Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-14-2010, 10:28 AM Reply   
I have new vinyl skins for my 04 X2. Should I be taking this to an upholstery shop to have it done or can I get away with doing it myself? I have a pneumatic stapler and can get either galvanized or stainless staples. Is there an art to this or are they like pillow covers?

If it's deemed that it's not a DIY, what's a ballpark price of what I should expect to pay?

Thanks in advance.
Old     (wtrgrl)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-14-2010, 10:40 AM Reply   
Do it yourself with the help of a friend. It's not that hard. If you get into it and realize its not something you want to do you can always pay someone.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-14-2010, 1:18 PM Reply   
true enough I suppose. Have you done it? Are there any tricks that I should know about? Are galvanized staples good enough or should I be using stainless or something else? Thanks.
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-14-2010, 2:54 PM Reply   
Use the stainless staples and warm up the vinyl really well as you stretch it and staple it.

You can either set it in the sun or work within a few feet of a space heater. I redid the rear bench in my X-star and it was pretty easy. If you need the vinyl trim that hides the staples you can pick up a roll of that at a vinyl supply store for cheap (maybe $10 - $20).
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-14-2010, 6:13 PM Reply   
Sorry to hijack, but.. Where did you order the replacement skins from? or did you have to have them custom made? Some of the vinyl near the engine cover on our supra is starting to crack, and it might be time to start looking into getting it redone.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-14-2010, 7:01 PM Reply   
Actually the guys at Mastercraft did me a huge solid and sent me all new skins when I called them and told them that I was having cracking problems three years after the warranty expired. Your mileage may vary....
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-14-2010, 7:02 PM Reply   
and thanks for the above advice, I'll give it a whirl this weekend and see how far I get.
Old     (supraride)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-14-2010, 7:31 PM Reply   
Brett, You can get them from supra. You might go thru your local dealer or just contact them direct. I got some done last year and the supra people were awesome. It takes awhile so I would order them soon. You will need your boats number to give them when you order. Good Luck.