Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-22-2010, 12:59 PM Reply   
Ok So we have the rematch between Edgar Fletcher & BJ Penn. IMO The first fight was pretty much a draw so I was surprised they gave it to Fletcher. BJ really needs to make sure he comes into this fight in good shape, if he does I think he will win back the belt. Frankie is just one of those guys who made himself the champ by shear heard work and determination. I don't think he posses the skill set Penn does, I just think he works harder. That being said, looking forward to a really good fight.

Couture Vs Lights out Toney. This is actually a dangerous fight for Couture and for Dana White. Toney has some devastating stand up and we all know Rands chin isn't what it used to be. If Couture shoots and gets hit coming in it's all over and MMA looks stupid because a Boxer (Over the hill Boxer) comes in and knocks out a former UFC Champion. Now on the other hand, even though there is that possibility of Couture getting caught, I don't see it happening. Couture will go in, put Toney on his butt, and grind out a win on the ground. Actually looking forward to this fight the most.

As far as the other fights, I really haven't checked the whole card out yet. I will leave that up to DTW so he can get us all pumped up for this coming weekend.
Old     (TheSarge)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-22-2010, 1:46 PM Reply   
Edgar Fletcher? Frankie Edgar right?
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-22-2010, 7:50 PM Reply   
Lol, sorry man what was I thinking. Thats why I should leave these posts to Dave.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-23-2010, 8:55 AM Reply   
BJ will come out and dominate. Couture to grind the win (although I am afraid for him either way), Florian slits Maynard face open with a razor elbow from the bottom, and Diaz proves with a knockout that his boxing may not look great, but it works.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-23-2010, 9:27 AM Reply   
I want to see the Florian Maynard fight. I think that is the big one for me on this card. If Penn comes in shape he should dominate. The last fight when he entered the ring I could tell he was in trouble. He looked pudgy. When he fought Diego and Kenny his two previous fights he was in dam good shape. It always seems Penn is as good as he wants to be. And after the loss he should be motivated.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-23-2010, 9:52 AM Reply   
I have decided to quit watching the UFC after Silva won that last PPV. I can't handle screaming like a little girl getting her first pony for 4.5 rounds only to be disappointed and looking foolish in the end. FML.....I hate this sport. Yes, I am still not over it.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-23-2010, 10:37 AM Reply   
Phatboy you are lucky I don't have my camera here. I would post some pics and I don't think it was the screaming that made us look foolish. You can't quit I must continue my streak of losing money to you every UFC card in our bets!
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-23-2010, 3:28 PM Reply   
The only time I eve lost my voice yelling for my guy to win was when Couture beat Sylvia for the heavy weight title a few years ago.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-23-2010, 3:50 PM Reply   
Phatboy and I take the UFC very seriously!
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-23-2010, 4:44 PM Reply   
Holy crap - How good was the last WEC card? Two of the best fights of the year. Benviedez will be the man in another year or so.

How 'bout that illegal knee on Saturday on Strikeforce? Right after the hit after the bell (which could not have been stopped)?
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-25-2010, 9:57 AM Reply   
Where is DTW? I need my scouting report so I can take Phatboy down in our bets!
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-25-2010, 11:13 AM Reply   
Mike - Just look at my scouting/prediction report above.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-25-2010, 1:12 PM Reply   
Jason,
Thanks I was looking for DTW's insight on the other fights. Sometimes I don't even know who these guys are and DTW has some mad knowledge!
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-25-2010, 5:48 PM Reply   
Ever since we went to the new website, DTW has been hard to find. I loved his write-ups, especially on the people I didn't know. Although if Mike typically uses DTW for his picks I could be in trouble. I am on quite a winning streak lately......lol.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-25-2010, 11:01 PM Reply   
Yeah a lot of people don't come to the site like they used to once they made the changes. I know I used to post everyday and there has bene several months where I haven't even been to the site. I think the new site looks much better but whatever the reason I mistt the simpicity of the old site.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-26-2010, 8:47 AM Reply   
Phatboy you know I usually get too drunk and don't even remember DTW's picks. I actually just really enjoy his write ups because it gives me atleast a little background on some of the fighters I know nothing about.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-27-2010, 7:49 AM Reply   
I see James toney is like +600 to win. Definitely worth a few bucks for the "just in case he gets that on punch in". I don't see it happening, but...It's pretty bad when the world champion(edgar) is the underdog.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-27-2010, 11:11 AM Reply   
I'm here. Just super busy with lots of stuff I won't bore you guys with. Thanks for the kind words. Here is my take on the fights:

