Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (austin_the_wakeboard_man)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-13-2010, 4:28 PM Reply   
i felt like i got a little closer everytime just cant figure out why im falling back i sent this into learnwake ang kyles advice helped but still feal like some more help would be nice thankyou
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-14-2010, 6:08 PM Reply   
That happens to me when I over rotate. Make sure your head points behind you, not at the shore (I look down with my eyes to spot the water, some ppl say look at your landing wake). If you look at the shore, you'll over rotate. If you pass the handle too early, you'll probably over rotate (unless you look behind you to stop the rotation). I would work on getting comfortable on landing blind (it's scary w2w, so first I mastered doing it on the surface, then one wake -- both inside out and outside in). After mastering that, w2w was easy. My problem now is that when I try to take it big into the flats, I can't seem absorb the landing with my knees when in the blind position, so I end up having to pass, else the handle gets ripped out. So I still don't own this. Feel like I've sunk a lot of time into this trick, but it opens so many doors, that I feel it's worth while.

What did Kyle tell you? Please let me know if what I said contradicts him in any way and I will punch myself in the gut as hard as I can for being a moron.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-14-2010, 6:42 PM Reply   
looks to me like you are landing too stiff . you need soft legs as shaun murray puts it absorb the landing that will let you roll your shoulders over your toes to get on edge.
Old     (austin_the_wakeboard_man)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-14-2010, 8:11 PM Reply   
ok thanks guys kyle told me i was spining my board less than my body so i wasnt twisted the same on my top half as my second thanks for the advice guys i think it will help and i didnt relize it but i do kinda land stiff and Alain i got my ollie and inside out back 1s good but i havent did a 1 wake do you think that step helps
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-15-2010, 10:10 AM Reply   
Austin, if you've got the inside out and ollie dialed, not sure one wake outside in will help. Probably wouldn't hurt though. After I started flailing last weekend trying to take the BS1 big and grab it, my buddy Brant suggested I step it back a notch and practice small w2w some more. I think he's right. Same advise might help you also. Shorten the rope so you clear without having to cut hard and do a bunch of small ones to let the body figure it out, then gradually take them bigger. Might just work. Honestly, I don't even understand what Kyle meant from your post, but that's probably cause he's a pro and I'm a shmo.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-15-2010, 5:59 PM Reply   
austin i see what kyle is saying once you land your board rotation catches up with your body rotation.but softening your legs for your landing will help with your landing. you will get some resistance from the water so you can roll your shoulders over and get on your toeside to edge away.
Old     (austin_the_wakeboard_man)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-15-2010, 8:22 PM Reply   
thankyou for the help guys i tried like 2 more today and got super super close ill remember these new tips next time out and hopefully get it
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-18-2010, 11:15 PM Reply   
Austin,

2 things....

The nose of your board looks high to me. This is throwing off your axis, sending you out the back. When you edge out and go flat...be a little more subtle on your turn back in...and feel your front foot. You may need to consciously shift your body a bit towards the nose of the board. All it will take is moving your right hip a few inches more over your right foot. Do this as soon as you flatten off. This position will carry all the way though to the wake...into the air...then when you spin the BS1...you will be more centered on the board....and wont go out the back. Practice doing this a few dozen times before you throw the BS1.

Also, on your first attempt...it is clear that you are bringing your head around. For blind landings your head must stop. At landing, your head should be pointing in the same direction as the rope...directly away from the boat. Your shoulders should be square to that direction. Practice riding cuffed up and down over the landing wake...just looking at the wake directly behind you. This is your landing position. Riding up and down a wake that you can not see, will help build strength in this position.

This sh** aint easy. I landed one textbook two weeks ago...and this Sat I could not even get the stones to try even one. Just wasn't feeling it...

Last edited by kitewake; 07-18-2010 at 11:25 PM.