Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (darinmg)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-24-2006, 3:01 PM Reply   
I am just wondering why these boats don't get a lot of press on this board? Whenever I have seen people ask about which boat to buy, these boats are not suggested. Why is this? Is it just a preference thing, or are these boats not as well regarded? Are they in the same class as Supra, Moomba, Tige, and Sanger?
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Darin
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-24-2006, 6:54 PM Reply   
In my opinion Ski Supreme's construction is just as good as any... as for innovation and fit and finish... I would say they are a bit better that Moomba not up there with Supra. They are bang on with Sanger and Centurian.
Old     (sup208)      Join Date: May 2004       09-24-2006, 6:57 PM Reply   
I have an '04 Supreme V208 and I love it. I honestly believe it is a hard boat to beat for the money. I love the Malibus, Mastercrafts, etc but they are more than I wanted to spend. I would reccomend to people to try out many different boats that they like and look at the features and price. Mine had everything i want and I price that would meet my budget.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-24-2006, 7:10 PM Reply   
IMO Moomba, ski supreme, calabria are comparable. Good boats at a great price.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-24-2006, 7:18 PM Reply   
I think that my Calabria is one of the best boats for the money, Great surf wake! The boat dealer Larson Marine has been very good as well. I think the place where you buy your boat is as important as what you buy.

I would rather have a BU but for the money I am very happy with my decision.
Old     (supreme_rob)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-24-2006, 7:58 PM Reply   
I have a 2005 sky supreme 220sp and agree with Kelly, great boat for the money. I do like all the boats but for the amount I wanted to spend the supreme gave me the most bang for the buck!
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-25-2006, 8:09 AM Reply   
I always wondered the same thing. IMO Supreme had as good as if not better fit and finish than the Moomba and Calabria. The only draw back was not built in cooler on my '05 V220. I love my boat. Check my profile. Not really sure why Supreme gets no love from WW.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-25-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
I hear that Supreme is coming out with an all new... V212.... It will be a cross from the v208 and v220. All new hull.. Should be interesting!
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-25-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
My friend bought a V230 Supreme.
He paid 47K, so I was not impressed that it was a 'good boat for the price'. Maybe he got taken on the price. He has had a lot of problems with it. Engine kept dying, ballast pumps go out weekly (simer pumps) either the dealer or the manufacturer wired the batteries wrong so that only one battery was operable, the hatch on the storage compartment warped and had to be sent back. The dealer has been very good at getting it all fixed, but he did start to get that 'what is going to go wrong this time' feeling when he took the boat out.
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-25-2006, 10:46 AM Reply   
i have to agree with talltige on this one.

altho i have owned one for the last 3 years and we did get it for a pretty good price it really has been nothing but problems.

it only came with a 1 year warranty and of course we didnt have any probs that showed up until after that one year other then the missing gasket on the on a seat where the fiberglass was cut and the seat fell thru and tore it up(of course no response from Supreme or our dealer(out of state))

the ballast pumps work when they want and of course it is usually only one side. we have since resorted to just having 20 pop bags in for extra weight and not deal with them.

after replacing all ballast lines, the bilge, changing my own oil, and basically doing my own service over the last 2 years i have grown to a conclusion. SUPREME BOATS ARE BUILT LIKE CHIT.

i recently broke a driveshaft,yup, the 1 1/8" solid metal shaft sheared off, nothing has ever been hit with the boat and it sheared off. come to find out the motor was so out of alignement that it was rubbing through the metal(aluminum) guide under the boat and finally got to fiberglass, where it decided to make a hole in the boat before breaking. $2200 later and 3 months later i have finally got it back. i got to take all the interior seats out for this and it was a mess, nuts and bolts missing or triple nutted for whatever reason i dont know.

i am like talltige's friend where i am not sure what will go wrong next time i have it out. Cal Customs recently bought Supreme but has not done a thing for us nor has Arizona Discount Marine.

but dont get me wrong,when the boat is weighted properly it throws out a nice,steep wake.