Edgar vs. Penn (LW Championship) - I'm thinking that BJ didn't take Edgar seriously in the first fight and he certainly will this time. BJ's mind has always been his biggest obstacle. We all know he is practically unbeatable when he dedicates himself to the fight. Having said that, I have always been impressed by Edgar. He's not been finished and I think this is a challenge for BJ. I can really see this going either way, but feel a BJ win is on the horizon.

Couture vs. Toney - Like Daniel said, this could be a very dangerous fight. Although, does it really matter who wins? We all know that more than likely, 8 or 9 times out of 10, Couture will win this fight. All he has to do is stay out of Toney's power range and either get him on the ground OR press him up against the cage and dirty box. Part of me is hoping Toney has some really undiscovered MMA skill that he will unveil Saturday evening. Couture by tko.

Florian vs. Maynard - Winner gets the champ next, whoever that is. I'm sure everyone knows how much I like Florian's game. I feel he has not shown his true self at all in either of his title fights, and would really love to see the real KenFlo in a title fight. Having said that, Maynard is tough as nails. Bully wrestler with big power in his hands. I think KenFlo is the much more well rounded fighter, but Maynard is the bigger stronger wrestler and could lay n pray his way to a w. I hope KenFlo wins. Really.

Maia vs. Miranda - Maia trying to come back from his loss to Silva. Miranda is an up and coming MW with a great record and lots of potential. We all know Maia's game. Maia by submission.

Davis vs. Nate Diaz - This is a damn interesting fight for me. Both these guys are tough. Davis hits HARD. Diaz hasn't been finished. Diaz is great on the ground. Very interesting matchup IMO. I could see this one going either way too. But all I'm hoping for is a finish!!!!
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-27-2010, 12:32 PM Reply   
Glad to have you back Dave.. these threads are not the same without you.

I'm really pulling for KenFlo.. I am a big fan.

Nate Diaz... yuck.

...And that's my contribution, folks.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-27-2010, 1:18 PM Reply   
how can you hate on the 'local' boy like that? Like him or hate him, he and his brother both have amazing skills.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-27-2010, 3:20 PM Reply   
Uh.. he's Stockton.. I'm Sacramento. I want no part in claiming the Diaz morons as locals!
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-27-2010, 4:44 PM Reply   
I thought NorCal was all the same....
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-28-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
Shut yur neck KKM!
Nor Cal is dignified,not like that 209 trash.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-28-2010, 11:14 AM Reply   
Exactly. Thank you.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-28-2010, 12:10 PM Reply   
Sounds like 209 should be SoCal then......

hahahaha

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. Just teasing.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-28-2010, 2:17 PM Reply   
It's hard to pull for them,even when I've been to Cesars school and his tourneys.......those guys are just bad,almost embarrassing.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-28-2010, 2:34 PM Reply   
209 is comparable to the 909...
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-28-2010, 10:08 PM Reply   
Toneys ground defense is laughable.You can tell by the way his feet were just flayling in the air.
There is NO way he has been training ground for 9 months,his stuff is first day of class bad.
I dont think its his trainers per se,but I really think he didn't need/want to actually work ground.

Out of MMA very soon imo.

BJ-He'll either retire or move up in weight....Edgar took his soul.

