the boat runs at to get your desired speed. Have her target that RPM instead of trying to constantly adjust the throttle based on the speed the boat is going.
I've never heard this advice given before and I've been operating tournament ski boats for 15 years...

Tom, practice makes perfect driving. If you have airguide speedos, they work great. Make sure they are calibrated too. If you have a smartphone, download GPS app. Make sure you are not in a river and check your speeds...

Start at 22 and work from there. Direct drives when unweighted hold speed pretty well. She will get it soon.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-22-2013, 12:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
I've never heard this advice given before and I've been operating tournament ski boats for 15 years...
The speedometers suck on my 97 Super Sport which also lacks perfect pass so I too use RPMs to maintain a consistent speed...

Last edited by homedawg678; 06-22-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-22-2013, 12:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by homedawg678 View Post
The speedometers suck on my 97 Super Sport which also lacks perfect pass so I too use RPMs to maintain a consistent speed...
Supersport is a different animal... especially if you are running weight. Depends on the driver though, that boat without perfect pass, you just need to feel it out, use a combination of rpm, speedo and feel/listen to the engine...

A direct drive will be different. Depends on your speedos too. The larger airguides, so long as they function well, you can tell speed differences easily...
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       06-24-2013, 7:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post

Tom, practice makes perfect driving. If you have airguide speedos, they work great. Make sure they are calibrated too. If you have a smartphone, download GPS app. Make sure you are not in a river and check your speeds...

Start at 22 and work from there. Direct drives when unweighted hold speed pretty well. She will get it soon.
How do I use that. I've seen the airguide in my boat. I don't have an rpm gauge. But the airguide just looks like a gauge I can set. Idk how it works.
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       06-24-2013, 7:43 PM Reply   
So I cleared the wake this weekend and landed it but it was cheating. I'm pretty sure the loop of rope I was on was between
50-60 haven't got to measure it because we had a rain storm come through. But it was great, I think it was a fluke because I couldn't do it again. Landed a lot in the middle after that. I was just cutting out as far as I could heel side. Then cutting in legs stiff, hit the wake legs stiff, jumped, then landing while bending my knees. Definitely was a squirrely landing but I didn't slip out and fall.
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       06-24-2013, 7:44 PM Reply   
Unfortunately the go pro on top of the pylon had already died or else I'd have a video or pics to prove it.
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       06-24-2013, 7:46 PM Reply   
I can keep my throttle pretty much.on Target plus or.minus one mph