Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-11-2009, 1:37 PM Reply   
i got my boat in nov and for our first run this year we used the gas that was left over from purchasing the boat. after my first time out i tried to top the boat off and after about 2/3 of a gallon it started to spit back at me. i tried to just barely pump anything in at a slow speed and it kept spitting back at me. i had enough gas in the boat to go out again and now there is pretty much half a tank left in the boat. i tried to fill it up again and the same thing happened. so today i tried to use a gas can at home to do it as slow as possible and after about half a gallon it wouldnt take anymore...i let it sit for a few minutes and went back to check on it and it was still sitting right at the gas can. i left and came back about 2 hours later and the same amount of gas was still there. im not sure what the problem is?

i blew into the vent right next to the gas tank and i saw the gas that was sitting in it begin to move so im not sure if that means that the vent is clear or not? any advice would help!
Old    K.B.C.            05-11-2009, 1:47 PM Reply   
sounds like a problem of some sort. I have a 95 and it hardly ever spits, only when it's topped off and completely full.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-11-2009, 1:49 PM Reply   
Maybe a kinked fill hose? Have you been messing with ballast or anything in the interior?
Anyway you can see the gas tank & what is really in there?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-11-2009, 1:50 PM Reply   
^ do not use a match to light it up
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-11-2009, 2:11 PM Reply   
i did mess with the ballast but i can not see anything in there that leads to the gas line. where would i find the vent/gas line at?
Old    K.B.C.            05-11-2009, 2:25 PM Reply   
it runs behind the dash/kick panel, into the ski locker then along tht top of the ski locker to the gas tank. sounds like you may need to pull the floor and kick panel out and see if you have a kinked line
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-11-2009, 2:29 PM Reply   
I've pulled the floor panel and examined the lines in the ski locker. There doesn't appear to be any kinks in the sections of the lines that are accessible via the locker, so I guess next step is to pull the dash panel off.

BTW, which line is the gas line, and which is the fuel vent line?
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-11-2009, 2:31 PM Reply   
thanks, by the way. really want to get to the bottom of this one.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-11-2009, 2:41 PM Reply   
Yea, I was just thinking that maybe a fat sac was pushing on a fill hose inside the boat, kinking it to the point that your having problems filling it. I'm sure a kinked vent line would do it to some degree too, but not to the degree that your describing.

Can you see the tank at all? How full does it appear to be?
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-11-2009, 2:46 PM Reply   
yeah i took the floor paneling up and it looks a little less then half full
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-11-2009, 2:52 PM Reply   
would a kink in any line be visually noticeable?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-11-2009, 2:55 PM Reply   
Yea, go kink a garden hose with the water turned on. That kind of sharp angle is what I would have thought..... IF thats the problem.

Check the vent line too. Like I said, I'd expect a similar problem if it were blocked too, just not to the degree that you described. But who knows, better check it to be sure.
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-11-2009, 4:46 PM Reply   
crazy. neither one was blocked, turns out the fill line just dipped downward and then upward near the hull, and couldn't make it "up the hill" in the hose at the upward section. I bent the line a bit by hand, and sure enough, the gas all emptied into the tank.

thanks again.