Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (corbin)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-24-2010, 4:21 PM Reply   
What do you all think of this one? I've never heard of it and don't know how jet drives are for wakeboarding... but my brother is thinking of buying a used one.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/boat/pro...5/0/specs.aspx
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-24-2010, 4:54 PM Reply   
I know someone that bought one in the spring. I drove the boat and it was scary to drive at slow speeds. The owner hated driving it so much that they stopped using it in August after putting a hole in it from hitting a dock. They are going to sell it next spring. I'll let others comment on the wake, since I did not wakeboard behind it.
Old     (corbin)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-24-2010, 5:47 PM Reply   
jet drives are definitely different handling boats. If you're not used to driving a jet then you'll probably hate it. I could go into detail but...
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-24-2010, 6:16 PM Reply   
A jet drive for what we do is a big mistake. The boat handling, the wake, everything is a problem with them at some point. For $35k you could have any way better boat designed for what we do.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-26-2010, 6:40 AM Reply   
Not good for boarding and a real pain with any weeds in the pond.
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-01-2010, 2:02 PM Reply   
Well, you and your brother are asking the wrong crowd!!!

Go to http://yamahajetboaters.com/ and post your questions and see what Yamaha owners think?

If your brother is a hardcore boarder/surfer/etc. I'd be the first to tell him that it it is definitely not his cup of tea. You can add ballast, etc. for a bit more wake but the jet wash area is definitely something a good wakeboarder would not like.

If he is a recretional boater that likes to enjoy spending time with the kids and family like 90% of us and don't want to worry about maintenance or repairs or replacement of props, the Yamaha is definitely something he should consider.

dcooper - The low speed issue can be tame with the addition of Cobra Jet Steering. Mention it to your friend so he could look into it. It's relatively inexpensive and very effective at low speed and even better in reverse.
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-01-2010, 5:17 PM Reply   
Jet boats suck for boarding. And that's speaking from having owned or used four different ones.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-02-2010, 7:10 AM Reply   
Kvoman said it perfectly.

It's like a more useful bayliner. Great family boat with no props and a great layout, not a core boarder boat.

Once you get the hang of it, steering is easier than my inboard in reverse IMO. Just a different learning curve.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-02-2010, 2:28 PM Reply   
Less control, less power/torque, less rough water capabilities. I hate them, they're all over the lake here thanks to the marina renting/selling them.
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-02-2010, 6:18 PM Reply   
My Sugar Sand is very maneuverable but really small. My sisters Yamaha steers like a pig, the twin engines don't help either. But if you want a boat that's really family friendly and low maintenance, it's the way to go.