sorry for my rant but i am feed up with getting stuck for bills that i shouldnt have to pay for. there is more to the story but i am tired of typing.
Old     (knwebs)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-25-2006, 10:48 AM Reply   
Age of business results in name branding, marketing, and dealerships. The most popular wakeboarding boats today are made by brands that met skier needs. Both the supreme and Ski Brendella (the has-been name of the now re-branded Calabria) had solid share in the tournament water skiing world until the early 90's when Mastercraft and Nautique put serious dollars into hull design to get the rooster tail and side spray down for the serious short-line skiers. Bu tried to offer their falcon as the result of competition but it tracked horribly and mainly used for the younger groups during tournaments. As a result more Master Crafts and Nautiques were sold and I'd say Bu was a distant third but nonetheless in the mix. So now with market trends changing courses to us wanted to buy expensive and large wakeboarding boats there are more of the three brands mentioned above in established dealerships. There are a few Supreme dealerships out there but Calabria is just now taking hold and beginning to spread their wings to the midwest. I'm not sure they have a dealership East of the Mississippi? All this said it ties back to the orginial question of why these two great boats don't get much recognition and it's because they don't have the dealerships, marketing, and quality brand image.

Sorry for the book but I have to make my point. I tournament skied for most of my life including skiing in nationals every year from 88-93. I placed second in the nationals in 92 behind Chris Parish and beat Jaime B out of second in a run-off. I have skied behind 95% of the boats out there! I have owned Nautique, Supra, Ski Supreme, and now two Calabria's. The Calabria is the ONLY boat I have purchased for a second time. This will tell you what I think of these boats.

Hope I answered your question Darin and don't stir up too many folks with my comments!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-25-2006, 10:58 AM Reply   
I think Ken said it best to answer your question with his first paragraph.

It's a numbers game on this site.....there are more owners of mastercraft, malibu, nautique...hence the "big 3" which results in them getting talked about the most.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-25-2006, 11:02 AM Reply   
The V230 is the worst wake perfomance out of their line. Doesn't explain the other issues your friend is having though. Engine dying etc... strange problems...
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       09-25-2006, 1:14 PM Reply   
I own a 06 V220 and am very happy with my purchase. I have been riding since the 90's and am fortunate enough to have a crew that pretty much owns a boat of every single manufacturer except Calabria. This year alone weve picked up an 06 enzo, 06 B52, 06 Star, 06BU, and mine, along with an 04Star, 02 SAN, 02 tige, 02Supreme and an 02 Elite V Wariior in the line up. Not to mention, we ride every weekend and at least once a week. So you can imagine that the shopping for my purchase early this year was going to be very critical and very comprehensive.
I have had only a stuck ballast pump, that was fixed while I waited and have over 120hrs for the summer already. My dealer(tracy boats-Scott) has been fantastic and accomodating to all my needs, as well as Ron from Kal Customs. Any question or problem has been handled immediatley and for free.
In regards to the actual boat. My wake is one of the favorite pics of all the crew, and seems to always be clean, no matter how much or how little weight(never crumbles) - usually very heavy though. Also, of all the "pullers", my supreme is also up there in the top 3 in regards to handling and eas.
Old    ssgoody2000            09-25-2006, 1:31 PM Reply   
I've been in the Marine industry for 15 yrs. sold just about everything. All boats can have issues. We don't know whats going to happen till they get in the water and that can take awhile to work out some bugs. They all use Chevy Blocks and simular parts and accessories. Ive sold the big three some like to say and many of the others. They can all have problems. It's a boat ,a toy, so remember they also have little stupid bugs to work out at times.
Old     (john32)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-25-2006, 5:37 PM Reply   
In further support with the Supreme owners they make a great boat for the money. I have a 2002 V208 Sky and could not be happier. Sturdy construction, looks good in the water, throws a killer wake, can't go wrong with a Supreme.
Old     (scott313)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-25-2006, 6:57 PM Reply   
I had a 2001 Supreme V220 for the last 5 years. We put over 900 hours on it and always ran at least 2000lbs+. The wake was great and the only problem we ever had was the fuel pump going out. They make great boats and are very underestimated, IMO
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-26-2006, 8:59 AM Reply   
Darin - I have a friend with similar issues as Jonny, so my opinion of Supreme is low. Pay the extra $5,000 and buy a Sanger.
Old    stillstandin            09-26-2006, 2:17 PM Reply   
I had a 03 220 DD. I thought it was a great boat. I put a lot of hours on it and had no problems. I would say there fit in finish is better then Centurian (they now have the interior guy who use to work for Bu) but not quite there with Sanger/Supra. Overall I would buy one again without hesitation, the Sanger V215 was just hard to pass up.
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-26-2006, 3:19 PM Reply   
Ken, if you were in the pro circut than you would have known that the Calbria is not the same as the Ski Bendlla. MB is now ski Bendlla. For the money the Calbria is the boat and Larson`s is the dealer for great service.Bummer for us guys who still like to ski that MB dosen`t offer a Inboard. I would never concider a boat like Sanger in the same class as the other low budjet boats.
Old     (v220ls)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-26-2006, 4:14 PM Reply   
My 1/1/2 cents:
I expected problems, when I got my Supreme had to down grade from a M/C. I have had very few problems. Great boat for the money, I would say its every bit as good as some of the others mentioned Sanger, Supra, Moomba.
As for the comments on the ski wakes yeah they have never build a boat with a good ski wake, but who cares. The plank sucks!
The big three are just that.
P.S. the boat doesn't make you ride any better
Peace
G
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-27-2006, 6:54 AM Reply   
I believe it to be something like this-

