Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old    firedoc818            08-09-2005, 8:18 PM Reply   
Just started this wake board thing and have always been goofy foot. Got up on the first try and can move about fairly decent. Problem is switching to right foot forward. I am having a hard time maintaining edge and am sliding and face planting. Is there anything I can do to get more comfortable going right foot forward??? Ie exercises, board drills....
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-09-2005, 8:21 PM Reply   
Set your bindings up to be even both ways. Ride a little switch every time you go out and it will slowly come around.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-10-2005, 1:37 AM Reply   
Slow the boat down and just do a couple hundred surface 180s back and forth and back and forth. That is how I learned them back in the day, and we even had directional boards back then with huge fins on the back. You just hold the switch position longer and longer and then bump the speed back up incrementally until you have it dialed. Then you learn to hop in and out of it, then go blind. Like Jay wrote, ride some switch every set. For every move I do regular, my goal is also to learn it switch.
Old     (wakebrdrnc)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-10-2005, 4:12 AM Reply   
Not to be a smart a$$ but if you are goofy why are you having to switch to your right foot.
Old    trout            08-10-2005, 6:54 AM Reply   
are you sure you are goofy? IM goofy and my right foot foward is my normal stance.

maybe you are not as goofy as you thought?
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-10-2005, 7:12 AM Reply   
Get the "Book" DVD and take the learning curve down to a minimum.
Old    firedoc818            08-10-2005, 7:54 AM Reply   
I dont know why but I have always led left foot forward, Skate boarding, Slalom skiing and now wake boarding. I have been eyeballing the DVD "The Book" and am now going to purchase it. I dont know why but I loved to ski, knee board and tube but since I tried this wakeboarding thing I cant get enough of it. My only dissapointment is that summer here in Ohio is coming to an end and I'll have to figure a way to maintain practice for the spring.....Maybe buy a trampoline!!!
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-10-2005, 9:12 AM Reply   
Firedoc,
The term "goofy foot" refers to right foot forward. Normal stance is left foot forward. I think that's why Shane made his comment. Riding switch refers to doing the opposite of what is your normal stance. So, if your normal stance is right foot forward (goofy), switch is riding left foot forward - if your normal stance is left foot forward, switch is riding right foot forward. At least, that's what I've been told.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-10-2005, 11:06 AM Reply   
Firedoc,

Like Dococ said, slow the boat way down. Move the handle from your lead hip, "Which should be your left from what you wrote" to the opposite hip, "Right" This will allow you to do surface 180's and get a good feel for riding switch.
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-10-2005, 11:39 AM Reply   
screw the trampoline...go for a dry suit and ride longer into the year. that's what I plan to do. there's not substitute for time on the water.
Old    emboarder            08-10-2005, 12:06 PM Reply   
Let go of the handle with your left hand and you should just spin around.. Then just try riding around switch.
Old    firedoc818            08-10-2005, 1:01 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the help. I am going to try these ideas this weekend and let you all know how it worked!! As far as a drysuit I have 2 but it is hard to get the boat to cut thru the ICE :-)
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-10-2005, 1:36 PM Reply   
also, make sure you have your weight on your heals. having too much weight towards your toes when doing the surface 180, will contribute to the faceplants!
Old    firedoc818            08-16-2005, 9:43 AM Reply   
Just want to say thanks for all the help. You guys on this forum are great. Spent all weekend on river practicing slow and feel much more comfortable riding right foot forward. I am now able to do wake 180's from the left and right. Once again THANKS. If anyone ever gets up to the Napoleon Ohio area and wants a pull look me up.