Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-30-2011, 3:03 PM Reply   
I am done with linksys.

I don't even hardly use the wireless part. All cat 5 and it still puked.
Every freaking year. 11 months on average i have to go and buy another cursed router.

These beatches aint geting another nickle.
What do you suggest? Not a gamer, just a worker who sends large files.

I need at least 4 wired ports and wireless for couch surfing.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-30-2011, 6:03 PM Reply   
Every Linksys I've bought has a 12 month warranty...

Can't comment on other brands, although I work in IT all I ever seem to use is Linksys/Cisco, but I have had a few Linksys routers crap out on me come to think of it.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-30-2011, 6:07 PM Reply   
After burning through probably six linksys routers - I went with Belkin probably 3 years ago and haven't touched it since. I move A LOT of traffic around this house and it has been excellent.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-30-2011, 6:51 PM Reply   
X2 for Belkin. 3 routers in 3 years and I was done with them. I should have learned sooner.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-30-2011, 9:19 PM Reply   
Are you using an UPS with them? I used to go thru routers and cable modems. Picked up a UPS in our old house because the power would flicker and go out during storms. Fast forward a few years, networking gear and modem are still working. I'd guess they are sensitive to power fluctuations.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-30-2011, 9:26 PM Reply   
Festool Makes the best Router!

LOL
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-30-2011, 9:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post

LOL
I like it.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-01-2011, 6:49 AM Reply   
I use to purchase Linksys and found that they don't last very long and overheat. I think that started with Cisco purchased them and they have been going downhill ever since then.

I currently have a Netgear router at home and couldn't be any happier with it. This purchase was 2.5 years ago and haven't been disappointed in that purchase.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-01-2011, 7:42 AM Reply   
I went through a stack of routers over the last 10 years as I am the IT guy. I have now switched my business, house, parents houses, employees house,etc.... to the Apple Airport and have never had one issue. The one I put in my house has not dropped once in 5 years. I used to have to reset other routers all the time and issues with firmware and such, that is all gone. Also the wifi on it never drops. I have a devices that tap into it and never had an issue connecting. Typical Apple product I suppose - plug it in and it works.
Old    bigdtx            12-01-2011, 7:45 AM Reply   
D-Link or Belkin does everything that a linksys will do for a lot less money.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       12-01-2011, 8:10 AM Reply   
Belkin!
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-01-2011, 10:40 AM Reply   
baitkiller,
for the amount of money you and some others have spent, I'm inclined to suggest some low-end business routers from SonicWall or WatchGuard.

They can be pricey initially, and both run Yearly subscription services, but the features, throughput, options and configurability, might be a good fit for your setup. Warranties and Customer Service on these units are much better as well compared to a OTC purchase at a big box store.

Just my $.02.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       12-01-2011, 3:10 PM Reply   
+1 for apple airport, with the base station extreme you get a dual band wireless N network.

If You want you can use the airport express to extend the network in certain parts of the house (if your house is big and you find a dead spot, or in my case I'm able to plug my xbox in to the airport express for xbox live without having to buy the wireless adapter. I'm also able to stream music to my home theater in my bedroom and in my living room which is great for parties since I can have my tower speakers out on the roof playing the same music as the downstairs home theater with the laptop music source in a secure location controlled by the iphone/ipad remote app. With the addition of the connected external hard drive my house's media is available at any computer/tv instantly. After going through Linksys/Belkin/Netgear routers that always crapped out Apple routers just make my life simple.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       12-01-2011, 3:29 PM Reply   
Thanks fellas.
Done with Cisco / Linksys, hate Netgear due to 3 crummy network adapters I bought before sucking it up and pulling wire through the walls. Not an Apple guy for allot of stupid personal reasons.
Bought a Belkin N750 for about 90 clams at Staples on the way home.
I dumped all the Cisco software, ran the disc, set up the wired network for 3 desk tops and a printer plus a secure wireless for couch surfing.
2 hours. I suck, I know but it's done and seems faster than the old one if that's possible?
I dunno, just seems a little quicker and my machine hauls butt anyway.
Thanks again.
Old     (bcoppinger)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-02-2011, 11:29 AM Reply   
I would second the low end SonicWall suggestion. We have had really good luck with ours.
Old    SamIngram            12-02-2011, 2:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post

LOL
I was actually thinking the very same thing when I saw this thread! I just got their miter saw and cordless drill!!

But this is the router that I just bought on Amazon...

http://gizmodo.com/5858622/netgear-w...t?tag=bestmodo
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       12-02-2011, 4:25 PM Reply   
+1 for netgear