Brendella is now Calabria and I believe M. Brendella (formerly of Brendella boats)is now making MB sports. Hence the MB. I've been in a few Calabria's and I want one bad !!!

Not 100% sure but I believe Ken is right

(Message edited by bstroop on September 27, 2006)
Old     (knwebs)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-27-2006, 7:36 AM Reply   
Darin not to highjack your thread but need to set Philip straight. Philip, your facts are incorrect, MB started making boats in 94. Ski Brendella were made 88-98. Investor group bought out Brendel in 98 he suied and they lost the name thus Calabria started in 99. He still has MB but at one time had two lines of boats.
Old     (redhawks123rd)      Join Date: May 2006       09-27-2006, 10:18 AM Reply   
Has anyone else heard that MC wants to use Calabria's ballast system on their boats?
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-27-2006, 10:50 AM Reply   
Ken, wasn't the Falcon a Centurion....Centurion actually had a pretty strong promo team that put a lot of boats in front of tournaments in the late 80's...I remember driving a lot of them in regional and local events.
Old     (knwebs)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-27-2006, 11:17 AM Reply   
meathead, you are sooo right! I really liked skiing behind those falcon's and thought they looked good but I guess the drivers had a hard time keeping them on track. Sorry my bad. Echelon (sp?) might have been the bu.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-27-2006, 1:30 PM Reply   
Ken...tracking was fine at the level I was driving...some aggressive guys going deeper than 28 yanked it around pretty good, though.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-27-2006, 3:16 PM Reply   
alan, IIRC, mc has to pay calabria royalties because the patent is for ballast systems below the deck or in the hull or some crap like that. don't quote me, i'm only like 70% sure.
Old     (redhawks123rd)      Join Date: May 2006       09-27-2006, 5:11 PM Reply   
Yeah I heard it second hand, too from my friend who has an 05 cal air. He absolutley loves the boat but hates the trailer.
Old     (knwebs)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-28-2006, 8:37 AM Reply   
I second the "hates the trailer" I've had axle issues with both my trailers. However the trailer manu (DHM) is so easy to work with and getting them fixed it's hard to stay too mad!
Old     (redhawks123rd)      Join Date: May 2006       09-29-2006, 9:17 AM Reply   
The crash pads on my friends trailer don't stop the boat before it hits the hand winch. It makes it really hard to put the boat back on the trailer. The third time we took it out we put a chip in the bow. He's been trying to get the dealer to fix it but he's not having much success. I guess he should go straight to the trailer manufacturer.