Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-20-2017, 1:00 PM Reply   
So it finally happened to me, I got a hernia right at the beginning of spring

So this off season I have been working my A$$ off in the gym, jumping on the tramp and spending some money on my boat getting it ready for the season. I have been feeling some pain in my groin and wasn't sure what it was and like an idiot I didn't really slow down at all. Turns out I have an inguinal hernia which is the most common. I have a consultation this Wednesday and I'm going to try to get this surgery over with so I can get back in the gym and most importantly back on the water.

Anyone have experience with hernias? How long before you could ride again and how well did your stitch or mesh hold up wakeboarding?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-20-2017, 2:04 PM Reply   
grandpa had a hernia. he had to sit down to pee for a year

KIDDING. I know nothing about hernias. just take it easy so you don't get another. I do hang out with 2 old guys who have had double hernia surgery. they bitched about it for a few months then back to business as usual. Good luck and heal up quick. you'll be 100% with half the season left. I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Last edited by denverd1; 03-20-2017 at 2:12 PM.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       03-20-2017, 3:23 PM Reply   
How frustrating! Hope the consult is good and you're on the water ASAP!
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-20-2017, 4:12 PM Reply   
Yeah if you get it taken care of soon, you'll probably be out 6-8 weeks or so. Not too bad. Maybe be ready by mid-late may
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-20-2017, 9:27 PM Reply   
I had one when I was five. Wakeboarding was invented about 12 years later!
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       03-21-2017, 5:00 AM Reply   
Surgery is outpatient and will take about an hour plus one before and one after. Had one 30 years ago - much different back then and a 2nd one 2 years ago. Went in for surgery by mid February and was on the water mid May - ice came out very late that year. What I for sure wouldn't do is going back to the gym for a while ... as any weight lifting is really bad. To out this into perspective ... lifting sheet rock after 4 weeks is still a stupid idea. Be patient and let it heal ... otherwise your season is really over. And yes - sitting is easier and your wife will appreciate it - believe me - no target practice for a while
Slight discomfort can occur occasionally even after a year but is now gone
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-21-2017, 7:09 AM Reply   
HA yeah I'm shooting for mid May if I can get into surgery pretty quick. I guess I will just have to settle for filming my friends ride until I'm healed up.

Let me spice this thread up, here's a video a made a couple weeks ago.

from Stephen Pliler on Vimeo.

Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-21-2017, 7:27 AM Reply   
I don't know why I double posted that
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-21-2017, 2:27 PM Reply   
cool vid