Creepy-Looked awesome against Cake(Godzilla)

Nate-Relentless as ever.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-28-2010, 10:29 PM Reply   
I want someone to knock Nate the crap out, can't stand that idiot. BJ Penn is not the fighter I help him up to be. Frankies Wreslting and cardio is freaking amazing. Grsay Maynard is probably going to end up the light weight champ. Boxing took a huge blow tonight. The big gamble from Dana White paid off big. Boxing fans will have no excuse, they can't say Toney was over the hill because Couture is 6 years older then he is. Not a great night of fights in my opinion. I was very impressed with Damien Maya good lord that guy is a monster on the ground.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-28-2010, 11:09 PM Reply   
You might think maynard can take Edgar. But I thought Penn was going to destroy Edgar and the first fight was just an anomaly but man Edgar looked good and I won't doubt him until he gets beat. Penn is either done or needs to move up he just looked so slow and I was shocked the way he was taken down and reversed on the ground. The rest of the fights were pretty boring compared to the last couple cards.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-29-2010, 5:39 AM Reply   
I don't think penn is a natural lightweight like edgar. I think he has to work too hard to maintain 155. ^Agreed, he needs to move up in weight. Maynard v. Edgar should be good.

I still want to see GSP v. A. Silva. After the punishment he(silva) took in his last fight (hell of a win btw) could be best fight ever in MMA history.

NO boxer should last a round with an MMA fighter.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-29-2010, 7:51 AM Reply   
Nobody is mentioning the PRISON RAPE that Lauzon put on Ruediger. Holy crap. That was amazing.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-29-2010, 8:03 AM Reply   
good call, dtw. You think J-Lau was a little fired up to fight in his hometown, man he opened up a can.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-29-2010, 11:00 AM Reply   
Lauzon performance was so awsome. Talk about complete domination!
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-29-2010, 11:30 AM Reply   
Bonuses:

Lauzon = 60k for SUB of the night
Diaz + Davis = 60k each for FIGHT of the night

there was no KO last night.

Sometimes I disagree with these choices. While I loved the performance that Lauzon put forth, I really was a bit more impressed with the submission Dan Miller locked on Salter. That choke was just plain nasty. Especially since there was no KO of the night, I think Mr Miller should be getting a $60k bonus as well. Dana, did you hear what I said?
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-29-2010, 12:44 PM Reply   
Honestly Penn really let me down. I was stoked for his fight, though he would train and make adjustments and he fought the exact same way he did in the first fight. I don't think Penn is really that motivated anymore, he came out in the walk up and tried to be like Fedor all expressionless, I thought Ok lets see what this is all about? It was about nothing,Penn got his Butt handed to him by a quicker younger better in shape Frankie Edgar.

Randy Couture never dissapoints, i have to say It wouldn't surprise me if he was still fighting at 50 and beating guys in their 20's. He truly is Captain America. Speaking of Lauzon when did that fight take place? I didn't see his fight?
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-29-2010, 1:29 PM Reply   
The Lauzon fight was on the free Spike prelims, but they also aired it during the PPV. Simply a mauling. There is no other way to describe what Lauzon did. And Ruediger is really not that bad a fighter. Prison Rape i said before, and I am willing to stand behind my words.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-29-2010, 1:34 PM Reply   
I mentioned it,but called him by his given UG nickname..........Creepy.

Where you been mang?

You don't post here,the UG,or FB anymore? You switch to Matbattle?

*hurted feelinz*
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-29-2010, 2:04 PM Reply   
Heavy stuff going on. Just not much time. Ain't even been on the water since i seen you at Camp Far West.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-29-2010, 2:43 PM Reply   
Bummer,I really hope things get better for you mang.

I was on the water early this mornin.....but if ya had the FB,you'd know dat.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-29-2010, 3:54 PM Reply   
Things are headed in the right direction. Takes time tho. I'm no Creepy J-Lau!!!!
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-29-2010, 9:12 PM Reply   
Good to hear.

If you'd been to the UG,you'd see my amazing Q&A bit with Shane Carwin regaurding his new boat and how he just learned how to wakesurf without the rope.............I'd smoke that rookie!

LOL